Chefchaouene Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by Bennytheball
  • Place Uta-el-Hamam (Chefchaouene, Morocco)
    Place Uta-el-Hamam (Chefchaouene,...
    by Redang
    Restaurant Casa Hassan
    by Redang

Best Rated Restaurants in Chefchaouene

Restaurant Granada: Cheap eat, friendly place

by kit_mc Written Nov 21, 2006

Restaurant Grenada

One of the cheaper and simpler places we ate at in Chaouen was this one, basic but cheerful. The cook/owner appears to be a bit of a character and meals are prepared at a counter to one side, so you can watch what's going on.

The restaurant itself just consists of two small rooms, nothing flash but actually fairly cosy with about 4 or 5 tables. I ate here for lunch and had the usual omelette, saving a tagine for the evening meal! Menu likewise is fairly short and contains the usual suspects, no surprises.

Favorite Dish: While food here is rather cheap, the omelette was correspondingly a bit on the small side. Tagines are around 18 dh, omelette very cheap at 8 dh. Soft drinks 6dh, though you pay separately for bread at 2dh.

As a fairly cheap but cheerful eatery, this is fine for lunch or a no frills evening meal.

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Restaurant Ibiza: Full marks for service and food!

by kit_mc Updated Dec 4, 2006

Restaurant Ibiza

While originally looking for 'Restaurant Chefchaouen' featured in LP, we found this nice place right next door, that seemed a little newer, a little younger, just a bit more interesting.

This place has a funky interior for you to lounge around on, with three sections for you to eat your meal by candlelight in the evenings. We ate here on different days and the food was consistently good quality and value for both lunch and dinner.

The place seems to be a family affair with two teenage lads working the tables and cooking if mother isn't around. They really worked rather hard one night in particular, but nevertheless were really polite and friendly. In particular one ran out to get me cigarettes when I asked where the nearest kiosk was, which was totally unexpected and well beyond the call of duty.

Oh, and some good Arabic pop playing too!

Favorite Dish: As well as being really friendly, the food was also notably tasty. The chicken brochettes at 30dh were so nicely marinated that both of us actually commented on them and came with delicious home-made chips, lovely rice and great bread too in fact.

Moroccan salad was also great, both to look at and to eat, with a ratatouille style sauce and local goat's cheese. Coffee was good, as was a mint tea that we were given for free on our first visit.

La Lampe Magique: Paying for atmosphere over food

by kit_mc Updated Dec 5, 2006

La Lampe Magique

This restaurant is one of the more expensive in town. The major plus point to this place is the view of the main square, although the restaurant itself has rather nice surrounds. While the terrace overlooks the square, the entrance is around the back of the building, clearly signposted. La Lampe is set over three floors, painted in deep blues, mirroring the blue streets of Chaouen.

After 8pm the place fills up a bit more, otherwise it's a little bit on the empty side. The Moroccan feel to the place is lost a bit on the odd music that is piped through. Service is very good, we were served by a very smiley but quiet waiter. The food also came out fairly fast.

Pity that the tables are too low for the dining chairs that you're seated on, because it means your stopping to eat your meal, a bit bad for your back if your lanky like me.

Favorite Dish: We had the 'menu completo' of three courses for 75 dh. Some of the dishes, those with shrimp, were unavailable. I had a tagine of meat (lamb) with prunes. This came with much less in the way of accompanying stewed veg than I'd had in other places and was nothing too impressive. 'Pastilla', a Moroccan specialty of chicken in a pastry square with icing sugar over it and a hint of cinammon, got the thumbs up.

The best thing here actually was the Moroccan soup, which we both had and was one of the better that I had while in Morocco. Nice and spicy.

The desserts are a little dull, although I enjoyed my crepe with chocolate. All in all, a safe tourist bet if you don't mind paying a little more, but in comparison to Restaurant Tissemlal which is round the corner and at the same price, but much tastier and better value.

Restaurant Tissemlal: Best of the more expensive options

by kit_mc Updated Dec 5, 2006

Restaurant Tissemlal

This is the second of the two more expensive tourist aimed restaurant options in the Medina, the other being La Lampe Magique and I'd say that this is streets ahead. While our first impression was that it lacked atmosphere due to the cold glare of energy saving lightbulbs, the comfy seating and decidedly smokey at times) open fire downstairs changed out initial view. The guidebook notes that this place is 'enchanting' which would be a bit over the top but it is a nice option for a more special meal.

