Stores, Malls or Markets in Marrakesh

babouches, Marrakech
    by EviP
  • Expensive toys in the Marjane shopping district
    Expensive toys in the Marjane shopping...
    by antistar
  • Checking out the fish stock cubes in Acima
    Checking out the fish stock cubes in...
    by antistar

Most Viewed Shopping in Marrakesh

• RachelBlech's Profile Photo

Diagone: Apple Macintosh Store in Marrakech and Casblanca

by RachelBlech Written Jul 8, 2010

There is an Apple Mac dealer/shop in Marrakech - called Diagone on Ave Mohammed VI in Gueliz near Lycee Victor Hugo. + 212 524 431 200
    Also they have Office/shop in Casablanca on 44, Boulevard Sidi Abderrahmane - Beauséjour
    20 200 - Casablanca Téléphone + 212 522 953 400
    See www.diagone.com

Prices are not much different to European prices and the manager (in Marrakech) is very helpful and speaks some English.

What to buy: If you are an Apple Mac user, then it's always hard to find repairs, peripherals and dealers. You can get most current catalogue items here and servicing/repairs are be handled in Casablanca.

What to pay: Same as Europe/US

• Business Travel
    • Photography
    • Work Abroad

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

In the souks: Haggling for souvenirs

by toonsarah Written Nov 21, 2009

My crutches meant that we couldn’t venture as far into the labyrinth of souks as I would have liked to do my limited shopping. I know that the better bargains, and better quality goods, are to be had as far as possible from the Djamaa el Fna. But we had to make do with the opportunities in the lanes leading more or less immediately from the square, and found these in practice to be fine. We were able to shoot plenty of photos (always a higher priority for Chris than shopping, and usually also for me), and found that being more touristy made it actually easier in some ways to get the shots we wanted as people were more accustomed to being photographed and for the most part seemed unfazed by it.

What to buy: But I was here to shop too, as best I could – some birthday money was burning a hole in my pocket! My main and favourite purchase was a vibrant pink leather shoulder bag (photo 2), spotted in one of the lanes behind the Café Argana. I succeeded in beating the seller down on price from the 450 dirhams originally quoted to 280 (about £22.50) which seemed pretty good until I saw larger bags on offer at the Ensemble Artisanal for a fixed price of only a little more. No matter, I love my bag, and the price seems fair enough to me!

Souk near the Djamaa el Fna My handbag

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Art works 2

by suvanki Updated Apr 17, 2009

Another picture I bought in Marrakech was this oil painting of a Veiled woman's face.

Islamic Art forbids the use of human beings depicted in paintings etc- hence the use of geometric patterns etc. I'd noticed that a lot of paintings of people had blank faces- just a white circle or oval to represent their faces.

So when I found this painting, especially because of the blue colourings, that would go with my home decor, I knew I had to have it!

I bought it from a stall near the dyers souk, after my 'guide' had shown me around the silk dyed skeins hanging to dry. It just caught my eye.

I had to haggle for a long time, but was glad I did!

What to buy: Oil paintings by local artists

What to pay: I haggled, the asking price was 400 dh, I got it for 100 dh- now I need to find someone to frame it (cheaply!)

Oil painting, Marrakesh

The Fez Hatb

by keeweechic Written Feb 20, 2009

The Fez hat or otherwise known as the Tarboosh. A cone shaped hat, usually red with a black tassel, many believe it may be originally of Greek origin. The Ottoman Turks then adopted the wearing of the Fez. You can find many of them for sale in Marrakech.

Ceramics

by keeweechic Written Feb 16, 2009

Everywhere you will find Moroccan ceramics. The urban pottery is made mainly in Fes, Sale, Meknes and Safri. Different areas have different styles. The Moroccans plate a high importance on decoration. Beautiful plates and tagines are a great momento of your trip and far cheaper here that you will find back home.

Jars and Jars

by keeweechic Updated Jan 30, 2009

They have more than 100 products which include a lot of traditional cosmetics, essential oils which can be used for both cosmetic purposes and healing. They also offer spices such as turmeric, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cumin coriander and peppers as well as tea.

Aux 100.000 Epices

by keeweechic Written Jan 30, 2009

Right in the Kasbah by the Saadian Tombs is Aux 100.000 Epices. You enter the Riad through quite a non descript doorway and up the stairs to their presentation room. They will then talk you through the different oils and plants that they use in their products, handing around samples for you to try in anticipation of course of you buying.

Teapots

by keeweechic Written Jan 29, 2009

Moroccan teapots are made of brass, aluminium, tin and silver alloys. You will see a lot of silver coloured teapots in the souks which are used for serving tea all throughout the day. They can range from fairly simple to quite decorative ones on little leaf designed feet.

• Veroali's Profile Photo

Market near El Bahia

by Veroali Written Dec 10, 2008

Near El Bahia Palace, if going straightly from Kotoubia minaret, there are also many shops and even cheaper and i would say sometimes nicely made. Especially spices built to straight cones, then a lot of cloths, clothes and there is also special building market for Gold and jewels.

What to buy: Almost everything

What to pay: Bergain the lowest price, when you can!

