Casablanca Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Casablanca

• bodecia's Profile Photo

Beware of the traffic

by bodecia Written Dec 21, 2005

There are no traffic lights for pedestrians at Casa, and you take a risk every time you cross the street. Drivers will not stop or slow down for you. Try to use zebra crossings as much as possible. If not - stick very close to the locals, or pray.

• Study Abroad

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

A parking guard or a rude cheat?

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 4, 2005

VIEW FROM MY HOTEL BALCONY

I had the only one unpleasant event in contacts with Morocan "parking guards" just in Casablanca.
    I parked a car in front of my hotel in a short-time parking zone (from 8am to 6pm as I remember well). I was obliged to go to parking ticket vendor machine to buy a new ticket every 2 hours haha. In real my hotel staff did it.

I was very surprised when after night in the morning the older Arab man asked me to pay for the parking. I said I already paid using the parking ticket vendor machines. He got really ungry, tried to explain me that I didn't pay for night time and ordered me to pay because he had looked at my car all the night, hmm.. I didn't believe in it. When I wanted to drive away he standed in the middle of the street in front of my car not to allow me to drive away.
    Hmm... fortunatelly there were other cars behind me, the drivers started to horn and a few ones got off the cars and told sth (rather not pleasant, I suppose) to my "parking guard", finally he cried sth (rather nothing pleasant) and... allowed me to drive away.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Beggars and poverty

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 4, 2005

FOR VERY LOW BUDGET VISITORS :-)

I saw a few beggars and people sleeping on the streets even in the center/downtown in the midday.
    As soon as I step out of the impressive centre of town, dark clouds cover the realities of people here. Extreme poverty and prostitution only to be matched by Tangier was what I found without even looking for it. In my opinion no other place in the country displayed bigger differences between the haves and the have-nots.

I could see a local guy sleeping on a bench in beautiful (many palm trees) Boulevard Houphouet Boigny - just east of Ancienne (ancient) medina. Better be respectful for his sleep, do not awake him.
    Go this avenue to one of the biggest in Africa port built approx. 100 years ago - rather ugly industrial area in my opinion.
    Early in the morning fish was sold by auction there. In the evening you can enjoy fresh fish in the many restaurants doing business in this area.

• Hiking and Walking

• Alice-Kees's Profile Photo

The coastal road to the Hassan II Mosque

by Alice-Kees Updated Aug 4, 2004

Detail of the Hassan II Mosque facade

We experienced this road to be quite dangerous and not only after dark... There are some young agressive Moroccon criminal losers harassing backpackers and other tourists who walk the pedestrian side of the busy traffic road that leads from the Mosque to the centre. Some guy threatened us with a knife and later we heared of more people who have been threatened here.

• Morocco is not what i would...

by frenchlondon Written Aug 25, 2002

Morocco is not what i would called a really safe place. Although phycical violence against tourists is rare..you will get a lot of really annoying people following you, and this is really scary if you travel alone as i did.

When you take a 'petit taxi' always arrange a fare before the journey..and do avoid any political or religious conversation..

If you are a gay traveller, be extremely careful, homosexuality is a crime in morocco and you risk a 3 or 4 years sentence if the police ever find you you travel with your gay partner. Be really suspicious of the hotel staff. It has been known that they called the police when they suspected two guys to be a gay couple.

Straight couples must be also careful. Do not kiss in public places!!!! Someone would call the police,as i have witnessed on a beach in casablanca.

In the some cheap hotels, espceially because they are really traditional hotels,couples cannot sleep in the same room if they do not show a certificate of mariage..

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

CASABLANCA is a relatively...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

CASABLANCA is a relatively safe city to travel to. But in any case, it is always advisable to be cautious... because the potential for sexual harassment and intimidation is a reality around the world.

This is again strictly for the female traveler:

Be always on the alert. Do your networking and research before you leave. Find out as much as you can about the roles of both women and men in the places you plan to visit.

A woman alone may be considered fair game. So, do prepare yourself psychologically for any propositions, suggestive comments or catcalls. Then simply IGNORE them.

