Casablanca Restaurants

view from upstairs ....
    by jlanza29
    loved the decor
    by jlanza29
    Rue Prince Moulay Abdallah.
    by Bennytheball

Most Recent Restaurants in Casablanca

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Restaurant Le Tonkin: Oriental and European cuisine.

by Bennytheball Written Jun 2, 2013

I stumbled on this oriental eaterie, quite by accident, on a walkabout close to my regular diner, which had let me down badly with a mediocre steak, so I was on the prowl for something better...

Walking up the tree-lined pedestrian street Rue Prince Moulay Abdallah, I noticed this Vietnamese restaurant, read the displayed menu at street level and decided to give it a try, simply because it served Chinese curry, one of my favourites.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant was spacious and quiet, in early evening, with only one other diner, the furnishings were very oriental and elegant and immediately made me feel comfortable. The waiter service was prompt and polite, I ordered beef curry with special fried rice ( included chicken, ham, and prawns) and two bottles of Heinekin beer, which came to a total of Dh185, I paid the waiter Dh200 and told him to keep the change, for which he was most pleased.

The only thing I can say about the meal is that it was one of the best dinners I've had in Morocco for many years, and will be my default return choice next year.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Rick's Cafe: Expensive, but nice

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 6, 2013
    Great decor !!!!!

First and foremost .... the movie Casablanca WAS NOT FILMED in MOROCCO .... but some very creative people have made a "Rick's cafe" in Casablanca ..... now I was not overly eager to come here since I was told the place was very expensive .... and YES it is expensive for a country where one can eat so good for so cheap ..... with that being said ..... the owners of the place have done an excellent job in transforming this space into a great reproduction of the movie !!!!! Prices for drinks start at 50 dirhams about $6 US and run into the 160 dirhams about $20 US for premium liquor ..... the food plates start at 100 dirahms about $12.50 US and run up to 200 dirhams about $25 US per plate.

The day we were there the place was packed with Westerner's and Diplomats .... We choose to have 1 drink and look around ... we prefer to eat local food at cheaper prices .....

But I was extremely impressed with the decor ....

Only one complaint of the place .... when trying to get a taxi back to our hotel the doorman was unwilling to give me a "rough estimate of how much to pay" I found that wrong since he's a local and I was a customer at his restaurant .... instead negotiate he told me .....
    And of course since your coming out of one of the most expensive places in all of Casablanca the taxi driver's try to charge an exaggerated amount of money ... we walked off and hailed a taxi on the street and were charged by the meter back to our hotel .... Nice way of treating your guests !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would highly recommend this place if your with a loved one .... if not come here and check it out and have a drink like we did ....

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Cafe Rich Bar: great sandwiches

by angiebabe Written Apr 18, 2011

There are many small eateries/sandwich bar type places around town and the city centre - the locals are in the know for where is good and where they are happy to go to - if you are out and about and you see an eatery with a lot of locals eating then you can be pretty sure its a good place to grab something to eat - and the price will be good - Ive experienced this many times when with my Moroccan connections and would agree that by comparison in the western world many of these places we wouldnt go into as we would think theyre either 'cheap and nasty', unclean, or lots of men or people staring at you as if something is wrong - but its none of these....take my word for it and go with the flow and enjoy travelling and living with inside knowledge!!

The general eat out is a sandwich - what we would call a bagette with meat and salad stuffed into it - but thats what they are called in most parts around Morocco and between the bread and the ingredients everything about them is more delicious than if you ate the same back home believe me!

Brochettes - ie grilled cubes of meat: beef, mutton or even liver or kidneys is a choice, or kefta which is fried mince meat, with salad added - you can actually think up anything and ask for it - a can of tuna, sardines, chicken - see what you feel like and what is in stock - add salad and theyll put a bit of mayonnaise on top and throw some frites/chips on and wrap it up in paper for you....voila delicious and can cost as low as 20 dirham ie £1.50/2 euro!

Either sit down - a waiter will come along and wipe your table but you probably have to get the sandwich yourself - but not always - he will ask if you want something to drink - coca cola, sprite, pommes orange (is fanta), citron is lemon

We ate at this place last month in March in some sunshine - wind was a little cool but it was nice and off we went to see the next on the agenda!

Chawarma at Casablanca Airport

Yummy!

