Fes Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Fes

• solopes's Profile Photo

Discreet monuments

by solopes Updated Mar 12, 2015

The narrow streets in the Medina are tricky for a tourist. Hidden by the displayed paraphernalia and the moving crowds, some jewels of the city's history may pass unnoticed without a warning. I think that no tourist risks too enter without a local guide, so the risk is minimum, but if you are in a big group, even a small distance to the guide may betray you.

Fes - Morocco Fes - Morocco

• DAR ESSAAD

by michealjade Written Dec 17, 2013

hi,
    i recently visit morocco and i purchase carpets From Dar-Essaad, I had the pleasure of buying a beautiful Berber carpet from a friendly, multilingual, and most importantly, low pressure salesman. He has an enormous selection of rugs and carpets from every type of Berber tribe and will give you a demonstration and explanation of their origins and design. STUDENTS will enjoy the discount this man gives and the friendly nature with which bargainning is conducted. Prices are VERY fair and quality is excellent!!!

• Trains
    • Desert

• solopes's Profile Photo

Beware of false guides

by solopes Updated Dec 14, 2013

There are some young boys displaced in motorbikes that approach tourists offering services as guide. Always demand the presentation of the official guide's card.

I had none of the related bad experiences, but the guy that led me to the hotel and wanted to lead me in the Medina the next day didn't come because... he was arrested during the night.

The hotel booked me an official guide, and we felt absolutely safe with him.

• Shop keepers

by Robin020 Written Mar 3, 2012

Be aware of shp keepers they MAY look friendly and smile to you but also may get aggresive if you do not buy something.
    They always say just come in just have a look do not but once you are in he will try to coax you in buying something.
    He may say economy is bad no customers and he has family etc.well thats ok but the point is he expect you to pay triple the price of its value.

• Haggling down

by Robin020 Written Mar 3, 2012

When you are not a locals means the price is double or triple for any thing you want to buy.
    so for example if the price of the teapot is 70 the guy may say 350 or more.
    I do remember I wanted to buy a wallet he said 150 I paid 30.
    the same with cloth etc.
    Morroco is a big tourist trap so do not trust locals easily.specially the young boys who have nothing else to do just to give tourist hard time by trying to sell you worthless informations guiding you to places that are one stone throw,products or any thing else maybe even trying to be a tour guide They offer any service you could imagine and do every thing for money.

• A Day or maximum 2 days trip

by Robin020 Written Mar 3, 2012

Fes is cultural city not many things to do.
    MY tip is do not stay there for more than 2 days you can cover all attractions in 1 day.If you wake up early and be active.
    you can always take the train to meknes,Rabbat Casablanca city is cheap and worth a visit and you will see you will have peace of mind since there (Rabbat and Casa)no body will chase you and try to sell you stuff spiel you.

• IMPORTANT

by Robin020 Written Mar 2, 2012

They do NOT take marocan money at the airport.
    The food is very expensive at the airport
    Your boarding pass MUST be stamped by your airline at the check in desk of your airline .
    When you buy at thing at duty free after passport control you are allowed to curry it as extra luggage when you travel with ryanair
    Bus from city centre to airport is number 16 operates every 30 minutes and you can pick from fes train station The ticket cost 20dhm.the bus operates till 8pm after that you need to take the taxi
    The taxi from city to airport cost from 125 to 150 .
    It's hard to find dust bin in the city of fez
    It's hard to find places that serve alcohol even you find gonna be expensive so my tip is bring a bottle of drink with you from duty free.
    Haggling is wide spread so be careful specially when they see you are a tourist the price jumps I bought some thing the guy asked 350 after haggling i got it for 90 only.
    The touting is every where you are tourist means they look at you as some one with fat wallet lotta money
    Tips are not required but appreciated depends on the service you get
    Tannery is in my opinion a big tourist scam
    The ATM machines are easy to find
    Citizens from Eu get stamp on their passport free of charge
    On arrival onboard of the plane you will get a form to fill in stating purpose of your visit etc

• Danger In Fes

by franklin82 Written Jun 15, 2009

I recently met a man at the train station in Fes. I thought he worked with the taxi company. He spoke great English and during taxi ride told me his cousin is in town from my country of Canada. His “cousin” explained that he comes to Morocco to purchase carpet and sell them in Canada at a profit. I, very naively went with him to the carpet store and ended up purchasing a lot of rugs. Later I realized that the guy from Canada worked for the carpet store, and I paid several times the value of the rugs. The carpet store which scammed me is called Dar Essaad (Grand choix de tapis). P.S. They also tried to sell me a crazy desert trip package.