The restaurant is basically set around an enclosed and roofed internal courtyard. Staff were polite and friendly enough. We were grateful to them as we'd initially gone to sit upstairs but they found better seats downstairs for us without us even asking.

In the background is a tape of Andaluz guitar music. The restaurant is probably well aware that it has a decent reputation, as a framed article from Conde Nast Traveller attests but it doesn't seem to be sitting on its laurels.

Favorite Dish: We went for the 'menu completo', three courses at 75 dh. Plenty of bread and olives arrived and then we both started the meal with a warming Moroccan soup. Then I had a really tasty, sizzling meat ball tagine with egg in a rich tomato sauce. Andrew had a meat tagine which wasn't quite as special but still passed muster.

Desserts were tastier and more imaginative than most menus. Fresh pomegranate and honey went down refreshingly well on a full stomach, while the tarte limon, basically cheesecake, was lovely, rich and with hints of the goat's cheese the area is known for.

This place is good value for a restaurant in its class and I'd recommend a visit. Service is included automatically with a 5 percent addition to your bill. Total for two people including soft drinks was 174 dh.

• Gay and Lesbian

• not sure maybe Al Kashbah: A clean enough cheap enough good enough place

by blint Updated Sep 30, 2007

If you are in Plaza Uta el -hamman with your back to the Al Kasbah take the first little street to your left, right there on the right hand side you will see a restaurant with tables outside and some Arabic material covered 'booths'. you know if you have got the right place if you walk in and see a shoe smith to your right.

The menu wasn't more expensive than other places though the food was a little better than the tourist trap places on the square. The service was good too and what is even better, you don't get ill afterwards!!!!!

Another thing I really liked were the clean western toilets with paper and nice smelling pink soap!

There are several photos attached of the food, tea, place and er... us too!

Favorite Dish: The menu is the SAME as all the other restaurants: Couscous or tagine of chicken, lamb, fish or veggies.

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Restaurant Al-Wiam: One to Avoid!

by kit_mc Written Nov 21, 2006

Restaurant Al-Wiam

This 'restaurant', basically one room with about 5 tables between the Hotel Andaluz and the Hotel Castellana/hammam should be avoided. They obviously hope to catch tourists from these hostals. We popped in just to go somewhere different as we were running out of new eating options.

We each had an omelette here for lunch, which would have cost us maybe 15 dh in any other restaurant in Chaouen. Not only was the girl serving us generally on the rude side, having slammed up the music volume to 'Hotel California' as soon as we walked in and then getting me to change the cd for her with no thanks at all, but the service the poorest and the bread the stalest that I had in Morocco.

Worst of all though was that we were charged for a 'menu completo'. This would normally mean that we'd had 3 courses, but we'd only had one. Basically she took the proverbial and ripped us off. After trying for a few moments to point out that we'd not actually asked for or eaten a complete menu, we gave up, paid and walked away muttering under our breath.

In fairness, there was just something about the place anyway (we were the only people in there) that I'd not liked from the start so I should have trusted my instincts. In the end I managed to get it in perspective, we were 'ripped' off to the tune of maybe 25 dh each, which in the grand scheme isn't so much, but it's never nice to be treated like that.

Favorite Dish: Interestingly I wrote in my little VT notebook when we sat down that the service was the miserable side of disinterested, so I guess no surprise that this place was not a good experience. It also had a wierd kind of stone 'grotto' going on at the back wall, as if it had been built into the rock. Just plain odd.

There was nothing good about this place. The bread was stale, the omelette took ages and was very greasy, drinks arrived after the meal. Oh yeah, and I think I mentioned she charged us over twice the normal price?

• Bab Kasba: The blue one

by blint Written Sep 30, 2007

It is one of the many restaurants on the Uta el- Hammam square where the mosque is.

This one caught my eye as it was decorated with my favourite material which is vibrant stripy blue.

The menu and prices were the average: 30 dm a dish for cous cous or tagines.

On the down side you have to use the public toilets which are across the square (this goes for all the restaurants in the plaza) and it is filled with naughty cats that jump up beside you.

On the plus side we didn't get ill after eating there.

Favorite Dish: The chicken tagine and the beef cous cous were good although the other tagine we got was a bit bland.