My Casablanca -- Paris flight was delayed due to the Air France strike. We were issued drink coupons to be claimed at someplace in the airport. Took me a long time to find the right place, and was hungry (hadn't eaten since about 0300, breakfast on the Air France flight from Shanghai) so I bought a chawarma as well. It was tasty enough, but airport food being what it is, it cost a whopping 45 MAD which was more than twice what it would've cost on Rue Chaouia beside Marche Centrale.
    Coke and Sprite bottle labels were in Arabic as well as the usual English!

• Business Travel

Roast Chicken Near Marche Centrale

My huge dinner

There're a number of restaurants specialising in roast chicken and chawarmas on Rue Chaouia beside Marche Centrale. I picked one that looked reasonably clean and had a healthy (literally as well as figuratively) number of diners. Erm it was a little strange, but I think most if not all the diners at various restaurants were male.
    I ordered a quarter of roast chicken, and also a lamb chawarma. What I didn't know was that these items would come with side dishes, so I ended up having too much to eat! I wish the person who took my order (you state your order to one of the waiters hanging around in front before finding yourself a place to sit).
    The "unexpected" items were a basket of bread, a plate of olives in oil (not sure what else was in it), as well as 2 baskets of fries! I barely finished any bread, though I managed to choke down most of the fries and a bit of the olive/oil dip.
    The quarter of roast chicken came pretty quickly, but the chawarma much later.
    The chicken was tasty on the outside but got a bit boring and dry on the inside. I tried to finish as much as I could, but had to order a bottle of Coke in order to wash it down, felt much better that way. There was water in a pitcher on the table, but no other diner was drinking that, so I stayed away from it. Maybe that water was used for washing hands, or otherwise unclean/unsafe to drink? I never got to know the answer.
    The chawarma was reasonable, though I was already pretty stuffed from the chicken and whatever else came earlier, so I couldn't enjoy it as much. I wish I could've done a takeaway for this to eat for breakfast or even supper, but I wasn't sure if the staff would understand me, so I persuaded myself to eat as much as I could.
    There was a black-and-white kitty slinking around the tables looking for scraps. Thankfully it helped to eat a lot of my roast chicken when I got tired of it, but it didn't like the bread, and it turned its nose up at onions which I picked out of my chawarma. I don't think it liked the lamb very much either.
    Quarter of roast chicken and the lamb chawarma cost 20 MAD each (with trimmings), and the bottle of Coke cost 5 MAD.

L'Etoile Centrale: Recommended for Moroccan Food

Entrance

This restaurant is located behind Marche Centrale. It was recommended by the guidebook as well as the staff at Hotel Gallia for Moroccan food. However unfortunately I was seriously counting pennies when I was there, I didn't want to be stuck without enough for the train ride back to the airport the next morning at 0700! So sadly I could only stand outside, take photos of the menu and salivate on my own. :(

• iaint's Profile Photo

Delight: pricey but good

by iaint Updated Dec 24, 2009

Cool stylish hotel (Novotel Casa City Centre) restaurant. Friendly, efficient staff, a good menu and good food.

Only problem was the price - DH250 for a main course and 2 small beers!

Verging on the rip off, but let's just say you can get better value for money quite easily!

I would have tried outside the hotel but I'd had a long day and a tricky arrival at the airport, so just wanted to be fed quietly.

Favorite Dish: Lamb tajine with lemons.

• Business Travel

Rick's Menu

by keeweechic Written Jan 11, 2009

The café offers a big seafood menu as well as a goat cheese salad, foie gras, steak and many local dishes for dinner. The desert menu includes not only local fruits and dishes but good American favourites such as brownies and cheesecake. For lunch again the American flavour is brought in with hamburgers and chili along with the local tagines and fish dishes. It is recommended to book.

The restaurant is open for lunch from 12.00noon to 3.00pm and from 6.00pm – 1.00am for dinner daily. Interestingly, the owner has named her company ‘The Usual Suspects” company.

Rick's Cafe

by keeweechic Written Jan 11, 2009

Following the huge success of the movie “Casablanca” and Rick’s Café that features in it, someone finally opened a restaurant with the same name (since there never was a Rick’s Café). It was opened in 2004 by a former US diplomat in Morocco, Kathy Kriger with an aim to recreate the famous ‘Gin Joint’ bar. The building is an old mansion with a central courtyard which butts up to the walls of the Ancient Medina. There are many features, both highly decorative and architectural which feature in the movie and of course an authentic 1930’s Pleyel piano which constantly plays “As Time Goes By”. Sunday’s are set aside for jam sessions from travelling musicians and local talent.

