Casablanca Restaurants

view from upstairs ....
    by jlanza29
    loved the decor
    by jlanza29
    Rue Prince Moulay Abdallah.
    by Bennytheball

Best Rated Restaurants in Casablanca

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

taverne du dauphin: the most perfect meal

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 12, 2008

entree...

It has not only the best meal we had in Morocco, but the best meal we've had in years. The Taverne du Dauphin is now one of our three favourite restaurants in the world. This restaurant has been around a very long time and it has a great reputation, which means that it is often full (so phone ahead and reserve a table). it is French-run, but luckily it has not been influenced by the "cover-it-in-sauce" posh French cuisine.

Favorite Dish: We had so many different dishes, and all were delicious, that it's hard to pick one. Some things we ordered - some otherthings were ordered for us by some friendly Moroccans at the nearby table - yes, the same ones who tried to drink us under the table by offering us glasses of wine galore (tahnk you, guys...).

Anyway - the seafood was all excellent, in particular the "couteau de mer" - among the second courses it's worth citing a dreamy octopus cooked in galician style and some simple grilled sardines... but grilled to perfection. We kept saying that we had been fed like king and queen

At Rue Chaoui: The cheapest restaurants

VIEW FROM MY RESTAURANT AT RUE CHAOUI

The cheapest, basic restaurants which served good local food (limited choice) I found in the two areas:
    1. around entrance to Ancienne Medina in Place des Nations Unies,
    2. in Avenue lala Yacout (popular among natives fast food bars)
    I have found another place close to my hotel: a few small and very simple "restaurants" in Rue Chaoui with tables on a street.
    I tasted delicious Moroccan couscous there: made in traditional style in special pots for couscous - it cost 2-3 US$ per person.

Favorite Dish: Royal (with meat) or Fish couscous.

At Rue Chaoui: Don't miss local bread

LOCAL BAKERY AT RUE ALLAL BEN, CASABLANCA

Taste delicious and always fresh small or medium size round bread. It's often hot - how do they do it?
    I found a few bakeries or rather small stores which sold homemade bread and other food in Rue Chaoui, close to my hotel (Hotel Touring).

Favorite Dish: Small home-made bread.

• Hiking and Walking

Bar Casablanca: Based on the movie Casablanca

BAR CASABLANCA

Piano bar, the Bar Casablanca in Casablanca Hyatt Regency Hotel, has an unique decoration, based on the movie Casablanca, bringing back to life Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart and Rick's Cafe.
    Enjoy a cocktail, or ask a barman for your favourite refreshment or/and dessert. Live music every evening except on Sunday.

HOURS:
    Daily: 10:00 am until 1:00 am

Favorite Dish: I drank only an orange juice there - quite good (especially at its price haha).

• Luxury Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Movable street stalls: Fruits from street moving vendors

FRUIT SELLER AND HIS VEHICLE

You can buy fresh and cheap fruits (grapes and bananas in late September) from street vendors selling them from such vehicle as on the picture, oh they often move.
    I observed them from my hotel window, so it was not problem for me to catch them haha.

Another notice: often children works as street vendors in Moroco. Prices are usually - but not always - fixed and marked.

Bananas seems to be save to eat, grapes? hmm... better to wash them before eating, you can ask for water to wash them in any street bar/store, I'm almost sure they would not refuse you and would not expect any money for it.

Favorite Dish: Grapes (green ones).

• Hiking and Walking

Al-Monya Restaurant: Excellent Moroccan Food

by Doctor38 Updated Jan 16, 2008

Out side Garden

This is probably where you can eat the best Moroccan food. The Harera is a must. You can order any thing from Bastella to Coscus. This restaurant is not cheap but it is worth the money you are paying. You can sit in the Garden in the shadow of a very big tree or sit inside the very Authentic beautifully decorated house. The service is very professional and friendly.

