Fes Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by Robin020
  • Restaurants
    by Robin020
    Moroccan style decor on ceiling
    by VZ-Pam

Best Rated Restaurants in Fes

Le Kasbah

by barryg23 Updated May 12, 2007

In Le Kasbah

You can certainly find cheaper places to eat in the Medina than Le Kasbah but with excellent food, good service and a rooftop terrace, it's well worth a visit. Located in a great location at the entrance to the medina just inside Bab-Bou Jeloud, Le Kasbah is hard to miss and there are waiters outside ready to pounce on any tourist who walks by. But don't let that or the fact that only tourists seem to eat here put you off.

I was very tempted by the three course menu for 70Dh but as they give you so much bread, dips and side-dishes the single main course for 40 Dh was a wise choice. We both had lamb tagines. The total cost was 99Dh for two including water & mint-tea.

We ate here again on our second visit to Fes, this time on the rooftop terrace, from where there are excellent views of Bab Bou Jeloud and the medina. The food was just as good as last time. Ruth had couscous with chicken while I had the vegetable tagine.

Rooftop Cafe - Place an-Nejjarine

by barryg23 Updated Feb 4, 2006

Mint-tea at the rooftop cafe

The rooftop cafe of the museum at Place an-Nejjarine is a nice place to stop for a mint-tea or coffee, away from the noise and chaos of the medina. The cafe itself is indoors though you can wander out on to the roof to have a look out across the medina.

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

Sandwich Florence (Flurans): Couscous, salads, sandwiches

by 78Eva Written May 19, 2004

Couscous

I don't know how many times I ate at Sandwich Florence in Fes when I lived there. It's a good, cheap place to go to frequently. The owner and his son were very friendly. After a while, when they know you, they are even nicer, and you often get a banana or a yoghurt as dessert for free.
    It doesn't look very fany, the usual little eating place at the side of the road with a few tables and tiled floors, but the food is good and I think the place is clean. I never heard of anyone getting an upset stomach there (in contrast to the little restaurant that is closest to the school).

Favorite Dish: I usually came here for couscous. Vegetarian couscous was 2,50 $ and with meat 4-5 $. One portion really fills you up.
    You can also eat Harira, the Moroccan soup, differents meats and omelettes, salads and french fries.
    You can get soft drinks and bottled water.

Restaurant Bajelloul: Cheap and local

Restaurant Bajelloul

This small local restuarant is mentioned in LP so gets some tourists but at lunchtime is packed with locals dining.

It's at the cheaper end of restaurants and is fairly basic. There's seating outside near a busy road, where you can watch the local colour. We observed a bit of a farce scenario that involved a chicken being chased across the street - it didn't have a happy ending...

Locals all seemed to be having a set menu (everyone was basically eating the same dishes and was brought yoghurt...), but I was happy enough with my meal here. All the mains were 30 dh, not the most exciting menu, but it did have plenty of sliced heart and liver, if you're into that.

Favorite Dish: I had a steak grill, eating companion had kefta meatballs. Both came with a fried egg and some very nice fried potato. For 30 dh you can't really grumble.

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

Casa Nostra: An Italian Restaurant in Fez

by 78Eva Written Feb 23, 2004

While in Morocco, eat Moroccan food. However, if you're there for longer, you might want a change from Tajines and Couscous once in a while. For us student from the Arabic language institute, it was always fun to go to "Casa Nostra" in Fez. It is an Italian restaurant, not run by Italians, but it's pretty good. At least I don't think you get better pasta or pizza in other places in Fez. The restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere, and is, by western standards, still not very expensive.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, salads, pasta dishes

Restaurant La Cheminee: Quality food with a French twist

Restaurant La Cheminee

From the outside this restaurant doesn't look anything special and inside it perhaps lacks a bit of atmosphere, but a friend of mine who currently lives in Morocco took us here as it served alcohol and good food. The LP guidebook description of this place is that of a classy French Brasserie style restaurant. Frankly, that's pushing it a bit. The interior is more like being in someone's 1970's style living room. And not a sign of the bowties mentioned by LP...

While the LP description of the surroundings might not be accurate, and the atmosphere a little on the grey/brown side, nevertheless, the service is very attentive indeed and the food is excellent, although you do pay for this, the restaurant being more costly than average. In fact we returned here on the last night in Morocco and I was relieved to discover that both the service and quality of food were consistent on both occasions.

