Local Traditions, Marrakesh

Know about this?

Yes. Goats. Up a tree. Get over it.
    by SallyM
    Tourists for photo
    by solopes
    water sellers
    by Leipzig
  • SallyM's Profile Photo

Tree Climbing Goats

by SallyM Updated Sep 3, 2008
    Yes. Goats.  Up a tree. Get over it.

On a trip out of Marrakesh to Essaouria we went through an area which is home to goats that climb trees (allegedly). A goat may well have climbed an argan tree in the past in order to eat the fruit or even escape from some perceived threat, but the tree-climbing goats are now so famous, they have no need to go to the effort of actually climbing.

I am not sure who is the more exploited – the goats, who are unceremoniously thrust up into the trees by the goatherds, or the tourists, who present a captive market for the lucrative photo-opportunities as their tour buses halt by the roadside.

I do not think that the goats suffer as a result of the practice. They just looked very bored.

• Marrakesh's discoveries

by Marrakeshdiscover Updated Mar 20, 2007

I live in Marrakech, Morocco. Along with a French female I promote a charming guesthouse with its 3 rooms in Marrakech, 5 minutes walk from Djamaâ El Fna Square. I serve in locating accomodations, arranging buses, and organizing short trips from Marrakech to The Ourika Valley—the Berber country region which sits 66 km from Marrakech—and Essaouira city. I work with a sister guesthouse at each of these locations. I advise my guests on how to truly discover my city and the valley, and on how to share some daily experiences with the Moroccans such as the public bath (hammam), local and authentic meals, Henna body tattoos, and the weekly Ourika Valley market. Also, I guide people on deeper tours of Marrakech. If you have requests about booking here in Marrakech or about addresses or sites you intend to visit, I am very well-suited to help you.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Camel Rides

by solopes Updated Dec 19, 2013

Tourists for photo

Why are you laughing? You will also end riding a camel, so why laugh?

But... bargain!

Don't ask me where and how - you will stumble on it, so... bargain!

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Water sellers

by Leipzig Updated Apr 27, 2003

water sellers

First of all: Don't drink this water!!

Water sellers are friendly guys. If you want to take a photo of them, chaffer the price in advance! € 0.50 is adequate!

Instant Answers: Marrakesh