Music & Musical Instruments, Marrakesh

Know about this? Rate It!

CD stall Djemma el Fnaa
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

CD stalls souk and Djemma el Fnaa: Moroccan Music

by suvanki Updated Feb 1, 2008

CD seller, Djemma el Fnaa

Whenever I travel, I like to listen to the local music. I usually return from my holidays with a few cd's.

Morocco has a variety of styles - Arabic, Arabic-Andalucian, Berber, Gnawa or Gnaoua(a blend of Arab/Berber), Rai, Arabic/belly dance, contempory, and fusions of these including rap/hip hop/dance beats.

The Lonely Planet Guide lists some popular cd's and artistes, so armed with this list I set out to find a cd stall.

I found one in the souk, and spent quite an amusing time with the stall holder finding a suitable selection. However, I needed to exchange some money, so explained I'd return next day to collect them and pay. Despite making a careful note of the stalls location, I couldn't find it .

This stall in Djemma el Fnaa managed to find me a similar selection. The stall holders were very helpful and friendly, playing selections from discs for me to listen to.

What to buy: I purchased cd's by Hassam Hakmoun, Najat Aatabou (2 popular contempory artistes),

Andalucian music, and an Arabic/ Belly Dancing disc by Rafat Misso and Hossam Ramzy

What to pay: 15 -20dh try to haggle if buying a few (tho' this didn't work for me!)

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

CD's on street vendors: CD in street vendors

by johnsakura Written May 30, 2004

marrakesh morocco

All over the city now you'll find people selling cd's all kinds.

What to buy: You have from western music and also many arab singers. Idir, chek khaled, faudel, rachid taha, cheb mami etc.

What to pay: 15 dirhams each CD 1.5 euros!!

• jo-allyn's Profile Photo

Musical Instruments: drums and other store

musicstore owner

I play middle eastern music, percussion. As a result, I was on a quest for bendirs(framedrums) in the souk. I was delighted to find quite a few "shops" stuffed full with drums!! I bought one excellent sounding bendir for $13.00 which was an excellent price. To make up for that wise purchase, I paid way too much for a square framedrum (in keeping with a quickly established tradition of not being able to bargain well!!)

I was so enthusiastic about all the drum shops I visited that day. I did an excellent job of getting address info from them all. The bad news i do not now know which picture goes with which address!!

As a result, I am going to list the addresses and phone numbers in one list knowing that whichever one you end up, in you won't be disappointed (as long as you BARGAIN)

31 souk El Kimakhine Marrakech 070-41-03-54
    35 Souk Jeld El Kimakhine 062-40-52-46
    39 Souk Jeld El Kemakhine 01-55-25-14
    36-44 Souk El Kebir Semmarine 44 07.47

What to buy: drums

• jo-allyn's Profile Photo

Drum shops of Marrakech: finding the pulse of the souk

drum shop marrakech

31 souk El Kimakhine Marrakech 070-41-03-54
    35 Souk Jeld El Kimakhine 062-40-52-46
    39 Souk Jeld El Kemakhine 01-55-25-14
    36-44 Souk El Kebir Semmarine 44 07.47

Musical Instruments: music and drums

by jo-allyn Updated May 3, 2004

I bought this drum. I paid way too much for it! I paid $20.00! I think I should not have paid more than $10.00. However he played it for me and the lesson was great so...

Instant Answers: Marrakesh