Essaouira Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Essaouira

• Souiri's Profile Photo

Essaouira's Historic medina street map

by Souiri Written Jul 5, 2010

Favorite thing: It is next to impossible to find a Map with Street names of Essaouira medina :/ not anymore :D I found an Acrobat PDF format map of Essaouira's medina that you can print right off in no time and for Free :) Try this link http://e-essaouira.com/EssaouiraMedinaMap.html

• Photography
    • Architecture
    • Festivals

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Place Moulay Hassan

by toonsarah Written Nov 22, 2009

Place Moulay Hassan, Essaouira

Fondest memory: After a stressful time on the previous day, dealing with doctors and clinics and having my foot put in plaster, a few hours in Essaouira’s main square, the Place Moulay Hassan, was just what we both needed. Although not tranquil, the pace of life is slower here than in Marrakesh. There is plenty to observe but people take a little more time to talk to each other, and to look around and appreciate their surroundings.

And what surroundings! The square benefits from having the ramparts of the Medina as a backdrop, and the crashing waves of the Atlantic as a foreground. As we sat in a café on the town side we could see the fortification of the Skala du Port shaded almost violet by the haze and the spray, and to our left the glare of the sunlight on the white rampart wall, or Skala de la Ville, encircling the Medina. Seagulls swirled around the lamp-posts, which like some of the buildings here struck me as very European in design.

The square is also a great place for people watching, and later I relaxed on a bench near the 18th century port gateway, watching locals and visitors coming and going, and grabbing some candid photos and soaking up the warm sunshine. It was most probably here, just 24 hours after I had emerged, “plastered” and on crutches, from a Marrakesh clinic, that I realised that it would still be possible to have something of a holiday and enjoy just a little of Morocco after all.

• windcity's Profile Photo

Everything in Essaouira is within walking distance

by windcity Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: Everything in Essaouira is within walking distance, If your luggage is on wheels you can manage. You can also hire a carousa, a man with a blue cart, who will walk with you to your hotel. It will cost about 10Dirhams although you will get asked for more. Alternatively you can take a petite taxi, also blue for 6Dh. You will find both options at the Supratours bus stop.
    Enjoy your stay

• Windsurfing
    • Women's Travel

Medina

by iwys Updated Apr 3, 2007

Favorite thing: Essaouira's Medina, with its beautiful streets and souks, is a place you will often find yourself wandering through, usually along the main street, which runs north, all the way through the old city, from the Clocktower to Bab Doukkala. The southern half is called Avenue D'Istiglal, while the northern half is named Avenue Mohammed Zerktouni.

The Fishing Harbour

by iwys Updated Apr 3, 2007

Favorite thing: The fishing harbour seems to be the hub of Essaouira's economy. It is a bustling place, full of blue fishing boats, fishermen mending nets, repairing boats, selling their catch etc. It is very picturesque and when I was there some French artists were painting watercolours of the scene.

The Beach

by iwys Updated Oct 9, 2006

Favorite thing: Essaouira has two beaches: one to the north of town and one to the south, but it is the southern beach wich is the biggest and the one which is lined with hotels. In the daytime it is dotted with French tourists, sunbathing while in the evenings it is full of locals playing football.

There are strong winds here and the sea is fairly rough, so it is not ideal for swimming.

Seafood

by iwys Written Oct 9, 2006

Favorite thing: Essaouira is a great place for every type of seafood, ranging for sardines to lobsters. I must say I never rated sardines much until I came here, but the ones served at Chez Sam are delicious.

You can see the fishing boats bringing in their catch in the harbour, then see it being sold in the fish souk and, finally, go to one of the fish grill foodstalls or restaurants to eat it.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

In search of babouches

by barryg23 Updated Jul 25, 2005

Ruth about to go bargaining

Fondest memory: Essaouira had a reputation as an easier place to shop (in terms of hassle) than places such as Marrakech or Fes. With this in mind, we planned to try buying a pair of babouches for Ruth's dad, for somewhere between 40-60 Dh. We started on Rue Laalouj, at a place selling mainly bags & clothes and some random items. They didn't have the exact type of babouches (yellow, pointed) we wanted but instead tried to sell us a shoddy looking white pair for 100Dh.