Variety of Cuisines

by keeweechic Written Jan 10, 2009

Restaurants in Casablanca still carry a French influence and can be found in top restaurants.. Of course the Moroccan Tagine made up mainly of lamb or chicken is very popular. There are also man other international cuisines to choose from.

Fast Food

by keeweechic Written Jan 10, 2009

Within the Marjane complex you will find other stores, restaurants such as Pizza Hut and McDonalds – both fairly safe to eat at. As with most countries, there will also be dishes that are particular to that country. McDonalds in Casablanca is no different, they have Moroccan soup (Harira), a Fondue burger (cheese) and a vegetarian burger. The first Macca’s opened in Casablanca in 1992 but it still too expensive to the average Moroccan.

Ostrea: Excellent Sea Food and Oysters

by Doctor38 Updated Jul 11, 2008

inside

This is the best sea food restaurant within Casablanca. It located inside the fishermen port. The location is very unusual but very very appropriate. The setting is very smart and romantic. If you are a sea food lover the place is for you. Weather you where after Calamari, or fish. Japanese oyster is this restaurants speciality as owner farm and grows his own oysters at his facility in Oualidiah, where they operate a resturant and a hotel (see my Ouladia tips
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/b5051/203518/3/#1880998 ; http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/b5051/203518/a/ ) People come to this place for it. I have been to this restaurant few times and I after mixed sea food dish and Paella. Don’t call it a night before having desert which a must.

This place is very close to Casa Port Train station and about one km away. I recommend you come by your car or a taxi because the road between the train station and port is dark at night. As you exit the train station turn right immediately (walk opposite direction of the traffic light) and then turn left. Keep walking until you see the harbours gate, pass through it. You’ll see 2 restaurants, go to the one to your right. The other restaurant also supposed to be a good sea food restaurant which is cheaper and busier but I never attempted to try it.

• anujalia's Profile Photo

Rick's Cafe: For a piece of Cinema

by anujalia Written Feb 12, 2008

Rick's

Just for a Piece of the epic movie, this place is worth visiting. The ambiance is great, the food is good and they have a good selection of wine. And on the first floor, they have the movie running on a big screen. 'Drinks or Dinner' the guard outside asks you. The reply makes you fit for a seating on the first floor or a stool at the bar mostly. But just to soak in it, visit it.

Favorite Dish: The lobster was pretty good.

Marche Central: Unlikely restaurant

by Doctor38 Updated Jan 16, 2008

This is the central market and it is a very unusual place for a restaurant. You basically chose and pay the fish or meat from the market. There are 2 places where they can grill or fry your food. The restaurant will provide you with the salads and the bread. You can ask the botcher to prepare the meet as Kebabs or ticka and he'll add the spices for you. Your sea food choices range from shrimps to Calamari, to whatever is available on display as the catch of the day. If you don't know what kind of fish will be good just ask the sales person. Don't expect any thing grand or fancy but it is a good place to see the locals

Needless to say that the market has all the fruits and vegetables you want. There is also a place where you can get freshly squeezed orange or lemon juices

Al-Monya Restaurant: Excellent Moroccan Food

by Doctor38 Updated Jan 16, 2008

Out side Garden

This is probably where you can eat the best Moroccan food. The Harera is a must. You can order any thing from Bastella to Coscus. This restaurant is not cheap but it is worth the money you are paying. You can sit in the Garden in the shadow of a very big tree or sit inside the very Authentic beautifully decorated house. The service is very professional and friendly.

The restaurant is located on Moulay Abdullah Street which runs Parallel to his brother Hassan II :-). It is located next to the offices of the prime minister and 100 meter before you get to the French consulate. If you are coming from The Hyatt and Bab Marrakesh you pass by McDonalds. Keep on walking until you get out of the walking district. You'll see the restaurant on you left hand. I am not sure that there is a prominent sign or not. The restuarant is open from 11-3 and 7 to mid night

Instant Answers: Casablanca

Comments

Casablanca Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Casablanca restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Casablanca sightseeing.