Casablanca Restaurants

Terrace 1
    Terrace 2

Most Recent Restaurants in Casablanca

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Restaurant Le Tonkin: Oriental and European cuisine.

by Bennytheball Updated Jun 4, 2014

Restaurant Le Tonkin.

I stumbled on this oriental eaterie, quite by accident, on a walkabout close to my regular diner, which had let me down badly with a mediocre steak, so I was on the prowl for something better...

Walking up the tree-lined pedestrian street Rue Prince Moulay Abdallah, I noticed this Vietnamese restaurant, read the displayed menu at street level and decided to give it a try, simply because it served Chinese curry, one of my favourites.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant was spacious and quiet, in early evening, with only one other diner, the furnishings were very oriental and elegant and immediately made me feel comfortable. The waiter service was prompt and polite, I ordered beef curry with special fried rice ( included chicken, ham, and prawns) and two bottles of Heinekin beer, which came to a total of Dh185, I paid the waiter Dh200 and told him to keep the change, for which he was most pleased.

The only thing I can say about the meal is that it was one of the best dinners I've had in Morocco for many years, and will be my default return choice next year.

Update 2014.....I returned twice this year and the food was still very good and of consistent quality, the salon was busier, it features several wide-screen televisions and was a popular place to watch football while eating and drinking.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Sens: High level dining!

by gordonilla Written May 10, 2014
    Interior

The restaurant is located on the 27th floor and can seat some 80 diners. The view of Casablanca is wonderful. I have to say that they food was good, the staff are young and smart.

Although the view was wonderful, the staff were not so good - there was French, Arabic and English spoken. However they seemed unable to really understand what was ordered in any of the three languages.. The service issues were compensated by the menu.

Insense: A breakfast room and French Brasserie

by gordonilla Written May 10, 2014
    Signage

This was a pleasant facility and doubles as the hotel breakfast room and a French Brasserie for lunch and dinner. The staff seem busy, but it sometimes took an age to get another coffee or even a cup.

Breakfast : 6:30 to 10:30 am

Lunch : 12:30 to 3:00 pm

Dinner : 7:00 pm to 11: 00 pm

Very good buffet breakfast and the coffee was good. I did not have lunch or dinner in the brasserie - however the menu seems fine. The restaurant is located on the second floor.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Rick's Cafe: As time goes by!

by gordonilla Written Apr 30, 2014
    Signage

During lunch, I spoke to one of my colleagues from Casablanca; I said I had always wanted to visit the city. This came about from having seen the film "Casablanca" many times and being a great fan of Humphrey Bogart. One of my UK based colleagues who was with me had not seen the film at all!

It was the local team's surprise that we were eating at Rick's Café - they had a good menu, excellent staff and there was a pianist playing all the "old songs" including "As times goes by".

There were two floors for dining and there was a cocktail bar up stairs showing the film too! they also have a small kiosk shop for the sale of t-shirts and the like.

Favorite Dish: I had a great goat cheese salad to start and then a wonderful local lamb and chick pea main course. They also have good coffee and desserts.

Le Bistronome: A business lunch with local colleagues

by gordonilla Written Apr 30, 2014

Exterior

A lunch with local colleagues, and the restaurant was around the corner from the office. The staff are excellent and great menu.

Favorite Dish: Great starters and good main courses.

There is a heavy seafood and fish bias to the menu.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Rick's Cafe: Expensive, but nice

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 6, 2013
    Great decor !!!!!

First and foremost .... the movie Casablanca WAS NOT FILMED in MOROCCO .... but some very creative people have made a "Rick's cafe" in Casablanca ..... now I was not overly eager to come here since I was told the place was very expensive .... and YES it is expensive for a country where one can eat so good for so cheap ..... with that being said ..... the owners of the place have done an excellent job in transforming this space into a great reproduction of the movie !!!!! Prices for drinks start at 50 dirhams about $6 US and run into the 160 dirhams about $20 US for premium liquor ..... the food plates start at 100 dirahms about $12.50 US and run up to 200 dirhams about $25 US per plate.