Market Jewels and gold market
    • Luxury Travel

• khalid_2's Profile Photo

Librairie Chater: Books In Marrakech

by khalid_2 Updated May 7, 2008

The extensive book section, the best in the city, is at the back of the shop, with coffee table books and guidebooks, including Atlas Mountain guides in French on the back wall and novels in English in the far right hand corner.
    The front part has drawing and office materials and some good postcards.

What to buy: Any Book you like :)

• Study Abroad

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Antique Shop: Berber antiques

by suvanki Updated Apr 14, 2008

I was invited into this shop, while I was wandering about near Dar Si Said. I'm no expert on antiques, and I'm always a bit wary if they are genuine. However, the shop owner was keen to show me some of the many items he had on display.

He explained some of the items were Berber, from villages in the High Atlas mountains. He also had a lot of Jewish items.

When the Jews left the Mellah for Israel, many articles were sold, or left behind. I was shown jewellry, household goods and old scriptures.

I wasn't intending buying anything, but left with a Berber key, which I paid 50dh for.

Probably not a bargain, but a 'different' souvenir! I did enjoy poking around this shop though, although it was quite sad to imagine the owners of the goods selling them or having to leave them behind.

What to buy: Berber articles

House hold goods

Jewellery

Jewish scriptures

What to pay: Probably as little or as much as you want!

Antique shop, Marrakesh Berber Key Antique Shop, Marrakesh
    • Luxury Travel

• aegialichick's Profile Photo

La cabane d'Ali Baba: Cavern full of beads

by aegialichick Written May 8, 2007

Beads at wholesale prices - hands of Fatima, engraved metal beads, enamelled metal beads, seed beads, ... rummage through Ali's baskets of yes, you guessed it, beads, and who knows what you will find!

What to buy: Beads?

What to pay: 20 dirham for 1/2 kilo seed beads, hands of Fatima 5-6 dirham ....

chez Bouaounate Youssef et frere!

• barryg23's Profile Photo

The Alarm Clock Search

by barryg23 Written Apr 16, 2007

Having left my alarm clock behind in the hotel in Erg Chebbi, I tried to buy a suitable replacement in Marrakech. It made a change to actually go looking for something in the shops. Usually in Morocco, we wander the souks with no intention of buying anything. Normally we have to fight the vendors off but this time none could help us. I'd ask for a reveil, (which is, from I remember, the correct word) they wouldn't know what I meant.

When I said “alarm clock” in English they'd usually understand but point me in another direction where the process would start again. We did find a shop near Djemaa el-Fna with tick-tock types, but the only digital one there didn't work. He wanted 100 Dh for it but when he set it up to test it, it didn't ring! Some alarm clock! So you can't always buy what you want in Marrakech... or perhaps we didn't look hard enough.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Sagha - Grand Bijouterie: Sagha - Grand Bijouterie - Jewellery

by sue_stone Written Feb 15, 2007

Located in the Mellah (Jewish quarter) you will find the Sagha or Grand Bijouterie, which is the old jewellery market. Look for the lovely old 'Grand Bijouterie' sign and here you will find the small covered arcades filled with shiny treasures.

The shops are tiny, and sell a range of gold and silver jewellery, gemstones, decorated boxes and belts. Originally, all the shops were owned by Jewish jewellers, but these days only a couple the Israelite dealers still remain.

What to buy: Much of the jewellery here is sold by weight, so make sure you know what the going rate is for gold & silver before you attempt to buy anything. Even if you are not shopping, it is an interesting place for a window shop if you are in the area.

Open daily from 9am till 8pm

Alison shopping in the Sagha Shops in the Sagha Courtyard in the Sagha

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Spice Markets: Spice Markets

by sue_stone Written Feb 15, 2007

Make sure you find the time to explore some of the spice markets. Not only are they really interesting, but they make a great place to take some photos! In some of the markets the colourful spices are displayed in cone-shaped piles at the front to the shops, attracting the shopper with their aroma and colour.

If you are interested (or even if you're not!), the spice sellers will spend lots of time showing you each spice and explaining what they are used for, wanting you to smell different ones. You may actually learn something!

What to buy: The best spice markets we visited were in the heart of the Mellah (Jewish quarter), where we spent ages chatting to one of the vendors and learning all about his wares. We explored some spice markets just off Place Rabha Kdima as well.

Just be warned that I have read reports of fake spices being sold. At one stall we visited we were looking at some saffron and Alison was convinced it was fake so we didn't buy any.

Spices! Colourful spices friendly spice trader in the Mellah A few more spices Yep, even more!

Marrakesh Hotels

• La Maison Arabe

This riad is consider the oldest- may be the fiart- and best riad in Marrakech. Hoever. it is a bet...

• Riad Aguerzame

Situé dans la médina de Marrakech, près du palais Moulay Idriss, le Riad Aguerzame, entièrement...

• Riad Kniza

Beautifully decorated room, cozy aura, clean bathroom, delicious food and warmhearted staff. I got...

Latest Marrakesh Hotel Reviews

Jnane Mogador
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
La Maison Arabe

Instant Answers: Marrakesh

Comments

Marrakesh Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Marrakesh locals.
Map of Marrakesh