Temara Travel Guide

by Alpensoft

Temara Transportation

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 30, 2005

I drove main highway P1 by own car southwards from Rabat towards Casablanca. Temara is located approx. 15 km south of Rabat by P1 but I did visit not exactly Temara (a village or a small town) but something what is called and marked on maps as Temara Plage (Temara Beach). So, driving P1 southwards, I had to turn right somewhere before Temara and to drive a few (maybe 5) additional kilometers to reach the Atlantic coast and Temara Plage.

Then I drove maybe 10 km main asphalt (and new) road paralell to the Atlantic coastline, having newly built houses on my right. At two places I turned right towards the ocean and saw first the sandy coast (closer to Rabat), then the rocky one.

Warnings:
    1. There are no direction signs along the main local road but there are no other roads, except small, mostly unpaved roads to residential districts.

2. There were unsigned road works along the road but... no traffic = no traffic jams, never.

3. Keep in mind that in 1998 the freeway/motorway from Casablanca to Rabat was not completed and ended south of Temara. I suppose it's already completed so, drive it and watch direction signs. The freeway, in contrast to some other - even main - highways, is well signed.

4. Just in case you don't have a car... hire one in Rabat or take a taxi. I didn't see any public transportation on the way. There is a camping on the beach in northern part of Temara plage (I wasn't there), so maybe there is any bus from Rabat to there.

ROAD WORKS ON THE WAY TO TEMARA PLAGE

Temara Local Customs

• Next royal palace?

I drove surprisingly good and asphalt road (it's not that common on secondary roads in Morocco) paralel to the Atlantic cost in Temara Plage. Suddenly I noticed flagpoles along the road, each topped with dark red Moroccan national flag . I passed by the guarded entrance gate (on my right) to... probably the next royal palace... there are many in...

• Just a few observations

NO PEOPLEI met only 2 people and I saw maybe 1 other car in Temara Plage. I do think that most houses were empty on a business day for obvious reason - their rich owners live and work in Rabat.NO HOTELSI bet there will be many soon, maybe they are already built somewhere there only I didn't find them. Well, the location by sandy coast and so close...

• Like in... southern Spain

At some places long Temara Plage looks very similar to residental areas in Andalousia and generally southern Spain or Portugal. The difference is that usually yards are smaller and often the whole houses, too. And there is not that much green space around. At a few places I saw, how to call them, terrase or row houses which formed something which...

Temara Off The Beaten Path

• Promenade along the coast

I was surpriced to see quite new, long and completely empty promenade along the rocky coast of the Atlantic coast. It was not completed in 1998, there were poles but no lamps on them. Well, I would grow palm trees along haha. I took a walk along and didn't see any human being... strange and funny. Maybe it works different in weekends when Rabatians...

• Sandy Atlantic coast, not a beach though

I drove asphalt road with no name which went paralel to the Atlantic coastline. There were residential areas between the road and the ocean and nothing on the opposite side of the road: dry earth with some grass (steppe landscape).When I hit my car towards the ocean I discovered just sandy coast, not a beach though. There was a lot of yellow sand...

• Unique house and limited diversity

Among different in size and details but similar in style white houses I've found a few quite different houses. In contrast to many other houses someone lived in that one on my picture on a business day. Diversity is not that common in Morocco, even in upclass housing, I noticed. Well, diversity must cost a lot.

Temara Favorites

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 20, 2007

Favorite thing: You maybe surprised but neither the Atlantic coast nor the beach attracted me most in Temara Plage. Instead, I admired local architecture of both typical white villas and houses and unique, different houses - just one example on my picture. Well, I've found only a few really interesting designs.

Surely it was neither Californian Beverly Hills nor the Atlantic coast south of Jackson, Florida with heavily guarded residencies, mostly hidden behind tall walls.

UPCLASS VILLA, TEMARA PLAGE
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Temara

Comments

Explore Deeper into Temara
Upclass houses and villas