The restaurant is located on Moulay Abdullah Street which runs Parallel to his brother Hassan II :-). It is located next to the offices of the prime minister and 100 meter before you get to the French consulate. If you are coming from The Hyatt and Bab Marrakesh you pass by McDonalds. Keep on walking until you get out of the walking district. You'll see the restaurant on you left hand. I am not sure that there is a prominent sign or not. The restuarant is open from 11-3 and 7 to mid night

Ostrea: Excellent Sea Food and Oysters

by Doctor38 Updated Jul 11, 2008

inside

This is the best sea food restaurant within Casablanca. It located inside the fishermen port. The location is very unusual but very very appropriate. The setting is very smart and romantic. If you are a sea food lover the place is for you. Weather you where after Calamari, or fish. Japanese oyster is this restaurants speciality as owner farm and grows his own oysters at his facility in Oualidiah, where they operate a resturant and a hotel (see my Ouladia tips
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/b5051/203518/3/#1880998 ; http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/b5051/203518/a/ ) People come to this place for it. I have been to this restaurant few times and I after mixed sea food dish and Paella. Don’t call it a night before having desert which a must.

This place is very close to Casa Port Train station and about one km away. I recommend you come by your car or a taxi because the road between the train station and port is dark at night. As you exit the train station turn right immediately (walk opposite direction of the traffic light) and then turn left. Keep walking until you see the harbours gate, pass through it. You’ll see 2 restaurants, go to the one to your right. The other restaurant also supposed to be a good sea food restaurant which is cheaper and busier but I never attempted to try it.

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

Benis Patisserie: Pastry Heaven

by TomorrowsAngel Written Sep 26, 2005

sweet treats

After reading in Royal Air Maroc’s in-flight magazine that Benis Patisserie is reputed to serve the best pastries in Morocco, I was on a mission to locate this paradise.
    Located in the depths of Quartier Habous I actually found it pretty easily and wandered inside to see what it was all about.
    Inside there was a queue of about 10 people, all buying pastries, bastilla and biscuits by the kilogram.

Favorite Dish: I started to feel slightly embarrassed about just wanting to buy a small selection, but before I knew it, a friendly gentleman had pushed me to the front of the queue and it was my turn!!
    I ended up with the famed hornes des gazelles (hoping they didn’t contain actually gazelle!!), marzipan bikkies (called something amandes) and a few other small treats. And I can tell you that yes; these were the best I tasted on my trip to Morocco!!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

le port de peche: fresh fish fantasia

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 12, 2008

the restaurant

A very popular fish restaurant inside the harbour - serving excellent fresh fish - not much seafood, though, you better go somewhere else for this (for example to Ostréa, just opposite). Always full of people, so it's best to phone and make a reservation, or else try to arrive early, especially at weekends.

Favorite Dish: We had oysters as a starter (for about 50 cents of euro each) and then a huge "black" paella prepared right on the spot. Excellent, and worth waiting the forty-five minutes the waiter had announced.

Marche Central: Unlikely restaurant

by Doctor38 Updated Jan 16, 2008

This is the central market and it is a very unusual place for a restaurant. You basically chose and pay the fish or meat from the market. There are 2 places where they can grill or fry your food. The restaurant will provide you with the salads and the bread. You can ask the botcher to prepare the meet as Kebabs or ticka and he'll add the spices for you. Your sea food choices range from shrimps to Calamari, to whatever is available on display as the catch of the day. If you don't know what kind of fish will be good just ask the sales person. Don't expect any thing grand or fancy but it is a good place to see the locals

Needless to say that the market has all the fruits and vegetables you want. There is also a place where you can get freshly squeezed orange or lemon juices

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

El Andalous: Arabic

by TomorrowsAngel Written Sep 26, 2005

our lebanese mezze

We decided to try El Andalous because it offered live traditional Moroccan music and dancing, as well as dinner.
    The restaurant is dimly lit with Moroccan crafts on the walls and tables. There are lower set tables with padded cushions for large groups and smaller Western-style tables for couples dining.
    The music was tranquil and got lively and louder as the night wore on.

