Sale Local Customs

• "RUSH HOURS" AT MAIN AVENUE :-)
    by matcrazy1
    SALE AND RABAT (IN THE BACKGROUND)
    by matcrazy1

Best Rated Local Customs in Sale

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Conservative, muslim town ?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 25, 2005

SALE AND RABAT (IN THE BACKGROUND)

Walking off the beaten path along narrow streets of the medina I've found some signs of conservative, muslim lifestyle in Sale which was interesting. Just a few observations:

- I was dressed in a T-shirt with no sleeves and shorts above knee, Urszula had long dress but nude shoulders - some locals (guys) looked at my nude legs and sandals with some disappointment, I think and at shoulders of my wife with some (dirty?) interest, I think haha; a few women cried for teen daughters playing outside to go home (not to look at and follow us, I suppose);

- most locals were dressed in traditional, often white jellabia with a hood;

- women and girls didn't allow me to take any pictures, the girls smiled and escaped whenever they saw my camera in action;

- twice local guys showed me with hands not to take pictures of them, too.

Well, the life on the main streets of the medina looked mostly different... Anyway, I've got an impression about some conservative lifestyle of Sale and surely asked about it local taxi driver and others in Rabat the next day. I was told that Sale was and still is backwards to Rabat. In the old past there was long lasting some kind of competition between always modern Rabat and always traditional Sale. After regaining independence of Morocco (1956) some citizens of Sale organized themselves against federal government in Rabat and leaders of the anti-government and then anti-royal movement were arrested.

• Hiking and Walking

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

No cars, quite many bicyclists :-)

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 25, 2005

I remember Sale as a white city surronded by city walls with no visitors, few cars, very few local people walking around and surprisingly, in Morocco, quite many locals riding a bicycle, both inside the medina (too narrow streets for cars there) and outside. There were only a few cars driving main avenue in the morning rush hours. What a pretty difference with neighbouring Rabat!

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Sale

Comments

Sale Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Sale local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sale sightseeing.