Know about this? Rate It!
Find the real Medina
We visited the Medina in Casablanca. After being disappointed by watches and tshirts and moroccan crafts made in china, we continued further off and found the Real Medina and it was wonderful!!
Standing in front of a tower which must be the "main entrance" turn and face the Hyatt Hotel (it's just outside the Medina) and then start walking to your right, stay outside the wall that seems to encircle the Medina, and follow the wall for about 200 meters North, when you come to the next big entry into the Medina, your in what appeared to me to be the real heart of it all. The small roads radiating to your left are looking wonderful, and if you enter the Medina at this point, and wander in and quickly up to your right. I only went right, but everywhere from here looked great. Egg vendors, meat vendors, spice vendors, and very few gringos like me. We were there at sunset in December, and no-one noticed us, we felt safe, and could have spent hours and hours there. If you want to buy spices this is the place, other than that, it's all stuff for locals. Don't miss the real Medina, it's alive and thrilling.
Casablanca a city of beauty and great food, but alas the shopkeepers of the alley. Their hecklings on tourists with absurd low prices merely to ridicule us. They should not prejudge as we may not be keen on their goods for whatever reason and not because we cannot afford them. (But not as bad as Cairo, to cheat you on currency - started calling out in Egyptian pound and once you were enticed they demanded British pound or US Dollar or else they intimidate by gathering around you!) To be treated this way, and the need for a visa to visit this country, I reserve my comment
- Historical Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Casablanca Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Pacific Palisades Hotels
- Ang Mo Kio New Town Hotels
- Canovanas Hotels
- Cap-de-la-Madeleine Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path