In the next shop, the shopkeeper came out to speak to us almost as soon as we'd stopped. He didn't have quite what we wanted but still persuaded us to come inside the shop for a look around. These shopkeepers are well used to dealing with tourists and can be very persuasive. He finally found the type and size we wanted, though I think he had to pop out to another shop to get them as he was gone quite a while. Then the haggling began. He wanted 200 Dh, Ruth offered 40. When we claimed to be students he reduced his offer to 180 and we went to 50. His final offer was 150 but we didn't want to go above 60.

In the end we couldn't actually agree a price but all the bargaining was quite fun. And I normally hate shopping... As we were leaving the guy said to us "You want to buy a camel but pay for a donkey".

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Goats climbing argan trees

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 27, 2005

DO  ENLARGE:  GOATS  ON  AN  ARGAN TREE

Favorite thing: As always, I wanted to see something more driving from Essaouira towards Agadir. So, south of Essaouira, I took a secondary gravel road towards the Atlantic Ocean.

I was very surprised to see numerous goats climbing trees. There are, unique to Morocco, argan trees (Argania spinosa) which have a fruit similar to olives, used to press an argan oil. Goats climb argan trees to eat their leaves and young fruits.

Fondest memory: When I stopped to take pictures a local goatherd stood proudly and started to pose in front of my camera. In a few seconds I saw another, local goatherd running very fast towards me. The young, semi-nude, barefooted boy explained me with his hands and face that he wanted to receive cigarettes and pens he saw inside my car. I gave the goatherds two plastic ballpoint pens and two Camel cigarettes. Well, this, maybe 14 - 15 years old boy, used to smoke a cigarette, hmm... I started at my 16 :-(.

• Eco-Tourism

• barryg23's Profile Photo

The Birds

by barryg23 Written Mar 13, 2005

The Birds

Favorite thing: Hitchcock could have filmed "The Birds" in Essaouira. It felt a little bit scary walking down to the port, especially when taking this picture as one seagull was heading straight for me! If these birds were ever to attack, Essaouira wouldn't stand a chance.

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Beware, belt fish looking at you

by JLBG Updated Nov 11, 2004

Favorite thing: This is indeed an amazing fish. Its body is long and thin as a belt. It can reach 1,20 meters long. As it lives at high depth, where light is scarce, it has strange huge eyes to catch every bit of light ! It really seems looking at you !
    Its scientific name is Trichiurus lepturus and is named in English Atlantic Cutlassfish, Largehead Hairtail or beltfish.

• Fishing
    • Beaches
    • Aquarium

Shark

by JLBG Updated Nov 11, 2004

Favorite thing: As most of the sharks that are found in Moroccan waters, this small shark has not a large mouth and therefore, should not be a hazard for swimmers. Nevertheless, I prefer to meet it on a quay than in the sea.

Belt fish

by JLBG Updated Nov 11, 2004

Favorite thing: This amazing belt fish is very tasty. It has a very delicate flesh and thus is difficult to cook correctly. Overdone, it turns into mashed fish ! The best way to cook it is either to coat it with breadcrumbs or to coat it with a thin leaf of "ouarka".

Busy on board

by JLBG Updated Nov 11, 2004

Favorite thing: On board, the fishermen are still busy but very little fish is disembarked !! From time to time, someone leaves the boat with a small plastic bag with a few fishes and that's all ! Where is the freight ?

Fish as fee

by JLBG Updated Nov 11, 2004

Favorite thing: Don in kind ! It seems that the boatman does not require to be paid for his duty but prefers to get a few fishes. No money handled ! He is really earning is living but the bad thing is that he cannot spare his earnings ! Actually, may be they are so scarce that he would never be able too.

Instant Answers: Essaouira

Comments

Essaouira Favorites

Reviews and photos of Essaouira favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Essaouira sightseeing.