The first occasion we ate here (a Tuesday) we were the only people in the restaurant most of the evening. The second time (a Friday) the place was busier though still quiet and all the clientele were tourists!

Favorite Dish: On both occasions I had the beef tagine with prunes, very nice meat, virtually no fat and no bone at all. I'd give this a very good thumbs up. Very rich, syrupy and sweet, so make sure you like prunes! I also had the Moroccan soup, which tasted more like a nice minestrone than the (very nice) Moroccan soups I'd had elsewhere.

Other good dishes eaten by my dining partners included tagine of Kefta meatballs with an egg in it, chicken and lemon tagine and beef stroganoff.

Mains are in the region of 75 dh, starters 35, bottle of Moroccan wine from 85 dhiram upwards.

Restaurant La Medaille: Mixed bag tourist restaurant

La Medaille

This hotel seems to get a good write up in LP but I was slightly dissatisfied. It's popular with locals as well as tourists, but all the tourists get shoved at the front of the restaurant, even when there's very little space, and plenty of space at the back (local part) of the place. I saw three tourists stuck on a table that was barely big enough for 2 even though there was space at the back. However, it seemed that the back was full of men, so perhaps women might not feel too comfortable out back.

A guy stands outside the whole time beckoning in passers-by, which didn't bother me too much as we'd already decided to eat here. I also noticed that the kid who'd practically followed us around the Ville Nouvelle the night before asking us if we needed a guide/hash/massage was hanging out here.

Service is adequate enough, they do push the starters, desserts and coffee, though the mains are sufficient on their own. A plus is that this place serves alcohol, local beers are 20 dh each.

One positive - before going into the restaurant I needed to find an internet cafe and the guy on the door was able to give me directions. In the end it was that help that made us return to eat.

Favorite Dish: Regards the food, we had a green salad (felt a bit hassled into taking it) which consisted of lettuce, lettuce and, well, just lettuce. Oh, and a bit of chopped onion. The mains, mine a tagine kefta Fassi (meatballs), eating partner's Merbaze sausages (lamb, with a lot of cumin)were tasty enough though portions weren't that large. Mains cost around 65 dh.

Desserts can be avoided as they aren't very interesting and aren't good value at 30 dh.

Overall we felt this place had a fairly safe menu but wasn't great value. It's perhaps got more atmosphere than La Cheminee, but the general experience was missing something. I wouldn't recommend having the set menu as the items on that are actually cheaper as individual dishes.

Cafe in Medina

by barryg23 Updated Feb 4, 2006

People-watching at a cafe in the medina

Inside Bab-Bou Jeloud, the main gate at the western edge of the medina, are many cheap cafes and restaurants. We stopped at one for a quick coffee before a visit to the Dar Batha Musuem. Our waiter took our orders, then the drinks appeared, carried by another waiter from a different cafe around the corner. I quite like these informal arrangements.

Restaurant Bar Le Consul: Touristy locale

Le Consul Bar Restaurant

Having visited the Dar Batha Museum just outside the Medina, we wanted to grab something to eat before running the gauntlet of faux guides and touts, knowing that we'd be entreated into various eateries and that our tummies might rule over common sense.

Just across the road from Dar Batha is the bar/restaurant of the Batha Hotel. We sat out in a nice courtyard, although the waft of sewage and the terribly uncomfortable metal seating somewhat detract from the nice surrounds. Staff are friendly enough, although I felt a little that the waiter was trying a bit of hard sell with coffee, salads, desserts etc.

Favorite Dish: They offer the usual selection of foods, omelettes, brochettes and paninis - selection overall was a bit on the dull side given the costs. We opted for warm paninis, one of chicken, one of 'charcuterie' that seemed like ham, but I doubt very much it could have been.

This place also served beer (20 dh each) and wines. As mentioned, prices are at a more touristy rate and this you'll be sharing the courtyard with tourists too.

Overall, a nice enough place for an afternoon beer before or after hitting the Medina.

La Casbah: Medina Terrace Views

La Casbah, Fes Medina.

Just inside the Medina near the Bab Bou Jeloud entrance you'll be greeted by multiple touts offering you menus and enticing you into the variety of restaurants that line the square. While some of these might be good for a bit of people watching, we were attracted to this one as it has what appeared to be one of the better terraces with views over the Medina rooftops. Price wise, the restaurants around here all seem rather similar, though this was on the cheaper side.