The day we were there the place was packed with Westerner's and Diplomats .... We choose to have 1 drink and look around ... we prefer to eat local food at cheaper prices .....

But I was extremely impressed with the decor ....

Only one complaint of the place .... when trying to get a taxi back to our hotel the doorman was unwilling to give me a "rough estimate of how much to pay" I found that wrong since he's a local and I was a customer at his restaurant .... instead negotiate he told me .....
    And of course since your coming out of one of the most expensive places in all of Casablanca the taxi driver's try to charge an exaggerated amount of money ... we walked off and hailed a taxi on the street and were charged by the meter back to our hotel .... Nice way of treating your guests !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would highly recommend this place if your with a loved one .... if not come here and check it out and have a drink like we did ....

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Cafe Rich Bar: great sandwiches

by angiebabe Written Apr 18, 2011

There are many small eateries/sandwich bar type places around town and the city centre - the locals are in the know for where is good and where they are happy to go to - if you are out and about and you see an eatery with a lot of locals eating then you can be pretty sure its a good place to grab something to eat - and the price will be good - Ive experienced this many times when with my Moroccan connections and would agree that by comparison in the western world many of these places we wouldnt go into as we would think theyre either 'cheap and nasty', unclean, or lots of men or people staring at you as if something is wrong - but its none of these....take my word for it and go with the flow and enjoy travelling and living with inside knowledge!!

The general eat out is a sandwich - what we would call a bagette with meat and salad stuffed into it - but thats what they are called in most parts around Morocco and between the bread and the ingredients everything about them is more delicious than if you ate the same back home believe me!

Brochettes - ie grilled cubes of meat: beef, mutton or even liver or kidneys is a choice, or kefta which is fried mince meat, with salad added - you can actually think up anything and ask for it - a can of tuna, sardines, chicken - see what you feel like and what is in stock - add salad and theyll put a bit of mayonnaise on top and throw some frites/chips on and wrap it up in paper for you....voila delicious and can cost as low as 20 dirham ie £1.50/2 euro!

Either sit down - a waiter will come along and wipe your table but you probably have to get the sandwich yourself - but not always - he will ask if you want something to drink - coca cola, sprite, pommes orange (is fanta), citron is lemon

We ate at this place last month in March in some sunshine - wind was a little cool but it was nice and off we went to see the next on the agenda!

Chawarma at Casablanca Airport

Yummy!

My Casablanca -- Paris flight was delayed due to the Air France strike. We were issued drink coupons to be claimed at someplace in the airport. Took me a long time to find the right place, and was hungry (hadn't eaten since about 0300, breakfast on the Air France flight from Shanghai) so I bought a chawarma as well. It was tasty enough, but airport food being what it is, it cost a whopping 45 MAD which was more than twice what it would've cost on Rue Chaouia beside Marche Centrale.
    Coke and Sprite bottle labels were in Arabic as well as the usual English!

