Tetouan Warnings and Dangers

Narrow Streets
    by jamiesno
    MEDINA, TETOUAN
    by matcrazy1
  • Ceuta border: here carpet touts await you...
    Ceuta border: here carpet touts await...
    by Alice-Kees

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Tetouan

• earthflyer's Profile Photo

Touts

by earthflyer Updated May 30, 2009

Since my arrival in Tetouan I was harrassed at the CTM bus station for a place to stay by a Moroccan who was using a bad western langauge that I have not seen before in Morocco, then when I got rid of him and got up the hill into the main street I found I was being followed by another Moroccan who was trying to get commission from whatever hotel I was stying at.

I eventually confronted him and asked him why he was following me around the block, he had no response and just ran off but not far he was watching me.

People like this leave a bad impressing for me about the town. and I'm affraid Tetouan is ranked my lowest place in this lovely country of Morocco which now I have visited four times, but I will not return again to Tetouan it has a left a bad impression for me because of the touts.

Hope someday the local goverment will do something about the touts otherwise big problems will arise for Tetouan in the future.

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

Faux Guide is a thing of the past

by Doctor38 Updated Nov 18, 2008

Tetouan has a very bad reputation, may be it did deserve it in the past. But I don’t think it should have that reputation any more. The city is very safe and I did not encounter any hustler what so ever despite walking in the old Medina carrying my lonely planet or the rough guide and taking pictures so frequently, my actions were non event and did not attract any unwanted attention from the locals.

I even went out of my way and asked the locals about my hotel and I was always directed to the correct direction and no one suggested any alternative or attempted to direct me somewhere else. I asked the locals to show me where the Synagogue and Bab Aloklah where but no body tried to any thing unusual.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

"Sewage system" in medina

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 18, 2005

There is no normal sewage system in the most of medina. All liquid rubbish flows in the middle of some streets. I have never seen such "sewage system" anywhere else in Morocco.

So, my advice is to be extremely carefull about food sold in the street, better not to buy anything on the streets.

MEDINA, TETOUAN
    • Hiking and Walking

• Alice-Kees's Profile Photo

Tetouan: agressive carpet sellers!

by Alice-Kees Written Aug 4, 2004

Also very much active in Tetouan: read this story in our Morrocco pages!
    Once you enter the country at the Ceuta border, you will most probably share your taxi to Tetouan with some "friendly" guy who in the end will offer you to show you around town and when you do this, he will take you to his uncle's carpet shop.

Ceuta border: here carpet touts await you...

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

It's a maze!

by jamiesno Written Feb 28, 2003

When you are visiting Tetouan it will be like nothing you've seen before most likely. I didn't see any street names and it was literally like a maze. I would be very careful not to get lost and careful of where you might wonder. For the most part it seems safe and many different religions live side by side but I am sure there is the chance of getting pick pocketed and being confronted with a language barier can be scary in those odd moments.

Narrow Streets

Instant Answers: Tetouan

Comments

Tetouan Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tetouan warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tetouan sightseeing.