• Adventure Travel

• Fes! Train, relatives, carpets scam!!

by franklin82 Written Jun 13, 2009

Carpet and Train Scam
    • Trains
    • Adventure Travel

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Underfoot

by keeweechic Written Mar 10, 2009

Be careful walking through the medina and keep an eye on where you are placing your foot. Some of the cobbled stones are broken and definitely uneven but also the little gifts left by the donkeys being led through the narrow lanes.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Sneaky Photographers

by keeweechic Written Mar 7, 2009

If you are in a group you might find yourself being photographed at one of the tourist attractions. This fella was at the Bou Inania Medrassa, snapping individuals of groups. The photos later appeared at the hotel prior to leaving to be purchased. You might not mind having photos taken or having them available to purchase but I certainly didn't want someone randomly taking my photo like that and I managed to beat him at his own game.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Tour Guides & Tanneries

by oceania26 Updated Dec 3, 2007

Be wary of tour guides (even ones recommended by your hotel or riad) especially when they take you a shop or the tanneries as the tour guides are in on the scam to get more money from you. They will take the good/bad cop approach and act as if they are looking out for you when indeed they are not.

I strongly recommend not going with a tour guide named Idriss, short portly man in his 40s. Not only was he a terrible guide, he tried to over charge for 1/2 day tour when he only spent less than 2 hours (not) showing me around. On top of that, he was in on the scam that I mentioned above...he was recommended by the riad (Dar Seffarine). I did let the riad know about this...hopefully they do not use him anymore.

The tanneries are known to get scam you...do not pay anything less than 50% from the original price they offered. Just walk away until they come down to a reasonable price. The are very persistent and persuasive. There will be 3 or 4 of them including your guide...have your wits about you.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Unfriendly locals

by oceania26 Written Nov 12, 2007

Don't be surprised to hear 'leave Morocco' or 'we don't need you here' when you visit Fes. You will most likely hear this more than once they are not given the response they desired (i.e. if they were ignored). In fact, this is the only place I've visited where I've heard this.

It's also the only place where I've been where the locals make you feel like crap when you are negotiating/haggling a price (which is highly over inflated). Normally, I enjoy the haggling ritual but here, they way spoke and the tactics they used left me feeling horrible. They will tell you how poor they are (even if they are not) and how we should not have a problem paying so much since we are rich, etc.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Driving in Fes

by barryg23 Written May 12, 2007

Fes is one of Morocco's biggest cities and can be a difficult city to drive around, especially if you‘re not used to driving in Morocco. We hired a car on the day we were leaving Fes from Europcar on Avenue Mohammed V. After driving off we ended up going the wrong way down a one-way street, which had no signposts at all indicating it was one-way. None in French anyway.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Strange sights in the medina

by barryg23 Updated May 12, 2007

If you are squeamish by nature, then there are a few sights in the medina you will want to avoid. As we were walking down the main street, Talaa Kebira, a severed camel's head hanging over a butcher's shop caught our eye. And there was definitely something dripping....I wasn't brave enough to stop and take a photo.

On our second visit to Fes we walked past the same shop and once again there was a camel's head hanging up near the entrance. Presumably not the same camel…

Butchers shop in Fes Medina

Instant Answers: Fes

• sasiren's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM

If you want to see Fez, hire a guide for a day, agree upon the price beforehand but make it clear that you do not want to go to a carpet shop. After that u can navigate the medina on ur own. Do not pay to enter the medina, it is free. A scammer tied to charge me and I told him it is free and that I had been to Fez many times before. Do not let the men inappropriately touch ur body. I have even encountered male prostitutes. In the medina do not stay at Pension Talaa at 14 Talaa Seghira. It is grim with no sink, shower or toilet in the room and very dark. You cannot read in bed and it was filthy. We stayed because it was raining very hard and we just wanted a place to stay. I could hardly wait to depart. The next day, we moved to Bab Boujloud Hotel right outside the medinas wall and it was much nicer for 150 dirham. It was bright with a tv, shower and breakfast...well worth the price. Be careful of ppl trying to befriend you, they are after ur money.

Fes Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Fes warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fes sightseeing.