Atlas Favorites

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Reaching the summit of Toubkal

by barryg23 Written Apr 23, 2007

On top of Toubkal

Fondest memory: I think my fondest memory of our time in the Atlas mountains was reaching the summit of Jebel Toubkal. Toubkal is the highest mountain in Morocco and at 4167 metres it is the highest point to which I have hiked. It had been a very tough 5 hours from the refuge to the summit so to finally make it to the top was quite a thrill, not to mention a big relief. I shared the moment with a group of other climbers who arrived just after me. But none of them was as tall as me so for a couple of minutes I was above everyone and everything in Morocco!

Baby camel

Baby camel

Fondest memory: One of my very happy memories from the Atlas Mountains, was seeing a really cute baby camel at the side of the road. There were also sheep and goats all along, but I really took to this lovely little fellah.

What a mixture

Palm trees and snow

Fondest memory: One of the strangest things I saw, was a nice, tropical palm tree in the foreground with a majestic, snow-capped mountain in the background. This juxtapositioning was to me absolutely incredulous. How can this be?

Life along the road

by grets Written May 10, 2005

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memories about this place was the way life carried on alongside the road as it has done for centuries. Old, traditionally clad, men on donkeys carry home goods bought in the market to viilages built on the hillsides.

Visit a local home

Berber Home

Fondest memory: When we stopped to see the flour mill, I got invited in to one of the local Berber homes, which was very interesting. The lady tried to explain to me (she spoke no English and I don't speak the local language) about how they live, cook, eat, work and sleep in this compound. It is very basic and traditional, but seems to work well for them.

Instant Answers: Atlas

Comments

Atlas Favorites

Reviews and photos of Atlas favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Atlas sightseeing.