Tangier Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Tangier

• NYCTravelerGuy's Profile Photo

Pick pockets

by NYCTravelerGuy Written Jan 26, 2007

Secure your wallets, Tangier is very busy especially in the markets. People are very poor and desperate therefore you have many professional pick pocketers here. Keep wallets in your front pocket or even better in a zippered jacket pocket.

• Desert

• kranstonakov's Profile Photo

Muslim extremists

by kranstonakov Written Oct 17, 2006

Morrocco and tangier especially is a massive al-qaueda recruitng ground and we wre told this by several locals. You need to watch your back, especially if you choose to stay where we did, up in the slums. Respect the muslim culture and try and keep your views to yourself, any excuse possible will be used against you. Unfortunately the tangier people are not very hospitable to brits especially. We were having a beer on the beach and a muslim women went beserk at us, spitting at and cursing us! Let them get on with it, you'll be back in Spain or down in senegal with a brew soon enough!

• nereid's Profile Photo

Be Safe

by nereid Written Apr 20, 2004

Tangier has had problems with crime, just like many other border cities and large cities. But if you take precautions, you won't have any problems. We didn't have any problems. Wear a money belt. Don't wear flashy jewelry. Try not to dress like a tourist so you don't attract unwanted attention and pickpockets. Dress conservatively in long pants or skirts and shirts with sleeves. Don't walk in dark , desolate areas and wander around the medina alone at night. Basically, don't let your guard down because you're on vacation, but don't be paranoid either.

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

Money and valuables

by sparkieplug24 Written Mar 27, 2005

People always says that you should watch you wallet, money, cameras etc incase of pickpockets or muggers. However I no of a number of people who have travelled to Morocco and never had any problems. Just like Ive known people to go to more exotic posh places and be robbed.

My advice though is never let shop keepers/stall holders see just how much money you have as the more they know you have the more they will want you to spend and if your worried about valuables dont take them with you.

• Cruise

• mbixler's Profile Photo

Staged Tours

by mbixler Written Apr 5, 2004

It seems on my tour - and with others I spoke with - we only saw what the guide wanted us to see, and we were only able to shop where the guide wanted us to shop.

The typical tour includes lunch, a trip to the rug & leather shop, and a stop in the herb shop.

I would encourage you to be wary of the prices - 1/4 to 1/2 of the asking price would probably be reasonable. Also, use your own judgment when your guide assures you that you're getting a good deal in one of the shops, as he's probably getting a cut of the sales.

It really seems to be quite a racket... 3 separate tours left from my hotel, and we all got the same tour, and the same sales pitch in the same shops!

However, I'm not sure I would've done it any differently for the first visit.

• TANGIER CRAPHOLE

by oznztofro Written Jun 30, 2012

If your going to tangier via the ferry take a Can of Deoderant plus a lighter. Why because you will need it to blow flames and at *** Morrocan who comes up to you and trying to sell you crap or take you to crap

I threated to Call the police if they didnt stop bothering me.

I paid a guy 50 euros to show me around town and he couldnt help but take me to his friends carpet shop where the *** tryed to sell me his crap

If you are ever brought into a shop without any reason for being there

1 MOAN AND COMPLAIN THAT YOU can bring their work back home because of quarantine laws

2. Get the hell out of the shop

And if some fool at the port wants to fill out your form its best if you give him a good push and walk right in

Dont forget to support a Free Western Sahara and if any moroccan pisses you off. You tell them to get the hell out of western Sahara

Every Moroccan who goes around their country bothering people ought to be shot in the foot So clench your fist and thow a bunch

• Layzeedude's Profile Photo

Get a Guide

by Layzeedude Written Jan 10, 2005

As soon as I had left the ferry there was someone following me asking for money. The only respite from this bombardment was when I went and got myself a guide for the day. A really nice guy called Charlie. I asked a bloke at a small art gallery and he put us in touch.

• bishopkenneth's Profile Photo

Forget Hotel Reservations

by bishopkenneth Written Apr 10, 2005

Before going to Tangier, I was begged by friends in Gibraltar to make alternative plans and visit a different Morrocan city; I didn't listen, telling them I'd already arranged reservations. They said, "The reservations won't be there when you get there". Sure enough, the people at the hotel acted like I was a LUNATIC to suggest I'd made reservations, though I'd called 3 weeks earlier and confirmed them.

• tafurojo's Profile Photo

Tangier Taxi Drivers

by tafurojo Written Jun 11, 2005

Ok, I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt going into Tangier after all the horror stories I heard. It wasn't nearly as bad as I prepared for but it definitely has its share of hassles. My biggest conscern were the taxi drivers that didn't have your interest as their upmost priority.

I picked up a taxi driver from the train station and gave the name of a pension that was recommended to me. The first taxi driver admitted he didn't know where it was so I told him i'd find another. The second one claimed he knew where it was and then took me on a joyride through Tangier eventually stopping at some other pension offering to drop me off here. I told him absolutely not. Tangier is wild and exciting but at this point I just wanted a place to drop my bags. He pulled off and started driving around again, the meter was rising and I was getting anxious. The driver pulled a small vile out of his pocket with powder on it and proceded to snort it off his hand. This was the final straw. I asked him to let me out and didn't even worry about the amount of money I really owed him. I just tossed him a 5EUR bill which was the smallest I had on me and didn't care about change. I just wanted out of that taxi.

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo

Touts and Fake Tourist Information Officers !!!

by Pakistaniguy Written May 22, 2004

One of my life worst travelling experience was at this port of Tangier. Be aware of this touts and people saying - 'MY FRIEND ... ' -

Instant Answers: Tangier

Comments

Tangier Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tangier warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tangier sightseeing.