Clothes, Marrakesh

by Cool-123
  • leigh767's Profile Photo

Respect local traditions

by leigh767 Updated Aug 16, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Morocco is a Muslim country, so for ladies: avoid sleeveless tops and overly revealing shorts. Just be conservative in general. Better safe than sorry (or stares)!

Cap/visor/sunglasses are recommended even in the winter months of December and January. tTe climate is dry so there're very, very few cloudy days and you may get more sunshine than you bargained for.

Sunblock is a good idea too, especially if you're taking the Sahara desert trips.

Photo Equipment: I brought a tripod and found it very useful for taking long exposure shots at night of Jmaa el Fna. The street scenes are fantastically energetic so this is a must-pack item for photography buffs!

• Firestar24's Profile Photo

Something for the ladies

by Firestar24 Written Jun 20, 2006

well covered :o)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: There are lots of women in Marrakech who walk around in shorts / mini skirts & vest tops, especially in the Ville Nouvelle part, and they never seem to have any trouble whatsoever... However, I prefered to cover up my shoulders, legs and hair while having a wander through the old medina and most women travellers we met felt the same.... Just something to bear in mind when your deciding whether or not to take your favourite cardi!!!

• Women's Travel

• Acirfa's Profile Photo

Clothing

by Acirfa Written May 16, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: This is an Islamic country and it is required that ladies cover up, if you don't you will feel conspicuous. Covered shoulders and long shorts or skirts and trousers.
    Some good walking shoes with grip if you intend to take a trip into the mountains

• Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

Loose clothing is best to beat the heat

by Abbeythekat Written Sep 13, 2012

Kashbah in Rabat

Luggage and bags: And empty suitcase. There are so many beautiful things to bring back with you. Make sure you have the room to do it.
    Seriously though: I use a wheeled backpack when i travel. I find the backpack helps me get onto trains and buses with ease and the wheels just make it easy when in hotels or airports

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Ladies: I have seen young and older women wearing the singlets, short shorts, mini skirts etc in Morocco. While I never saw anyone appear offended etc... I felt it make the locals (espeically the women feel uncomfortable). I choose to be respectful of local customs and wore, 3/4 trousers and tops that covered my shoulders. What I found worked really well was linen. Even in 40 degree heat it kept me cool and it dried really quick. Plus by wearing a long sleve shirt I didnt have to muck around with sunscreen. A good hat is a must as well.
    Some good walking sandels that will accomodate your feet swelling in the heat. I wore merrells and teva's and they were very comfortable. I took my running shoes, but wished I hadnt as I didnt need them and they just took up room in my bag.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Buy some packs of tissues.....as they are great to have on hand as loo paper as most toilets dont have paper in them.
    Hand santitiser is good to have on hand at all times to help ward off any unknown bugs
    Immodium: keep it with you. Not at the bottom of your bag. You never know when you may need it.
    Re-hydrating tablets. These are great to help keep you hydrated. I took one a day and it helped a lot.

Photo Equipment: A small camera that you can access really quick and that fits into your pocket easily is all you need.

• Women's Travel

• MsCynthia's Profile Photo

Bring your soccer jerseys

by MsCynthia Written Mar 28, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Everyone there is really really really into Soccer, especially Real Madrid and Barcelona. Wear your soccer jerseys, the locals and shop owners will quickly start up a chat and if you are lucky a better discount.

Miscellaneous: Bring sunscreen and bug repellant

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Packing List

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: PACK FOR HOT CLIMATE
    Morocco can be very hot, especially from March to October, so don't forget to bring some light clothes, T-Shirts and shorts.
    Bring some warm clothes too, if you are planning to go to the desert (it get's really cold at night), and some long trousers if you want to visit mosques and religious buildings.

Instant Answers: Marrakesh

Comments

Other What to Pack in Marrakesh