Berber Villages, Marrakesh

by keppe
  • berber villages at the atlas moutains

by keppe Written Apr 5, 2009

i went on a hiking holiday in the atlas mountains.
    So i didn t like to do it with a large group from a large tourcompany so i searched for a small local travel agency and I find Abdellah.
    He s a real local guy (berber) and really a fantastic guide . He arranged the whole tour for 300 euro less then the other travel agencies here in Belgium (and most important for me alone).

He took me from the airport, where i slept the first night in a small hotel/riad in Marrakesh. Ealry in the morning we left to Lalla takaroust where the muletier (guy with the donkey) awaited us to start or 6 day hiking trip in the mountains.

He took me to a lot of villages for example Ait zitoun, Ait hamd, Imin Tala,..... we walked everyday about 4 to 6 hours and slept and eat with the local people. The people from the villages are very open and always invited us in to talk (guide talked lol because they only speak berber language and a bit francais). I really learned a lot of the way of living of the berber people.
    Also the nature (mountains) are very beautiful and especially very quit. At night you could see millions of stars.
    After the hiking tour we went to a small village Amizmiz to take a car back to Marrakech where i spent my last three days.
    So i can recommand these trip to anyone from families to couples or like me single travellers.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo

Berber villages - zat valley

by vinc_bilb Updated Feb 28, 2008

Typical view - Berber village

Just closed from Oureka valley, there are not well known villages, out of the standard tourists ways, where you could have a more real contact with Berber culture.

How can I say: the peoples were so kind ! But don't expect temporary a western confort

• Architecture