In some male-dominated cultures (esp. in Africa and the Middle East... and some parts of Asia), it's considered culturally incorrect for a woman to travel solo. For these and other potentially challenging destinations, you might want to team up with a companion. Two women traveling together might have an easier time, believe me.

In some cultures, making eye contact with a man is a sign that you want his company. Some women solve this problem by wearing dark glasses. For one, you'll look really cool in those dark glasses and secondly, you can stare back at the guy without him even realizing it. Ahem!

Be aware that you'll probably be openly stared... no, make it - gawked at, esp. if you're a good looking Caucasian/ Oriental lady. In countries where you look very different from everybody else, both men and women will make no attempt to hide their curiosity.
    :-)

Behave confidently AT ALL TIMES... even when your heart is fluttering like crazy - out of fear of the unknown etc. When you're out, try to look as if you know exactly where you're going and what you're doing, O.K.?

Take your cue from the local Moroccan women. As a general rule, if they don't sit in cafés alone, you shouldn't do so either. If they aren't wearing sleeveless dresses, neither should you. I noticed that around mid-afternoon, lots of Moroccan men will sit in cafes around the city and watch the world sail by them... or GAWK at you strolling pass them... whichever comes first. :-)

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER accept free car rides or hitch-hike. Ask the local hotels to recommend reputable cabs companies and, whenever possible, try to double up with someone you know when traveling by cab. In this world - NOTHING IS FOR FREE.

Crowded trains and buses can be perfect breeding grounds for antisocial behavior. Some men will use this opportunity to touch the female passengers standing close to them. If this happens to you, make a fuss.... and I mean, make a HUGE fuss about it. Point at the offender and chastise him openly in a loud voice. He'll probably wish he weren't born... and that the ground would swallow him up! hehe... However, to avoid these types of advances, consider choosing reserved seating if you can afford it. It will be money well spent.

O.K., now have a great trip!

• MProcher's Profile Photo

Well, Casa is the most...

by MProcher Written Aug 24, 2002

Well, Casa is the most problematic city in Morocco for crime. It has the highest urbanisation rate in Morocco what creates this problem. People come to Casa because the believe the city to be an Eldorado for jobs and careers. A large number of them finally ends up without job.

The problem are pickpockets, thiefs, but even robbers. Some of them don't take care whether they harm their victim or not.
    Please believe me, I am not telling stories of others. I have been there while working as a study tours operator and all I tell is own experience.
    I wasn't robbed myself but people who were with me. Criminals normally look for aged people, of course tourist are the wellcomed victims.

So please take care of yourself, your money and your passport while walking around, while shopping. Most problematic is the Medina of Casablanca.
    There are no problems at the mosque Hassan II. - as far as I know.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Don't forget your shoes

by solopes Updated Aug 30, 2012

Casablanca - Morocco

Morocco it's a Muslim country.

In doubt, take your shoes off, but don't forget them. And that applies not only in religious places, becoming a repetitive exercise. Here, we are at City Hall.

• Architecture

• xaver's Profile Photo

Traffic

by xaver Updated Jan 2, 2008

car

Crossing the streets could be a very hard activity as cars there really don't care much about people walking, I always followed the locals, sure more expert than me.

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Crime

by johnsakura Written Sep 17, 2004

casablanca morocco

I know some people already have beem robbed in the city during the night while they walk on the streets. this can happen everywhere i think. ust be careful.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Medina is a maze.

by colin_bramso Updated Jan 15, 2004

Narrow alleys, easy to get lost.

It's easy to lose your way in the medina, with lots of narrow dark alleyways. Girls, don't wander off on your own.

• venteeocho's Profile Photo

marocan people are very nice,...

by venteeocho Updated Aug 27, 2003

marocan people are very nice,
    BUT
    they don´t like pictures
    which is a shame cause
    they look great !

Instant Answers: Casablanca

Comments

Casablanca Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Casablanca warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Casablanca sightseeing.