• Aladin and Casa Hassan: Up-market in Choauen

by blint Written Sep 30, 2007

aladin

The two most expensive a nice looking restaurants in chaouen are Aladin and Casa Hassan.

Aladin is on Plaza Utal el-Hammam and is directly in front of the Kasbah. It has serveral floors and a large out door terrace at the top. It is nicely decorated and clean looking.

The menu was something like 80 dm (8 euros) and 45dm (4.5dm) for each dish. This is slightly more expensive than a 60-70 dm average in other places for a menu and 30 for each dish.

Casa Hassan is just round the corner to the left if you are looking at Aladin. The restaurant looks nice and big and the food looked good too. The prices are about the same as the Aladin.

Favorite Dish: As with all other places you can choose from tajines and couscous of chicken, vegetable, lamb, beef or fish.

• Restaurant Chefchouen: Friendly, Nice, and Cheap

by blint Written Dec 3, 2007

The owner's son of our hotel took us to this restaurant which is on the road leading down from the Parador hotel.

It was nicely decorated and the food was OK although I don't recommend the Chefchouen couscous which was a bit bland and sparse on ingredients (couscous,onions, cinnamon and milk which you can add in!). It seemed clean enough and we didn't get ill afterwards which is a great sign!

I liked the little booth type areas which give you relative privacy.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Tajin Kefta which is a meat dish. It is basically little flavoured meat patties in a tomato sauce.

• Redang's Profile Photo

Restaurant Casa Hassan: With terrace on the top

by Redang Updated Jul 30, 2008

Restaurant Casa Hassan

This restaurant offers good local food and the terrace on the top of the building gives good views of the town. Visit the travelogue called "other views of the Medina" to have a look at the pics (the last two ones).

There are rooms too.

- Fax: (+212) 39 98 81 96

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Bar Oumou Rabie: Chefchaouen's hustler bar

by Bennytheball Written May 31, 2013

Bar Oumou Rabie is one of only three outlets which serve alcohol in Chefchaouen, it's also a restaurant and the food is actually very good, but the alcohol is expensive in relation to prices charged in other regions of Morocco, a small 25cl bottle of Flag beer is Dh23, a bottle of wine is Dh150, the label variety of beer and wine is abysmal........

The system for paying for drinks is the European one, you pay at the conclusion of your dinner or drinking session, this gives hustlers the opportunity to approach a foreigner, engage in friendly conversation, order a drink, chat a bit more then leave, the hapless tourist is then obliged to pay for his "friend's" drink, an old Moroccan trick, but the old ones work best!

This year, I noticed the three waiters were also on the hustle, tapas are served and supposed to be free, complimentary, in relation to how many drinks the customer consumes, but the waiters ask the customer to specify exactly what tapas are desired, then expect a tip of Dh15 or more, for "personalised service".

One waiter, Youssef, has been relegated to the lower bar salon, by the boss, because of his personal agenda, overcharging customers on the final bill in the upstairs restaurant, and pocketing the extra cash, the other two, one is Jamal and the other tall thin one whose name escapes me are also keen to extract extra tips in this manner. The boss is rather helpless to address this problem, because these three waiters are very long service employees, and getting rid of them would be difficult.

I noticed that the few European customers who frequented the bar, ordered a carry-out to drink at their home/hotel, carry-outs are readily available, the waiters, observing this, start to fidget about in irritation, knowing they can't hustle any self-styled tip agenda.

So, having been ripped off here myself, my advice is to drink in the Chaouen Atlas bar or nightclub, which is what I did this year, or the alternative Hotel Parador Bar, which was almost deserted, no foreign tourists equals no money for the bars and their employees.

Frankly, this year I was glad to get back to "civilisation"......Tangier!

Favorite Dish: I didn't have a favourite dish, but the food is generally good.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

The good taste

by Doctor38 Updated Nov 18, 2007

This is one of the resturants in Outa Al-Hammam area. A meal should cost less than 40 DH. Food was good and the menu has the typical coscus, Tagine and the Salads. It is a nice place to sit relax andf watch people.

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Restaurants in town: Restaurants in town

by johnsakura Updated Jan 21, 2005
    Chefchaouene morocco

Chefchaouene is not the perfect place to eat but youll find hundreds of small restaurants where you can have a meal.

Instant Answers: Chefchaouene

Comments

Chefchaouene Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chefchaouene restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chefchaouene sightseeing.