Street Vendors, Marrakesh

4.5 out of 5 stars 52 Reviews

• jo-allyn's Profile Photo

table 42 jemaa el fna square: The best shrimp and eggplant

by jo-allyn Written May 1, 2004

this was our favorite table in the greatest outdoor picnic of all, jemaa el fna square. With the sound of trance drumming, smoke rising from multitudes of food tables, the sky above and the sun setting on marrakech, this was a most unique and delicious experience.
    The servers here was infectious with their enthusiasm. There is a great competition in the square between all the tables, to attrack "eaters" The food has to be delicious and the food providers have to be entertainers. Table 42 was the best at both!

Favorite Dish: the crispy shrimp and delicious grilled eggplant

table 42

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Street Vendors: More about Jemaa-al-Fnaa dining

by travelmad478 Written Jan 11, 2004

It seemed like a good idea to look around for the stalls occupied with a lot of elderly Moroccan men. I figured these guys would know who had the best food. That strategy worked pretty well.

Nearly all of Jemaa-al-Fnaa's food stalls have little stools to sit at. You sit in a row with other diners, pointing at what you want to eat. Watch out that you don't get loaded up with food you didn't ask for--although even if you do, it won't cost you too much. You pay at the end--no tips necessary. In general, the prices are extremely low. I ate fried fish, grilled vegetables, kebabs, lentil soup, and tea (at four different stalls) for under USD 8.

Here's our intrepid dining team awaiting our first course!

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Street Vendors: Dinner at Jemaa al-Fnaa Square--do not miss this!

by travelmad478 Written Jan 11, 2004

Eating at the square is an absolute must. Just walk into the center and start looking around--there are dozens of stalls, some serving just one or two dishes and some that appear to be complete restaurants with every conceivable food on display. Wandering around to pick your first stop, you'll get swarmed by stall owners trying to convince you that their food is the one you want--but take your time to decide! There are kebab stalls, fish stalls (that's what we chose first--try a piece!), tea stalls, sweet stalls, lentil soup and bean stew stalls, and my favorite: snail stalls. (I didn't try those, but if you want to, you've got about eight to choose from.) We stopped at about five different places and ate fantastic fried fish with grilled vegetables at the one pictured here. The food was excellent, very cheap, and safe. Not one of our party had a moment's stomach trouble.

• diageva's Profile Photo

Street Vendors: Orange juice and dry fruits stalls

by diageva Written Jan 10, 2004

All during the day you will find many orange and dry fruits stalls at Place Djemma F'na. The orange juice is wonderful BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :
    DO NOT ASK FOR AN ORANGE JUICE ...

ASK FOR AN ORANGE JUICE "WITHOUT WATER", they will make you the juice at the moment and ask you to see that he is not adding any water ... THAT IS HOW YOU CAN HAVE ORANGE JUICE ...

I did have many wonderful orange juice, but I didn't said anything about water ... and the second day I notice an ice at may juice ... THE CONSECUENCE WHERE ... 14 HOURS AT THE WC ... having very bad moments ...

When I was recovered I asked again for an orange juice without water and ... I didn't get ill anymore ... SO PLEASE .... !!!!!

SirRichard told me ... but I forgot and that made me get ill for a hole day

Favorite Dish: Orange juice (without water) ... 2,5 dirham (= 0.25 euros)

Orange stalls

• diageva's Profile Photo

Street Vendors: Place Djemma F'na

by diageva Written Jan 10, 2004

In winter is over four in the afternoon when you can begin to see big coloums of smoke comming from Place Djemma F'na. Many food stall begin to serve food just behind the orange juice and dry fruits stalls that you can see all over the day. There you can see fried fish, meat, snails, vegetables ... you only have to look around and choose what it desires to you to eat that night. The stalls are not crowed so ... you will find it a very wonderful and unforgetable night.

