Cafés, Marrakesh

by CDM7
  • antistar's Profile Photo

Cafe de France: Historic Cafe with Great Views

by antistar Written Jan 12, 2014

The cafe first rose to fame in Peter Mayne's A Year in Marrakech. The writer spent many afternoons sitting in the cafe watching the festivities in the Djemaa el Fna, It was the focus of his early days in the city. It later became a popular place for tourists, offering some of the best views in the city, especially at sunset as the square changes into one big open air restaurant. The food, which I didn't eat, is apparently terrible. Your best bet is to go up there at least an hour before sunset and drink lots of mint tea.

Cafe de France, Marrakech

• antistar's Profile Photo

La Mamounia: Luxury Lunch

by antistar Written Jan 12, 2014

Fancy a 25 euro sandwich? Well it does come with a small serving of fries.

Lunch at the Mamounia hotel is not the cheapest eat you'll find in Morocco, but it is in an exclusive, historic and beautiful location. Winston Churchill once stayed at this hotel, and President Putin's daughter got married here in 2013. It's a place for the rich and famous, those who don't care about the price of a sandwich, or those who will expense it.

As it was Christmas day, and because it was so pleasant to sit inside the hotel, we paid out about 50 euros for a sandwich, fries, mint tea, freshly squeezed orange juice and a fruit tart. They did bring my son a plate of strawberries fresh from their own gardens, and there were free nuts too, but it's still hard to justify the cost. The drinks were quite reasonably priced, though, so sitting down for a mint tea would probably be the best option if you aren't loaded. Plus the food took a very, very long time for what amounted to toasted sliced bread with cheese.

Just a note: it's totally fine to enter the hotel even if you aren't resident there. They will probably assume you are staying there when they bring you the bill and ask for your room number, but just give them cash or credit card instead.

Free strawberries at the Mamounia

• CDM7's Profile Photo

Cafe Toubkal: Good Moroccan menu

by CDM7 Written Nov 30, 2013

If you want good food at a cheap price then this is where to come.Very popular with the locals and in a good position overlooking Jamaa el Fna square,with the best views on the top floor.Service was good,food likewise.Had lunch here on two occasions and both times very satisfied.

2x Lamb Tagines,bread,1 fresh orange,1 tea = 72 dirhams (about £5)
    You can't get better value than that!

Outside tables at cafe View from first floor of cafe Lamb Tagine

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Patisserie Des Princes: Great sweetss and tea!

by flynboxes Written Nov 17, 2012

After dinner on our second night we needed some sweets and found this place which has a great cafe in back where families can sit down and enjoy themselves if you decide to eat here as we did.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate cake was great.

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

LE CHARLOT: PEOPLE WATCHING

by alyf1961 Updated Jan 31, 2010

Le Charlot was a lovely cafe/restaurant on Mohammed V Avenue. We had a latte whilst people watching. Prices are very cheap for food and drink in Marrakech and the price of a latte here was about £1.
    This cafe has only been recently opened and the decor is based on Charlie Chaplin.

Favorite Dish: The cakes and desserts looked lovely but we had just had lunch.

LE CHARLOT

Majorelle Gardens café: Pretty setting for lunch

by toonsarah Written Nov 20, 2009

In the heart of the Majorelle Gardens is this charming café, with a courtyard shaded by trees and several inside rooms decorated in traditional Moroccan style. The food is not the cheapest in the city, but the quality is good and the pretty setting makes it well worth the little extra.

Favorite Dish: The menu includes both light and more substantial dishes. We opted for the former – I had a delicious quiche made with spinach and smoked trout, while Chris chose a tuna melt Panini. The café specialises in a variety of fresh juices and the mint, pineapple and ginger one I chose was excellent and very refreshing on a hot day. With Chris’s sparkling mineral water and a coffee afterwards for me, we paid 295 dirhams (about £23.50).
    Of course on top of this you have to pay the 30 dirhams entry to the gardens, but they are so beautiful that they should be high on any must-see list in any case!

