Local Taxis, Casablanca

Know about this? Rate It!

• "Petit" is small!
    by ellyse
    Easily recognisable sign on top of taxi
    Back seat view
  • matjung's Profile Photo

Taxi from Airport to City was 250 Dirham

by matjung Written May 26, 2012

On Saturday evening I had to go from the Airport to the City.
    As I did not want to wait for the next train, I took a taxi
    The fare to my hotel was 250 Dirham.
    I thought thats too expensive, I think some guidlines at the airport stated 200 Dirham.
    But the driver refused to drive for this money.
    He fist wanted 300, my offer was 250.

When we arrived at the hotel, I paid 300 - because I did not have smaller denominations.
    Then it took another debate to get 50 dirham back from him.

• Business Travel

• AdamIrelsnd's Profile Photo

Petite Taxis

by AdamIrelsnd Written Jul 29, 2011

I hopped in a Petite taxi for a short journey to the beach the fare was 29Mad, i handed over 100Mad. He would only give me little change back. Even though we argued he still wouldn't hand over my change. I think if your not local, Handing over smaller notes to these guys could save you that hassle.

• ellyse's Profile Photo

Petit Taxis

by ellyse Updated Apr 5, 2010

Petit Taxi is one of the key ways of getting around Casablanca. These can take up to 3 (or 4?) passengers. You can hail them from just about anywhere, and don't be surprised if your taxi stops for another passenger enroute (unless the vehicle is already full), neither be surprised if there're already passenger(s) inside a Petit Taxi which stops in front of you to ask where you're going. There's a meter, fares are calculated separately for each passenger but I'm not really sure how it works if the meter is already running when you board. I prefer to ask my hotel for an estimate of the fare, and also ask the driver roughly how much it would cost for where I'm going to.
    Outside Caaa Voyageurs train station, a Petit Taxi took me to Hassan II mosque for 25 MAD -- but on the way back it was only 14 MAD. On the TripAdvisor forum I read that it should be about 15 MAD each way in daytime, but if you take a taxi near the train station it's usually about 25-30 MAD, they rip tourists off. So, I guess I was?
    Try to walk further away from Casa Voyageurs train station in order to catch your Petit Taxi.
    A little tip which might be helpful for travellers trying to get a Petit Taxi to Hasssan II Mosque... in French the mosque is called "Mosquee Hassan Deux", with a accent on the 2nd last letter of "Mosquee". The approximate pronunciation, if you don't speak French, is "Moss-kay Hassan Duh".
    Also, note that Petit Taxis cannot go to Casablanca airport, apparently because it's too far.

• iaint's Profile Photo

grand taxis

by iaint Updated Dec 23, 2009

I had a difficult time on arrival - see other transport tips. I'd planned on taking the train into the city expecting my 6pm ish arrival would be during the rush hour.

Turned out it was 7pm by the time I was out of the airport - definitely rush hour. Anyway, I was too tired and grumpy to face the train, so I jumped in the first grand taxi I saw. Cost 300DH to my hotel - Novotel right by the docks.

Being Morocco, within 5 minutes I was the driver's bosom buddy...to the point where I was half expecting the invitation to his home for tea (and perhaps to inspect his daughters). Great guy - would have driven me everywhere I was going for a whole week - all "cheap price".

Maybe I should pretend I don't speak French, or English...

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Grand Taxi

by keeweechic Written Jan 11, 2009

These are old Mercedes which will take more than the Petit taxis and therefore should only be used in this instance as they are more expensive. They are really more for longer journeys such as between cities. Grand Taxis do not have metres and the cost of the trip should be negotiated beforehand. This will be based on the distance and time it will take.

• Architecture

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Petit Taxi

by keeweechic Written Jan 11, 2009

Petit Taxis are small Fiats which travel around the city and are fairly cheap. They will take up to 3 passengers but this also includes a baby. They can only travel within the city limits. Most have metres and you should make sure they are switched on. At night a 50% surcharge is added.

• Architecture

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Taxi petit

by DunaKal Written Sep 24, 2007

Petit Taxi

These taxies have meter and they are cheap,but do not ever take a taxi that is parked infront of the hotel,the driver will tell you that the meter is not working and he tells you the price out of the blue,hoping that you will fall for his trick.
    leave the taxi and pick one that is roaming the streets.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Taxi!

by uglyscot Updated Mar 10, 2007

a red Petit Taxi

From the airport a taxi is the usual method of getting to the town by the first-time visitor. There are always touts , and at the taxi stand there is a sign giving the rates to various destinations. The rate given into Casablanca was 230DH , but we were unable to get any driver to take us for less than 250DH.
    My husband wanted to go sightseeing as soon as we arrived since our stay in Casablanca was to be limited, and thought of finding a taxi for the duration; but I insisted we walk. This would be the ideal way of seeing the town were it not for the rain !
    When we went to visit Hassan II mosque we were advised that it was a long way, and so we took [thanks VT members] a Petit Taxi. These are small cars with meters that buzz around the town and cost a fraction of the price of a large taxi. The trip to Hassan II mosque cost us 10DH including tip.
    When it came to going to the railway station with our luggage we were 5DH.
    So, avoid the large taxis, and support the Petit Taxi.

• LysDor's Profile Photo

In the city center the best...

by LysDor Written Sep 12, 2002

In the city center the best way is to walk. So take comfortable shoes with you.

If you don't feel like walking take a *PETIT TAXI* (Small taxi: RED in CASA, BLUE in RABAT). Just hail and jump in.

As soon as you tell your destination the driver will start the meter at 1.40DHS. Every 100m count 0.20DHS. After 8 pm there is a 50% addition.

During rush hours they might take an additional person in the front seat - BUT each time they'll start the meter at 1.40DHS!

JUST REMEMBER: DON'T BARGAIN HERE. If the driver doesn't start the meter - DON'T PAY!

I did not have any problems - they are very reliable!

FROM THE AIRPORT *Mohammed V* (30KM from city center / takes 30min) the taxi fee is 200DHS BUT you have to bargain it first - don't pay 250DHS or more!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

There are basically two types...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

There are basically two types of cabs available here in Casablanca i.e. the 'petit taxi', which is VERY cheap and takes a maximum of three people.

These cabs have a bright, distinctive color for each town: (a) Red in Casablanca and (b) Blue in Rabat etc.

They only drive in town and do not cover longer journeys. If you are taking one of these cabs, please DO settle the price FIRST before boarding if they have no meter.

The 'grand taxi' is white and will take a maximum of six people. These will take you to the outer suburbs and even to the other parts of town. Please, PLEASE fix the price FIRST before beginning your journey.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Taxi

by Sambawalk Written Jul 30, 2006

The taxi is metered cheap and you can get around. From the city centre to the Casa - voyageurs station is about DH9.

Instant Answers: Casablanca

Comments

Other Transportation in Casablanca