Ait Ben Haddou Shopping

• sachara's Profile Photo

Souvenirs stalls

by sachara Updated Sep 10, 2003

souvenirs stalls

If you head down to the oued and the kasbah, you pass some souvenir stalls.
    Some of them look really nice with the kasbah at the background.
    When you stand or ignore the first hassle of the vendors, you can find in one or two shops nice jewelry. Not in the displays in front, but at the back of the shops or in boxes.
    As I am interested in the jewelry of this area and the desert, I found here very nice Berber and Touareg necklaces. After some bargaining, knowing about prices, I bought one.
    At the moment of making this tip I wear it, like I did nearly this whole summer.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Souvenirs and local craft

by sachara Updated Sep 10, 2003

souvenir stall

I liked the last souvenir stall before we descend in the oued to the kasbah. Its decorations outdoors were nice.
    I took this picture because of the wooden pillar, to get some inspiration for the verandah-to-be in my garden at home.
    In the stalls you can find all kind of local craft, like pottery, objects of wood or leather.
    Prices are not that bad, but you have to bargain!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Various outlets around the ksar: Local crafts

by suvanki Updated Oct 28, 2009

Artisans shops Ait Ben Haddou

Walking through the Ksar of Ait Benhaddou, making our way up to the Granary, we passed by a few shops which were selling paintings, jewellery, clothing, scarves etc.

It was a good excuse to stop and catch my breath, while looking at these goods!

We stopped while a small boy demonstrated a form of pyrography, using a magnifying glass and the suns rays to carefully scorch a drawing onto a scrap of paper.
    We also came across many paintings/drawings in various styles and qualities.

A bit later on we saw another method of artwork where tea was used to paint a picture, which was then dried over a light to form a sepia coloured print.

As this was fairly near the beginning of my trip, I didn't buy any of these pieces as I didn't want to be carrying stuff that might become damaged with my constant packing/unpacking, but I didn't see anything like these during my later travels. So if you like what you see-buy it!

I suppose that by buying here, You are contributing to the local economy

What to buy: Prints and paintings
    jewellery

What to pay: Depends on how good your haggling skills are, and probably on the number of customers who've passed through already that day.

Instant Answers: Ait Ben Haddou

Comments

Ait Ben Haddou Shopping

Reviews and photos of Ait Ben Haddou shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ait Ben Haddou sightseeing.

View all Ait Ben Haddou hotels