Favorite Dish: We started with a Lebanese mezze, which came with fattoush, hummus, tabbouleh, moussaka, babaganoush, Lebanese foul and mutable, it was accompanied with the traditional fresh and pickled vegetables and soft warm Arabic bread.
    Our mains were: vegetable and couscous tagine, and a lamb with prunes tagine.
    For dessert we sampled mouhallabia, umm ali and fresh fruit salad.
    All the food was delicious and I’d definitely eat there again!!

• LysDor's Profile Photo

Most restaurants are located...

by LysDor Updated May 30, 2003

Most restaurants are located at *LA CORNICHE* along the seaside.
    I tried three of them located near each other serving delicious french cuisine, mostly seafood and fish dishes.

Le Cabestan

Tel. 36.33.15

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Cafe Rich Bar: great sandwiches

by angiebabe Written Apr 18, 2011

There are many small eateries/sandwich bar type places around town and the city centre - the locals are in the know for where is good and where they are happy to go to - if you are out and about and you see an eatery with a lot of locals eating then you can be pretty sure its a good place to grab something to eat - and the price will be good - Ive experienced this many times when with my Moroccan connections and would agree that by comparison in the western world many of these places we wouldnt go into as we would think theyre either 'cheap and nasty', unclean, or lots of men or people staring at you as if something is wrong - but its none of these....take my word for it and go with the flow and enjoy travelling and living with inside knowledge!!

The general eat out is a sandwich - what we would call a bagette with meat and salad stuffed into it - but thats what they are called in most parts around Morocco and between the bread and the ingredients everything about them is more delicious than if you ate the same back home believe me!

Brochettes - ie grilled cubes of meat: beef, mutton or even liver or kidneys is a choice, or kefta which is fried mince meat, with salad added - you can actually think up anything and ask for it - a can of tuna, sardines, chicken - see what you feel like and what is in stock - add salad and theyll put a bit of mayonnaise on top and throw some frites/chips on and wrap it up in paper for you....voila delicious and can cost as low as 20 dirham ie £1.50/2 euro!

Either sit down - a waiter will come along and wipe your table but you probably have to get the sandwich yourself - but not always - he will ask if you want something to drink - coca cola, sprite, pommes orange (is fanta), citron is lemon

We ate at this place last month in March in some sunshine - wind was a little cool but it was nice and off we went to see the next on the agenda!

• Laerke's Profile Photo

Dar Beida Restaurant: Dont miss this atmosphere, food and show!

by Laerke Written Jul 30, 2004

Waiting for the tagines...

I loved the place and the music even more
    It has it all!
    Great moroccan atmosphere, made by the dim light from the morrocan lamps hanging from the scarf decorated ceiling.
    Then there is the liveband, which i loved spiced up with additional singers and a bellydancer.
    The entire furniture with the low round table and cushion chairs does it even coazier.
    Its not even expensive!

Favorite Dish: Couscous with 7 vegetables and the complimentary olives served with bread.

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Restaurant Le Tonkin: Oriental and European cuisine.

by Bennytheball Written Jun 2, 2013

I stumbled on this oriental eaterie, quite by accident, on a walkabout close to my regular diner, which had let me down badly with a mediocre steak, so I was on the prowl for something better...

Walking up the tree-lined pedestrian street Rue Prince Moulay Abdallah, I noticed this Vietnamese restaurant, read the displayed menu at street level and decided to give it a try, simply because it served Chinese curry, one of my favourites.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant was spacious and quiet, in early evening, with only one other diner, the furnishings were very oriental and elegant and immediately made me feel comfortable. The waiter service was prompt and polite, I ordered beef curry with special fried rice ( included chicken, ham, and prawns) and two bottles of Heinekin beer, which came to a total of Dh185, I paid the waiter Dh200 and told him to keep the change, for which he was most pleased.

The only thing I can say about the meal is that it was one of the best dinners I've had in Morocco for many years, and will be my default return choice next year.

Instant Answers: Casablanca

Comments

Casablanca Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Casablanca restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Casablanca sightseeing.