Ginger, mint and pineapple smoothie Smoked trout quiche Chris at lunch in the Majorelle Gardens cafe

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Café Glaciers: Best view of the action?

by toonsarah Written Nov 20, 2009

With an enviable situation overlooking the Djamaa el Fna, this café offers a relatively peaceful vantage point from which to watch all the action. We found ourselves here on several occasion. The first was on our first morning (pre broken foot) when we climbed the long dark staircase to emerge on the large roof terrace, the so-called “Grand Balcon”. Several of the cafes surrounding the square have these, but this is one of the most popular. It’s a great spot for photos, especially if you have a decent zoom lens, as you can catch unawares all the hawkers, water-sellers, snake charmers and others who would normally extract a tip for any photos taken. But you pay for your photos in any case, as a cold drink purchased up here will cost far more than elsewhere – we paid 40 dirhams for a Coke and a Fanta. But worth it in my opinion!

After my fall the climb to the roof terrace became impossible, but the large one at ground level (well, up a couple of steep steps) proved to offer almost as good a view, and we came here several more times. Usually this was just for a coffee or mint tea, but on the last evening, after a meal in the night market, we stopped off here for ice cream. We each had three flavours, costing 30 dirhams, and particularly liked the pineapple and the nougat flavours.

View from the Caf�� Glaciers

Friendly service: Café Argana

by toonsarah Written Nov 20, 2009

This was another lunch-time choice, and a place where we particularly appreciated the friendly service. They usually only serve drinks and pastries on the ground floor terrace – for a meal of any description you need to go upstairs to the roof terrace or first floor dining area. But this was just a couple of days after my accident and I didn’t feel up to tackling the stairs, so the waiter kindly fetched a menu from upstairs and served us a lunch there on the ground floor terrace.

We both had an omelette – cheese for me and mushroom for Chris. They were nicely cooked (i.e. not too much) and generously filled. We then ordered a pot of mint tea and what appeared to be the specialities of the place, a small plate of assorted Moroccan pastries – 7 for 30 dirhams. These were delicious and not as sweet as I had imagined they might be.

Moroccan pastries

Cafe Les Negociants: French style pavement cafe

by suvanki Updated Apr 25, 2009

Gueliz is in Ville Nouvelle, the French Quarter.
    There are many pavement cafes, ice cream parlours, patisseries.

I quite liked this cafe, to sit in the comfy wicker seats,and watch the world go by, as I planned my day.

The clientele was a mix of tourists, holidaying Moroccans, and locals in traditional dress or westernised attire.

Open 0600 - 23.30hrs daily.

On my 2nd visit to M'kesh, I used this cafe quite a bit as my hotel was nearby. It was still very popular. This time though I was amused to find one of the surliest waiters ever- he looked a bit like Rene from the old TV comedy Allo Allo, in fact it was like watching a comedy as he huffed and puffed, tutted and clicked his tongue at every inconvenience, trying to avoid catching anyones eye who might want to order and sitting down in a chair at every opportunity while the other waiters ran around. (He was like this with everyone, locals included)
    I'd spotted a few tables with clear green drinks, but didn't know what it was. I'd asked "Rene" for a menu - his eyes nearly shot out of his head as he shrieked"menu???" at me, before shuffling off to find one, shaking his head and tutting.

I couldn't find anything that might have been the green drink, so I ordered a cafe glace (11dh), to his disdain. Looking in my purse, I only had a 100dh note, which nearly reduced me to a fit of giggles imagining his response.

I'm afraid I waited to make sure that he had to come over to take my money, rather than call one of the others. (people at neighbouring tables had also apparently noticed his dismeanour) It was worth it for the charade of his reaction, when he eventually returned and slammed down my change, he turned on his heel (the quickest I'd seen him move) and fled to slump in a chair. I didn't even get a chance to hand him his tip!(I left a larger tip than normal on the table, for this memorable encounter)

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a mint tea, fresh orange juice and a Latte on my visits.

This is an ideal spot for people watching, it's on the corner of Ave Mohammed V, so plenty going on around.

There are hawkers passing through with DVDs, tissues, sunglasses, shirts, rugs etc, but they're approaching the locals as well, not just tourists, so just shake your head and smile, or say Non Merci if You don't want to buy.

I visited at various times of the day and late evening.

Somewhere to sit and linger, not ideal if You're in a hurry.

