Marrakesh Warnings and Dangers

Harmless street scene on Djama El Fnaa
    by Airpunk
    Traffic at Marrakech Plaza in Gueliz
    by antistar
    Oskar in a taxi - he loved it.
    by antistar

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh

• Coralia Club Marrakech Palmariva Hotel

by sabfra Written Jun 15, 2008

do NOT go to the Coralia Club Marrakech Palmariva Hotel!!!
    it is TOTALLY WORN OUT!!!
    go spend your well earned money somewhere else!!!

our nice terrace :-( the door to hell need a little paint? cut the right colour or it will explode... isn't it clean?... NOT even close!!!

• Redang's Profile Photo

Street crossing

by Redang Written Apr 9, 2007

Anytime you have to cross the street, don't think twice, just dive into the traffic jam, as my guide said, "in moroccan style"; a thrilling experience, believe me!

Marrakesh (Morocco) Marrakesh (Morocco)

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

The Medina is a maze.

by colin_bramso Updated Jan 16, 2004

The Medina is a maze of twisting, narrow streets. Take care not to get lost. Girls, don't wander off on your own.

A maze of narrow alleyways.

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Pollution and noise

by ptitetoile Written Dec 15, 2003

Most Morrocans travel with scooters.... it causes pollution (and thus bad odor) and noise...Not very funny...

Instant Answers: Marrakesh

• sasiren's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Morocco travel warnings:

My friend from Senegal and I just got back from a wonderful (for the most part) trip to Morocco. I am American and his experiences were far different from mine.

1.In Rabat, do NOT stay at Hotel du Central in the medina. The manager is rude, surly and a real a hole who doesnt speak, greet, say please or even thank you.
    2. Also in Rabat at the medina food stalls, dont accept food that is obviously old and previously cooked. Send it back and ask for fresh food.
    3. Beware of taxi drivers even when they use the meter, they will take you round and round.
    4. In Essaouira, be careful at the beachside food stalls, they charged my friend and I a whopping 450 dirham for so so fish that we mostly fed to the cats. The fries were old and cold and they claimed they could not change them because they were cooked somewhere else. I urged my friend to leave, but he said since we had ordered it was too late. It is NEVER too late to walk away! Find out where the locals eat cheaply and go there.
    5. In Fez DO NOT stay at Pensione Talaa in the medina. It is horrid and has no sink, mirror, toilet or shower inside the room. Additionally, it is grimy looking. I only accepted it because it was raining.
    6. Stay at Hotel Bab el Jeloud right outside the medina gate, it is much nicer.
    7. Be aware that Morocaans are racist toward black skinned people unless those ppl are Americans and they assume have money. Being a fellow Muslim means nothing. They definitely discriminate against ppl from Senegal and sub sahara Africa!
    8. In Fez do eat the local treats like Halwa (crushed almonds, honey, cinnamon and maybe argan and orange blossom water I am guessing). This is not available in other parts of Morocco.
    Fez also has good bargains on watches as does Rabat. Decent ones can be had for 30 dirham.
    9. In Marakesh do not stay at Hotel Amira et Vacances in the medina, they are racist toward black skinned Africans from Africa even those who have money.
    10.If you look Moroccan as I do, be careful at the airport when changing money. You may be refused. I had to find another teller on a different floor because this Moroccan female witch told me I needed my original receipt. She lied and I called her on it.
    11. Moroccan vendors are liars and crooks, esp in Marakesh.
    12. At the food stalls in Marakesh's medina, beware of the "accounting" practices at stall number 1. They will try to cheat you. We ordered tangia and were charged prices for mechou.We refused to pay and they changed the bill.
    13. The DVDs in Marakesh will play in America and I found them to be excellent quality. I paid 10 dirham per movie and wish I had bought more! Skyfall and Argo for 2 bucks total USD, can u imagine?
    14. Check your bill at the food stalls and keep track of what u order. They will pad the bill! If a Morocan can cheat you out of as little as 5 dirham, its a good day for them. Sad but true.
    15. Take the bus, its only 3.5 dirham. Go to the large supermarket Marjan.
    16. When walking be careful of horses, motor scooters, donkeys, trucks, cars et cetera.
    17. When crossing the street, be vigilant at roundabouts. Cross with a local. It is extremely dangerous. Someone in this forum said to just go with the flow. Dont take that advice. Be careful!
    18. Smile, say hello to the ppl and have fun in the souks. Morocco is very safe, just remain safey conscious.

• Apr 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM

It'll be really good to swap stories about your experience in Morocco and ours in Spain.
      At the moment we are still undecided. I am not too keen on Marrakech myself but I am willing to consider it for my husband.
      I am going to Morocco in 2 weeks so it'll be great to meet up, see the propery and have a chat over tea.
      Very nice talking to you as well.

• usaalltheway1's Profile Photo
      Apr 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

sounds good let's keep in touch be ready for hot weather

• TarikM's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Thank you for all the advises. Just to add to the above. Taxis would be happy to rip you off whenever they have a chance. Even Moroccans who live abroad aren't safe from them. They love the fact that you don't much about the local prices. A taxi should cost no more than 40 Dirhams from the airport to train station how they would ask you to pay 100 Dirhams at least. if you refuse they would drop the price to 70 Dirhams.
    I am a Moroccan origins and haven't been in the country for couple of years. My brother told me not to take the taxi from the airport as they would want to charge more than 100 Dirhams whch is more expensive than a taxi from Glasgow to Glasgow airport although the distance is much shorter. if you walk just out of the airport parking area you would be asked half of the price.
    On my way out they asked me 100 Dirhams to the train station from the airport, when I refused they dropped it to 70 Dirhams which I refused to. Once I walked out of the airport parking area a taxi offered to take me with 30 Dirhams after a long haggle which I though it's a bargain. When I got home my brother told he usually pays only 10 Dirhams..!!!

Marrakesh Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Marrakesh warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Marrakesh sightseeing.