Food stalls at Place Djemma F'na

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Stand nr 12: The most friendly of the square

by ptitetoile Updated Dec 12, 2003

To enjoy really the atmosphere of Djamaa El Fna square, you have to stop at a stand at least to eat one little thing! There are a lot of these "climatised restaurant" and they all have numbers to recognize them. It is difficult to choose as the food is quite the same everywhere, so the best is to find one that gives you the most favors! Well, that is what happened with us! I don't know if it was because I put kohl on my eyes this evening, but at the nr12, they said that I could eat there for free! So my friends and I stopted there and we had a wonderful evening with Adil (the chief of the stand) and his crew! The food was delicious! We were really spoiled :-) As soon as our glas of tea was empty, they wanted to fill it again and again and again...

Favorite Dish: The french fries are delicous... not as good as the best ones (Chez Antoine) in Brussels but though, we could not resist to come again another evening to eat them!

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

Number 12, Djema El Fna (Adil & co): Good food and a lot of fun on Djema El Fna

by Bigjones Updated Dec 8, 2003

Djema El Fna is the place to find very cheap and delicious meals in the evening in an inimitable atmosphere. That's amazing to see how they try to attract clients !! We chose the number 12 and had such a fun evening that we came back another day. Believe me, they serve the best fries (and I'm a expert !! ;-)
    They also serve all kinds of meat, fish and vegetable. It's good and fresh (we were not sick afterwards ;-). Tea is generally for the "house". For 25 Dh (2,5 USD), you can already eat a lot !

N�� 12

• mariquita's Profile Photo

Food Stalls

by mariquita Written Jul 6, 2003

As the sun sets, the main square is filled with food stalls. You better not try that food, because your stomach is not rfeady for it.

Do not approach either, because some stalls produce a lot of smoke and your clothes will stink.

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Various: Try the stalls in the main square

by deeper_blue Updated Dec 26, 2002

If you have an iron stomach try the stalls in the main square. Opposite the fruit juice sellers (which are very good and cheap) you'll find a plethora of cooked vegetables with bread, I remember being served peppers, aubergines, rice, cous-cous....

• Venturingnow's Profile Photo

Don't miss the main square's nightly food stalls

by Venturingnow Written Oct 19, 2002

Just walk into the main square during the evening and the entire place will be alive with food stalls and shows. Kids boxing, snake charmers, you name it, there here. Just walk around and find a bench, sit down, and order from whatever is on showcase. The best choice are kababs and couscous.

Escaping the heat in a roadside cafe

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

EAT AT THE STALLSAfter sunset...

by SirRichard Updated Aug 25, 2002

EAT AT THE STALLS
    After sunset (19:00) the Djema ekl Fnaa Square gets full of street stalls where you can eat a great variety of local food. There is some delicious food being served there, and terribly cheap, but I must admit there are stalls where I wouldn't seat too happily!

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Stand #15 in the Djemaa el-Fna...

by brewjohnson Written Aug 24, 2002

Stand #15 in the Djemaa el-Fna Square (I don't know how often the numbers change, but 15 was great the night we were there)
    There are many food stands to choose from in the Square. It might be safer to ask around before actually choosing one (some are not very sanitary, but the locals usually know the spots). You sit in the open air of the square and enjoy unbelievable traditional Moroccan food. Be careful, this is definitely a spot where you can over-eat.

Favorite Dish: Cous Cous, chicken, and just about anything else they have

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Eat in the main Square of the Medina

by stevemt Written Oct 19, 2011

Fantastic food, all fresh, great prices and so much to choose from

Favorite Dish: The snails were great as well as the seafood

Snail Stall

• tarced's Profile Photo

Djemaa El Fna Square Vendor: Fresh Squeezed OJ

by tarced Written Mar 1, 2009

We love a fresh-squeezed OJ and for only 10 dirham we have to take advantage! Very refreshing and the vendors were great with our kids!

Mmmm Good!

• bobbier's Profile Photo

No 97 Djema El Fna: best chat line in Marrakech

by bobbier Written Jan 28, 2009

LOcal Moroccan food served in open air in main square, best chat line Marks and Spencer's quality at Primark prices! good cheap food served with fun and laughter.

Favorite Dish: Fried mixed Fish, Mixed Kebabs