Local Products, Marrakesh

Know about this? Rate It!

• Local Products
    by cachaseiro

Local Products: Argan Oil

by tini58de Updated Feb 10, 2006

Aran Oil

What to buy: Before I went to Marrakesh I had never ever even heard of Argan oil, but I came back with 4 bottles of it in my suitcase.

The Argan tree grows only in Morocco and only near Marrakesh and Essaouira. It cannot be cultivated! So it is a very unique and rare tree which does not have fruits regularly. But if it does, they make the most wonderful oil out of it. This oil has a nutty taste to it and has more vitamins and healthy oleins in it than any other oil!

People use it as well for cooking purposes (salads for instance, I believe heating it up is not advisable), as well as for medical treatments and cosmetic purposes.

What to pay: Argan oil is VERY expensive (for the above reasons). In the suqs they will sell it for about 120 DH (= 12 Euro) for a 250 ml bottle, but thanks to VT friend Jean Louis (JLBG) I found Argan oil for 45 DH/250 ml (= 4,50 ?) in the supermarket Marjane in the outskirts of Marrakesh.

Local Products: Cosmetics

by tini58de Updated Feb 1, 2006

Cosmetics shop in the suq of Marrakesh

What to buy: Both Henna and Argan oil products are a nice souvenir from Morocco!

We bought some Henna and a moisturizing creme with Argan oil in this lovely small cosmetics place in the suqs of Marrakesh. He also had other things like perfumes, soaps, Argan oil (filled in old plastic bottles) - it was such a joy to have a look around!

What to pay: We paid 5 DH for the Henna and 20 DH for the creme. The price seemed so reasonable that we did not even bargain!

Local Products: Carpets

In the suqs of Marrakesh

What to buy: Actually there is not so much specific information that I can give you here. We did see lots of carpets in the suqs and we were taken to a carpet cooperative to have a little information and shopping opportunity. It was quite interesting to see the different types of materials (wool, silk, camel wool etc), patterns and colors, but non of us bought anything.

If you are interested in buying a carpet, you might want to make sure you get a proper receipt and maybe also a tax refund!

Local Products: Spices

spices!!!!!!!!!

What to buy: This was my absolute favourite shopping item! I love the smells and taste of those oriental spices, so we bought quite a few of them (which made my back smell beautifully!!)

What I particularly like is the mixtures - and in Morocco they have a 35 spices mix (at one place we even got a 45 spices mix!!!) for just about everything you cook and a 4 spices mix which is usually used when cooking fish.

Since each "melange" (= mix) is slightly different, it might be a good idea to buy those mixtures at different places.

For a warning, please have a look at my tourist trap tips!

What to pay: The mixes are much more expensive than the pure spices.

At a supermarket we paid between 13 and 15 DH for 100 grams, at the souk they initially wanted 40 and 60 DH for about the same spices, but we bargained and got the spices for 15 and 25 DH (and a grouchy face....)

• zrim's Profile Photo

Local Products: Bargaining in the Souqs

by zrim Written Oct 16, 2005

one of these beautiful bowls is now on display in

What to buy: I'm not normally a big shopper. While on vacation the usual extent of my shopping is window browsing. I don't go into many shops since I don't like to get loaded down with knick-nacks and usually I'd much rather sit at a cafe with a beer and watch the people go by.

However, Marrakesh is a distinct exception to rule in this regard. First of all, alcohol is not readily available in Morocco. You can get your cocktails in the nicer hotels, but not at the streetside cafes. Second, shopping is really more of a sport in Morocco. Even if you do not wish to engage in bartering on your own, it is fun to watch a travel companion try their hand at the game.

In Marrakesh Becky and I only bought a brightly colored bowl, probably on eof the ones pictured here. We had blown our shopping money up in Fes at the rug markets. But we did spend a few happy hours watching the crafty shopkeepers lighten the wallets of others in our group.

For other photos of the fabulous souqs, please look at my travelogue.

• tord's Profile Photo

Everywhere: Magical carpet rides

by tord Written May 21, 2005

Carpets R Us

What to buy: Carpets are everywhere and if you have the time to spend negotiating you may get what you believe to be a bargain. It will certainly be cheaper than buying the same carpet in the UK.

What to pay: You'll pay with your heart, not your head.

Local Products: Souqs of Marrakesh

by johnsakura Written May 30, 2004

morocco marrakesh

Starting from the Jma el Fna, there are two major lanes going north. Coming from the Jma, you have the Rue Mouassin on your left, and the Rue Souq Smarine on your right. Along these you will find many touristic shops and boutiques, most of them will be specialized in either carpets, leather, silver or antiques. These are just resellers. you can get a lower price at the place some things are made.

Local Products: Baskets

by johnsakura Written May 30, 2004

marrakesh morocco

You will find lots of places selling these kind of baskets. Usualy made by women, they usually also sell them walking by the streets moving place to place.

What to buy: baskets. they need to be put inside water no to dry out and break.

Local Products: Carpets

by johnsakura Updated May 30, 2004

marrakesh morocco

Marrakesh is the perfect place for shopping altough much smaller cities sometimes have smaller prices also. It really depends actually.
    Don't buy anything at the first price. When anyone ask for 1000 you say 500. It's all about business. Also a nice tip is that they always ask for your origin country to rise the price. Americans, british, new zealands, canadian and australiana dn japanese also are ask sometimes 3 times more or double the price that a normal spanish italian or portuguese. It makes sense for their head actually, they do know money differencies between western countries...

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Souks: Chech

by ptitetoile Updated Mar 12, 2004

What to buy: Before going to the desert, don't forget your "chech"! It protects you from the sun but also from the cold, the wind and the sand!!! You can find them in every colors in a lot of souks. Blue is more the colors of the berber nomads... But I don't wear a lot of blue things, so I bought a red one and a green one !
    Don't hesitate to ask the salesman to show you how to put it on the head... there a so many ways to do it!

What to pay: It should be around 20 DH.

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Souks: Tajine

by ptitetoile Written Dec 12, 2003

You can buy a tajine in the souks. The souks are special on a way that you have to bargain there as much as you can!!!!

What to buy: If you like cooking, a tagine is a very useful "souvenir" (even if it is a bit heavy)!!!!
    There are also nice little ones to put salt and peper (less heavier and also very useful)

What to pay: Again, you have to bargain as much as you can!!!! (see local customs). For a basic tajine like on the picture, the normal price is about 30-40 DH... for a nicer one with decoration, my friend Bridget succeed to negotiate a price of 80 DH... a very good price according to our morrocan friends!!!!!

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Local Products: Babouches

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Nov 29, 2004

Babouches

Babouches are leather slippers which come in all colours.
    They look to be very comfoartble but I didn't see any tourists walking around in them...

Instant Answers: Marrakesh