Asilah Warnings and Dangers

Dangerous Beasties
    by kit_mc
    Bab Kasaba
    by kit_mc
    VILLE NOUVEAU (THE NEW CITY)
    by matcrazy1

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Asilah

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Faux guides, touts and hustlers

by kit_mc Written Nov 21, 2006

Bab Kasaba

Compared to the other places we'd been in Morocco, particularly Fes, Asilah was fairly hassle free. I'm not sure if this was because we were out of season, or simply because the place is so small that really it's obvious that you won't need a guide.

We were approached at the bus station by a guy who followed us quite a long way asking us to go to his hostal, but we informed him that we already had a reservation at a hotel. I was so sick of touts by this point that whenever he asked us a question I just started asking him why he wanted to know.

The only other persistent hassle was outside the main entrance to the Medina, Bab Kasabah, where a group of men were hanging around. We were asked if we wanted to buy hash and when we carried on walking they became a little unpleasant calling after us. Still fairly watered down compared to what we'd become used to expect though. The usual fixed grin and no thanks should be enough.

Asilah was actually one of the few places where people did occasionally just stop and talk to you because they thought it interesting to speak to foreigners, and weren't actually trying to sell you anything. It's a pity that we were so on our guard by that point that we probably didn't fully appreciate this and perhaps came across as a little too quiet or rude.

• Gay and Lesbian

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Beware: Dangerous Beasts

by kit_mc Written Nov 21, 2006

Dangerous Beasties

While eating in one of the cafes under the Medina walls you'll be terrorised by their cute faces and whining. Do not give in, no matter how long they pursue you!

Actually, there are loads and loads of kittens hanging round begging for food in Asilah. We had about 5 at once stalking us on one occasion. There seem to be a lot of kittens in Morocco though I didn't actually see that many fully grown cats.

• Gay and Lesbian

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Out of the season

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 6, 2005

THE CITY WALLS, ASILAH

I was in Asilah in October, a bit out of the touristic season. I didn't meet any visitors. Generally the city looked empty, just a lazy, hot, white town. Warning: there was nothing to do there expect just walking around.

Rather forget about any nightlife in Asilah. Although, I was told that Asilah has some bars, as well as discos and night clubs, which should be a good place to visit (also for women) but they are active in summer time only, I think; definetely not in October when I was there.

But I saw at least a few hotels in the medina and outside as well. And I saw a few campings in Asilah. So, as for Morocco, there is quite large choice. Just do not expect any luxurious hotels there.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

No local and inexpensive restaurants?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 6, 2005

VILLE NOUVEAU (THE NEW CITY)

After a few hours of busy walking around I started to look for a clean, local and inexpensive restaurant to eat a lunch and... I didn't find any both in the medina and outside.

Instead, I found a bar or a fast food restaurant with tables under umbrellas (the only one) in a square at the end of Ave. Hassan II. I had only an orange juice and a cup of coffee there as the sandwiches, they offered, did not look fresh. Haha, soon I ate fresh sandwiches made by Urszula and... melons bought by a road :-).

So, Asilah was not my best place for food explorations. Although there were a few restaurants with some sea food in Ville Nouevaux but they were empty and expensive as for Morocco, put rather for tourists than locals. There were a few restaurants in Ave. Hassan II as well but a bit too expensive for my low budget.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Asilah

Comments

Asilah Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Asilah warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Asilah sightseeing.