Agadir Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Agadir

• sachara's Profile Photo

Enjoy the beachlife

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2013

Most people come to Agadir to enjoy the sun and beachlife. The beach is huge, clean and hassle free. The city authorities keep the beach clean and safe. Unintimidating police patrols minimise hassle from hustlers and hawkers.

Warnings:

* Swimming in the ocean can be dangerous because of the undertow. Along the beach are several watchtowers. So pay attention, if they give a sign by whistling. (picture 1)

* Sometimes at sunny afternoons the beach can be very crowded at some parts (picture 2)

* In the mornings till 11am it is very often cloudy or hazy, you can't even see the kasbah hill (picture 3)

* Keep the beach clean (picture 4)

* You can rent pedalos, jetski's, surfboards and surfski's. There are only a few 'entrances' where you can go into the ocean to surf, to ski and so on. From the beach the first 150m is only for swimming, from 150 m is for surfing and from 300m is for jetski. (picture 5)

• Windsurfing
    • Water Sports

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Pickpockets and grab and runners in Inezgane

by angiebabe Updated Sep 7, 2012

Inezgane

Inezgane is a town between Agadir and the airport and is known as a major hub for bus and grande taxi transport to destinations all over Morocco.

Ive been put on a bus from here to Marrakech at about 10 or 11pm at night and its still full on busy with many buses readying to depart and passengers coming and going - my Moroccan connections were so concerned they stayed right to when i got up into my seat in the bus! (and they know I know Morocco and travel independently well there).

Each time Im here Ive been told to hold onto my bags, take care to watch out and shut the car windows! Seriously that its a place to be careful of your belongings and yourself.

Basically my Moroccan connections would say if you are vulnerable eg. an obvious tourist, trying to manage luggage and bags and things, dont speak the language, travelling on your own then dont arrive or plan to depart from here at night.

During the day the long building with its full lenth row of arches is rather impressive!

• Women's Travel

• piosku67's Profile Photo

culture shock

by piosku67 Written Feb 10, 2010

I flew to Agadir in February 2009 and unsurprisingly heavy rains welcomed us though some days ago it had been quite sunny and warm. Be prepared for it, though if you are not fond of heat and love walking, biking, hiking or whatever it’s the best time for it. Before my stay in Agadir I was sceptical about conditions of a hotel but it was very good. It was “Le Tivoli”. I think for those who tend to stay rather in a hotel room it’s a most convenient place. But an enormous mess because of the sudden repair in the streets scared us when we tried with my friend to reach the nearby beach. The repair was order by The King – we heard from our guide.
    But the most irritable thing which I experienced in this country is the way street traders talked to me pressing to buy and offering different things though when I wanted to get some information it was impossible. What’s more, I was deceived by taxi drivers once because he got more money than we agreed before a ride.
    I think the culture of contract is quite opposite what I am used to. I experienced it many times and was often upset and depressed in Agadir and while traveling to Marrakech. Another thing was the fact that we could not walk along the beaches in this direction where is the King’s palace. An armed soldier ordered us to come back to the area of hotels for foreigners and the pedestrian precinct. That was to much for me because normally I go almost everywhere on foot and love exploring cities and rural areas in this way crossing many barriers sometimes.
    Another thing was the habit of drinking mineral water or anything else just because you’re thirsty. We were wandering in the streets of Marrakech and decided to buy a bottle of water or a yogurt. But the shop was connected with another one hidden and they were selling alcohol which for me couldn’t exist at all. I’ m not fond of alcohol. The appearance of white, European tourists nearby indicates they eager to buy some vodka or some beer. We were extremely thirsty and spontaneously started drink water or yogurt just outside the shop. It caused the sharp reaction of passersby who though it was alcohol beverage. Some Moroccan guy started to shout. We were scared.

• Hiking and Walking

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Taxi ripoff

by gugi66 Written Oct 25, 2008

There are alot of taxis in Agadir, most of them are red they are the most common. Make sure that BEFORE you start your journey with the taxi that you tell the driver to put on the meter or agree on a fix price. BEFORE he starts.