Funky Arabic pop playing in the background, occasionally switched off to allow for the call to prayer to take precedence, wailing from the depths of the Medina. While this is predominantly a tourist place, there were also some locals eating too. The place was an accidental find though it turned out that it's listed in LP too.

Favorite Dish: Make your way straight to the top of the building for the best views.

They had the standard Moroccan fare of omelette or brochettes (meat on skewers). While they have a three course menu for 70 dh, I just had a chicken brochette for 40 dh; soft drinks come to 5 dh each. They also bring a stack of bread and olives which is usual in Morocco. On leaving, pay downstairs on your way out. They made quite sure that we were aware that a tip would be expected, which is the one thing I wasn't too impressed by.

• Eowynenkidu's Profile Photo

Restaurant Asmae: Don´t miss this restaurant in th Medina

by Eowynenkidu Written Aug 4, 2007

these were the first dishes

This restaurnat is inside the Medina...a small but warm place...very nice....excelent food.....the tea is incredible....
    You can go there and be sure to come out quite pleased....
    I went there with two friends and we were simply impressed as they kept bringing us these incredible dishes !!
    We found the restaurant as we were getting los in the Medina...it was just a coincidence to find it...a great conicidence.

The adress is: 4, Derb Jeniara Fes Medina
    Phone: 055 74 1210

• Women's Travel

Restaurant Pizzeria Mamia: Pizza Place

Pizzeria Mamia

On our first night in Fes we were trying not to stray too far from our hotel in the Ville Nouvelle and found this place on Place Florence. With small pizzas around 30 dh and larger pizzas around 50 dh, the prices aren't total bargains but aren't a rip off either.

Service could be described as disinterested at best, although we became rather used to this in the various places we ate at in Morocco. It means that you do really appreciate good service when you find it.

There are a few possibly cheaper places in the Ville Nouvelle that also do pizza but they tended to be full of local men, not a tourist in sight and we weren't feeling too adventurous on the first evening in Morocco.

Favorite Dish: As well as pizzas, there are some other dishes available such as chicken or even steak at more expensive prices but I doubt that they would be anything amazing, rather a dull menu actually. The pizza was ok, nothing special, I'd say get the bigger size if you're having dinner rather than lunch here.

The restaurant seems fairly new actually and is nice enough inside. It was rather on the quiet side the night I was there, just another couple of tourists and one local courting couple in there. I don't think they serve alcohol here.

I had the Sicilian, which had beef salami, olives and peppers. The standard pizza fare is on the menu though, probably something for everyone and a safe bet although bear in mind that this is Moroccans serving pizza not Italians.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Snack Omar: delicious

by iaint Updated Apr 4, 2011

The manager of my riad recommended this place for a quick lunch - just around the corner. He reckoned it's clean.

I had the kefte tajine - that's meatballs. Served in a tomato sauce with an egg cooking in it. Served with a small plate of olives, cauliflower salad and aubergine salad. Bread as well. It was delicious.

Omar caused a bit of nervousness at one stage between taking my order and serving it, by asking to be reminded if I'd ordered the "green meat"! I hope it was a linguistic problem.

Ahem...

He lived in Stockholm for many years, and in general his English is good.

45 MAD all in (including a Sprite).

Favorite Dish: The aubergine salad. Full of spice and flavour.

• Architecture

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

La Medina: Nice Moroccan Restaurant for tourists

by VZ-Pam Written Nov 30, 2008

The palace like high ceiling inside the restaurant

Food was actually nice in this restaurant although it probably cater to tourists more than locals. However, the atmosphere is so Moroccan and I had took a flight for that many hours to a place just for a feel of that Moroccan flavor....why not ?be a tourist to enjoy what they can offer !? The decor made it looks like a Moroccan palace ! sweet !!!

Favorite Dish: pastilla is good, filled with minced pigeon, spices & almonds

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

D`Aturia (?): A Restaurant Palace !

by MichaelFalk1969 Written Feb 6, 2008

I am not sure if I got the name right and I didn`t find this restaurant in any guide books, and above all, I wouldn`t find my way there back in the maze that the Fes medina is, but if you stay at Dar-el-Hana as I suggest, the host Josephine can organize that someone from the restaurant takes you there (and back). The restaurant had a stylish moroccan interior and the food was awesome, the portions huge, the prices fair, the service friendly. Especially the starter assortment was a treat !

Instant Answers: Fes

Comments

Fes Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fes restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fes sightseeing.