• Business Travel

Roast Chicken Near Marche Centrale

My huge dinner

There're a number of restaurants specialising in roast chicken and chawarmas on Rue Chaouia beside Marche Centrale. I picked one that looked reasonably clean and had a healthy (literally as well as figuratively) number of diners. Erm it was a little strange, but I think most if not all the diners at various restaurants were male.
    I ordered a quarter of roast chicken, and also a lamb chawarma. What I didn't know was that these items would come with side dishes, so I ended up having too much to eat! I wish the person who took my order (you state your order to one of the waiters hanging around in front before finding yourself a place to sit).
    The "unexpected" items were a basket of bread, a plate of olives in oil (not sure what else was in it), as well as 2 baskets of fries! I barely finished any bread, though I managed to choke down most of the fries and a bit of the olive/oil dip.
    The quarter of roast chicken came pretty quickly, but the chawarma much later.
    The chicken was tasty on the outside but got a bit boring and dry on the inside. I tried to finish as much as I could, but had to order a bottle of Coke in order to wash it down, felt much better that way. There was water in a pitcher on the table, but no other diner was drinking that, so I stayed away from it. Maybe that water was used for washing hands, or otherwise unclean/unsafe to drink? I never got to know the answer.
    The chawarma was reasonable, though I was already pretty stuffed from the chicken and whatever else came earlier, so I couldn't enjoy it as much. I wish I could've done a takeaway for this to eat for breakfast or even supper, but I wasn't sure if the staff would understand me, so I persuaded myself to eat as much as I could.
    There was a black-and-white kitty slinking around the tables looking for scraps. Thankfully it helped to eat a lot of my roast chicken when I got tired of it, but it didn't like the bread, and it turned its nose up at onions which I picked out of my chawarma. I don't think it liked the lamb very much either.
    Quarter of roast chicken and the lamb chawarma cost 20 MAD each (with trimmings), and the bottle of Coke cost 5 MAD.

L'Etoile Centrale: Recommended for Moroccan Food

Entrance

This restaurant is located behind Marche Centrale. It was recommended by the guidebook as well as the staff at Hotel Gallia for Moroccan food. However unfortunately I was seriously counting pennies when I was there, I didn't want to be stuck without enough for the train ride back to the airport the next morning at 0700! So sadly I could only stand outside, take photos of the menu and salivate on my own. :(

• iaint's Profile Photo

Delight: pricey but good

by iaint Updated Dec 24, 2009

Cool stylish hotel (Novotel Casa City Centre) restaurant. Friendly, efficient staff, a good menu and good food.

Only problem was the price - DH250 for a main course and 2 small beers!

Verging on the rip off, but let's just say you can get better value for money quite easily!

I would have tried outside the hotel but I'd had a long day and a tricky arrival at the airport, so just wanted to be fed quietly.

Favorite Dish: Lamb tajine with lemons.

• Business Travel

Rick's Menu

by keeweechic Written Jan 11, 2009

The café offers a big seafood menu as well as a goat cheese salad, foie gras, steak and many local dishes for dinner. The desert menu includes not only local fruits and dishes but good American favourites such as brownies and cheesecake. For lunch again the American flavour is brought in with hamburgers and chili along with the local tagines and fish dishes. It is recommended to book.

The restaurant is open for lunch from 12.00noon to 3.00pm and from 6.00pm – 1.00am for dinner daily. Interestingly, the owner has named her company ‘The Usual Suspects” company.

Rick's Cafe

by keeweechic Written Jan 11, 2009

Following the huge success of the movie “Casablanca” and Rick’s Café that features in it, someone finally opened a restaurant with the same name (since there never was a Rick’s Café). It was opened in 2004 by a former US diplomat in Morocco, Kathy Kriger with an aim to recreate the famous ‘Gin Joint’ bar. The building is an old mansion with a central courtyard which butts up to the walls of the Ancient Medina. There are many features, both highly decorative and architectural which feature in the movie and of course an authentic 1930’s Pleyel piano which constantly plays “As Time Goes By”. Sunday’s are set aside for jam sessions from travelling musicians and local talent.

Variety of Cuisines

by keeweechic Written Jan 10, 2009

Restaurants in Casablanca still carry a French influence and can be found in top restaurants.. Of course the Moroccan Tagine made up mainly of lamb or chicken is very popular. There are also man other international cuisines to choose from.

Fast Food

by keeweechic Written Jan 10, 2009

Within the Marjane complex you will find other stores, restaurants such as Pizza Hut and McDonalds – both fairly safe to eat at. As with most countries, there will also be dishes that are particular to that country. McDonalds in Casablanca is no different, they have Moroccan soup (Harira), a Fondue burger (cheese) and a vegetarian burger. The first Macca’s opened in Casablanca in 1992 but it still too expensive to the average Moroccan.

Instant Answers: Casablanca

Comments

Casablanca Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Casablanca restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Casablanca sightseeing.