I had alot of problems here with taxi drivers. They take long ways arond the city so the fare will cost more, if you have a map look at it and dont be shy to tell the driver that hes going in circles or taking long ways.

When they see that you know your way around the tripp goes much faster.

• Religious Travel

• Discotheques of Agadir!

by HansAlbers Written Dec 12, 2006

The prices in some discotheques of Agadir are incredibly high.
    Thus costs, e.g., a beer 0.2 l or a coke in the La Dreams = 80DH (~8 Euro). This is rip-off only and the female guests in e.g. La Dreams are predominantly professionals.
    This is really a great pity and is not that what one expects from a disco
    Thus an evening in Agadir can already cost several hundred euros! Thus take no more money with in a disco when you can be economical or want.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• Shop near to Cafe Restaurant Capuccino/Sky Sport

by HansAlbers Written Dec 12, 2006

Be carefull on the street between Hassan II and Mohamed V. (Starting from La Fontaine ends to Pizza Hut) The shops clossed to the restaurant Capuucino are very agressive and they want to get your money with all kind of methods. If they can no sell anything to you, they offer drugs or girls too. In all cases you will be kidded so and drugs and hookers are strictly fobidden in Marocco.
    Besides, it concerns well-functioning teams like Mustafa (Shop) and Ibrahim (waiter of the Restaurant/Cafe)
    Since certainly which you get there nothing else than one empty change purse and, perhaps, prison. The police of Agadir there will soon hopefully clear up

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

~ Strong Undercurrents in the Sea ~

by Heavens-Mirror Written Aug 20, 2006

~ Agadir Beach ~

Beware when going in the sea on Agadir beach, sometimes the currents are very strong and you have to get out of the water quickly.
    But dont let this put you off as the sea is beautiful and is great to cool down in when you have been sunbathing all day long.

Theft :-(

AGADIR BEACH - ONE MORE VIEW

I almost always parked my car on guarded parkings at night in Morocco. In Agadir I parked my car on guarded parking lot in front of my El Bahia hotel (US$ 1 per day).

Once I left a car on the opposite site of the street. The next morning I noticed all my wheel-covers (I called them socks haha) had missed. Somebody stole them at night, 5 m (10 yards) from the guarded parking, strange. It was the last time I parked a car at night on unguarded place. Never, never more I was robbed in Morocco.

Not so warm Atlantic Ocean

WIDE BEACH OF AGADIR

Many (most) visitors, especially those who never saw any ocean, may expect very warm water in the Atlantic ocean in Agadir. In real it's not as warm as at the Mediterranean Sea for example. It was warm enough to enjoy it in October although some folks may like warmer one. Better use a swimming pool at your hotel in that case.

Undercurrents and no life-guards

AGADIR BEACH

The ocean in Agadir is fantastic, hides are very low, waves moderate or low - good for swimming lovers. There are only quite strong undercurrents (up to 1 m below the water level) which are a little dangerous. Better be carefull while swimming.

The beach is public (free). There are no life-guards on the beach.

Watch what you eat

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 24, 2005

AGADIR, HOTEL ZONE CLOSE TO THE BEACH

Agadir is located in the south of Morocco, the climate is hot, so almost all food should be stored in friges. But in some local groceries close to CTM bus station it is NOT or the temperature inside them is only a bit lower than outside. So, be careful if your stomach is sensitive. Mine isn't. I ate various local food and nothing bad happened.

Generally Agadir is clean place with no insects when I was there. Especially the zone near the ocean full of hotels looks very clean.

• Terrible wine

by annamantere Updated Jul 4, 2003

I don´t know if it was my tastebuds or what was wrong, but all the wines we drank in Morocco tasted quite bad.. I would like to say awful, but maybe that´s too strong a word... Mind you, we had a budget to stick to, so the wines were always pretty cheap, probably the more expencive ones would have been tasty enough.
    and we only drank red wine, so don´t know about the white.

Instant Answers: Agadir

Comments

Agadir Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Agadir warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Agadir sightseeing.