Ruines de Lixus Travel Guide

View from the ruins of Lixus
    Roman amphitheatre in Lixus
    The ruins of Lixus

Ruines de Lixus Transportation

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 23, 2005

I got to Lixus by my car and almost skipped the ruins although they were located on a hill right to main road (driving southwards). There were no signs, no fence, no entry, no tourist facilities, nothing. Larger city of Larache (accommodations, restaurants there) is located a few kilometers south of Lixus.

There are public, scheduled buses from behind the Stork's castle in Larache. Make sure that you have a bus back to Larache the same day not to stay at night among ruins (ghosts!).

Alternatively you can walk (approx. 45 minutes - 1 hour each way, I think) to Lixus from Larache. Not my recommendation, at least from June to August unless you are addicted to hell temperatures.

I noticed boats with tourists from Larache as well. Ask about boat tours at your hotel in Larache.

BOAT ON RIVER LOUKKOS

Ruines de Lixus Shopping

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 5, 2006

Driving main road southwards towards Lixus and Larache I easily found many locals selling fresh melons in late September. They sometimes stood in the middle of nowhere with tons of yellow or green melons under the piece of cloth which protected them against sun.

What to buy: There are a few kinds of both yellow and green melons. I bought yellow melon for the first time in my life and it tasted very good.

Since that time yellow melons became my additional food in Morocco. They are easy available in each local fruit market usually at the same price as by the road. I tried different melons but yellow ones and a bit soft (but not very soft) were the best for me.

What to pay: I don't remember the exact price per one melon but they were inexpensive for me = very cheap for a visitor from, say, Western Europe.

YELLOW MELON

Ruines de Lixus Favorites

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 23, 2005

Favorite thing: There are some really beautifull mosaics in the Roman baths. Some are very neglected. No wonder, nobody cares about them and they are over 2000 years old. Many of them were stolen :-(((. I do hope you will find them there when you come. If not... similar but the best preserved mosaics, I saw, are displayed in Bardo Museum in... Tunis, Tunisia.

MOSAICS

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 23, 2005

Favorite thing: There are ruins of, over 2000 years old, Roman baths in Lixus. Walk around carefully and look for beautiful mosaics. Hmm... it seems that many of them were stolen as the ruins are not protected in any way. It's strange approach of local authorities to such wonderful and unique historical place probably due to lack of money.

ROMAN BATHS

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 23, 2005

Favorite thing: The acropolis is an ancient town center/downtown. In Lixus, it covers quite large area so, I think, Lixus had to be quite large and important port in the past, over 2000 years ago. It is dug out and although not the best preserved gave me some information on how life was over 2000 years ago. I could see remains of residential houses and colonnaded streets but unfortunatelly most columns didn't survive.

ACROPOLIS

Instant Answers: Ruines de Lixus

Comments

Ruines de Lixus Travel Guide
Map of Ruines de Lixus