Etosha National Park Nightlife

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Okaukeujo: Wildlife watching

by nigelw6443 Updated Mar 4, 2008

The stand off between a Elephant and Black Rhino

After dinner we made our way to the floodlit water hole. To our great joy a pair of Black Rhino were enjoying a drink. After about 30 minutes a lone bull Elephant showed up and there was a bit of a stand-off, but it appeared that the Rhino was a juvenile as the Elephant didn't back down. Usually the Elephants would be put off by an adult Rhino.

As we sat there watching, I heard a rustling next to me and there stood within touching distance a Jackal. Without any fear he just stood there looking over the wall at the water hole before hopping over and then under the protective fence. Amazing!

The images were taken from the film we made so the picture quality isn't that good.

Dress Code: Dress warm as the nights can get cold. Also bring something to drink with you as due to intense fascination you end up staying much longer than expected.

• Luxury Travel
    • Photography

• the_mumford's Profile Photo

Waterhole: Wildlife watching

by the_mumford Updated Mar 15, 2007

Usually the waterholes in Etosha are very active at night. Many animals take refuge from the sun during the dday and spend the night in the waterholes. Is a great time to see rhinos in particular. Some have spot lights.

Dress Code: long sleeves, bugs can get pretty bad

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

The waterholes: Watching animals at night

by Gili_S Written Nov 28, 2006

One of the simple things they did in Etosha is to locate the camping’s sites by the waterhole (or creating waterhole by the camping) It is a great opportunity to watch the animals at night approaching carefully to the drink.

• SanguiniA's Profile Photo

Waterholes at the Restcamps

by SanguiniA Written Oct 8, 2006

Rhino mom & calf at the waterhole

Well, this is definitely not a place for clubbing, but the acivity definitely does not die down at night! At each restcamp, there is a floodlit waterhole, perfect to view the nocturnal life of the animals after dinner.

The star attractions are the rhinos, which are somewhat more difficult to spot during the day. But keep in mind other animals such as lions & hyenas are nocturnal so staying a bit by the waterhole is a great opportunity to see some, even in action as we did!

If you are keen on photography, don't forget a tripod to be able to take pictures - and please be considerate towards the animals and other visitors and refrain from using flash guns. The animals are usually a bit too far away anyway.

Dress Code: Dress warmly, especially in winter nights - it can get really, really cold!

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

At the restcamps: Watch the animals at the waterholes

by Bigjones Updated May 24, 2005

Waterhole at Okakuejo

One of the best thing to do in the evening/night at the restcamps is to sit down on a bench and wait for the animals on the other side of the electrified fence. You might need a lot of patience. In Namutoni and Halali, we were not very lucky. But in Okakuejo, we saw a rhino around 9 pm. Then at about 1:30 in the morning, we were awakened by the roar of the lions. I was so scared in my tent ! The roar was so loud that I thought the lions were in the camp and didn't dare to go out of the tent until I heard our Australian friend Matt saying : "come one guys, lions at the waterhole". I jumped out of my sleeping bag and ran to the waterhole to see 7 lionnesses and a few babies drinking there. What a great moment ! Unfortunately we couldn't see the males, but we could hear them as well as a laughing hyena and other animals I didn't recognized. After a while, I went back to the tent (we were supposed to wake up at 4). On the way, I also saw a really huge owl on top of a car but didn't dare to approach. After that, I was so excited and the lions were still so loud that I couldn't close my eyes. But what a unforgettable memory !

• Photography
    • Camping

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Oukakoueja Camp, Etosha Ntl Park: Nightly play in Etosha

by Myndo Updated Jul 17, 2004

giraffae at etosha

Oukakoueja Camp has (as the other two camps in Etosha Ntl park) a waterhole that is lighted in the night, but it is the waterhole where you most likely see most animals.

Starting after dark, it seems to be a theatrical play. Here come the giraffae, very cautious and slowly they proceed to the waterhole. Why so cautious? Because there are lions around. You haven´t seen them yet? But you will. They keep the giraffae at a distance, at least until the rhinoceros arrive.... and they only stay until the elefants come...

Dress Code: long sleeves (maybe you will find some mosquitos), but else: come as you are.

Oh: if you stay on the campsite, bring a flash-light with you. That should keep the jakals away .... when you are wandering back. :-) I have had my experiences.

• Camping

Instant Answers: Etosha National Park

Comments

Etosha National Park Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Etosha National Park nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Etosha National Park sightseeing.

View all Etosha National Park hotels