Water Sellers / Beggars / Intrusive People, Marrakesh

Jamal el Fna
    by Andre_Pires
    La Place or The Square
    by LostBoyPN
    María and me with the water sellers
    by spanishguy
  • Pictures with Monkeys - AVOID them!

by annie412 Written Sep 12, 2005

The monkeys might look cute, but my advice is to avoid them. If you go near them then the liklihood is that they will be put on you.

The people with these cute animals will be very friendly and pleasant UNTIL it comes to paying.......then a sum of money (way above normal prices) will be demanded.

When I offered an amount and started walking, two of the men then started walking after them demanding more money....it can be scary.....

Fun Alternatives: My advice is not to walk across the square in the day time unless you want a picture with the monkeys and are prepared to pay a reasonanable amount of money.

• Cool-123's Profile Photo

Asking money

by Cool-123 Written Dec 8, 2002

When I arrived the port in Tangier, there was a man who asked me to show him my ticket and passport. He seemed look like a guard. Then he led me the way to the counter where the people were buying the ticket. The man showed my ticket to the sale counter and then gave my passport to an old man. The old man started to fill my personal details in a form. Well, the man told me gave the old man some money because he was working for me. Then I told him I would not pay and I could do it by myself. So he gave me back everything.

Unique Suggestions: Don't pass any personal belongings to somebody if you don't know why.

Marrakech

• mettemaritc's Profile Photo

Do not take to many...

by mettemaritc Written Aug 25, 2002

Do not take to many picks.they want money for everything.If you do shoot from the hips.
    Do not take anything that women in the street want to give you as a present,then you can come up in big troubble.

• Don't let them force you to...

by Mirellaboer Written Aug 25, 2002

Don't let them force you to buy something!!
    And also be carefull when you take a picture, not all people want to be on a picture and if you ask them you have to pay them. But also when you don't put them on a picture, they will come to you and ask for 'picture'money. (they react on the flash)

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

If I must name a tourist...

by Krystynn Updated Aug 24, 2002

If I must name a tourist trap... then it's gotta be the likes of these men (see pic below). The Moroccans call them the 'water men'. I don't wish to generalize them but those water men found in Marrakech's biggest square... well, be prepared to fork out US$1 (minimum) if you were to take their pic. That includes the snake charmers and other interesting characters found along this square. They charge you for taking their pictures! Sigh.

Instant Answers: Marrakesh