Cafe Les Negociants, Gueliz

• Patisserie des Princes: Cakes and coffee at Patisserie des Princes

by Renate999 Updated Apr 17, 2009

This big shop sells biscuits, cake and icecream in the front.
    Check out all the lovely cakes on offer, and decide which one you want. Then, elbow your way through the crowd to the quite back of the shop and sit down in the Salon de The. (There is more seating upstairs!) Order your drink and cake, or have an icecream, and relax.
    My favourite time for a visit is in the evening after dinner. Skip dessert at the restaurant and come here! Both the shop and salon are nice and quiet then and service is super-fast.
    Prices are great considering the good quality of the food: cakes for 15 - 20 dh, coffee for 6 - 10 dh. They serve moroccan coffee or Illy espresso. Icecream sorbets for around 30 dh.

Favorite Dish: A noss-noss (half coffee, half hot milk) with a piece of cake - any of the gateaux!

Patisserie des Princes

• li-anne's Profile Photo

Cafe des Epices: Hot cafe near the souks!

by li-anne Written Feb 16, 2009

This little gem is located at the Place Rahba Lakdima, at the center of the souks. The place is very european, with a perfect view on the square, where daily life goes on as usual. Enjoy a mint tea or fresh orange juice by watching the life on the square.
    This place is runned by enthousiast young people.
    The menu is limited and only for lunch.
    There's no dinner served.

The atmosphere is good and very relaxed.

Favorite Dish: The tuna sandwich with a fresh orange juice. This place looks very good, and well equiped to serve this delicious food.
    They also had something to eat for our kids, which are not such adventurous eaters.
    Very well recommended for lunch or a drink.

cafe des epices view from the rooftop terrace the menu have a morroccan mint tea! front view Cafe des Epices

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Café N’Zaha

by keeweechic Written Jan 29, 2009

Nestled in amongst other cafe’s and restaurants is the Cafe N’Zaha. Both it and the Toubkal next to it serve a similar breakfast of breads, croissants, pancakes, tea/coffee and orange juice for a reasonable price.

• Architecture

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Les Terraces de l’Alhambra

by keeweechic Written Jan 27, 2009

Another restaurant in Jamma El Fna Square is the Les Terraces de l’Alhambra. The upstairs terrace is a great place to sit and watch the goings on in the square and even around the city. Despite being run by French owners, the menu has a Italian influence, offering pastas, pizza and salads. On the ground floor you can buy tea and coffee along with ice cream. The interior of the restaurant is airconditioned.

• Architecture

Cafés: Cafe Maure - Menara Gardens

by suvanki Updated Jan 23, 2009

After wandering around the pool area of the Menara Gardens, , I spotted a sign for a cafe.

Down some steps, below 'the bleachers' is this pleasant cafe, with a fountain. A good spot for relaxing over a drink or snack. It was nearly lunch time, but I wasn't hungry, so just had (another) pot of mint tea.

Popular with groups of teenagers (all intent on using their mobile phones, or eyeing each other up!)

Meals are served each evening prior to the 'Al Menara Reflets & Marveilles' entertainment.

There are a few shops here too, but they were closed when I visited.

Open daily 0900 -2300hrs

Favorite Dish: As usual, I enjoyed a pot of mint tea! while people watching.
    The waiters wore jellabahs and babouches, the girls serving behind the counter were in traditional clothing too.

Cafe, Menara Gardens

Koutoubia Cafe: Pleasant place to stop for a cooling drink

by suvanki Updated Jan 23, 2009

Situated opposite the Koutoubia Mosque - hence its' name!

Quite a pleasant cafe, with comfy wicker/rattan chairs and tables.

I stopped by for my mint tea fix, after a morning wandering around the nearby Cyber park, then the Ensemble Artisan.

I'm not sure if any food is served here, I didn't see anyone eating. The cafe is very popular with tourists who appeared to all be relaxing over a cooling drink - which appeared to all be non alcoholic.

It's a good place for people spotting, as this is one of Marrakeshes busiest areas.
    I was here on Friday mid day, as the call to prayer reverberated all around. Afterwards, hundreds of men streamed out of the Koutoubia Mosque, rushing back to their work etc.

The only downside is that the fumes from the continual stream of traffic can sometimes be a problem.

Favorite Dish: I had a pot of mint tea - Very refreshing!

Koutoubia Cafe, Marrakesh