Food and drink, Namibia

Know about this? Rate It!

Bushman TV lounge, Mowani Camp
    by 850prc
  • 850prc's Profile Photo

Bushman TV viewing

by 850prc Written Jul 26, 2003

Bushman TV lounge, Mowani Camp

Favorite thing: Bushman TV??? Well, of course, there's actually no such thing. Damaraland is certainly not the sort of place that you'd find a plethora of cable channels.

"Bushman TV" is a cute phrase that I heard used more than once on my trip to Namibia. It refers to the practice of taking your evening meal outdoors.

Fondest memory: We enjoyed "Bushman TV" in several places. But, one of the best would have to be at the Mowani Mountain Camp, near Twyfelfontein in southern Damaraland. (Please see my comments about Mowani under accomodations....)

The meal was extraordinary in itself. ANY dinner that begins with a lovely terrine of duck salad is going to be special. But, nibbling the outstanding cuisine on a linen-clothed table, illuminated only by candlelight would have been special enough. Add the Bushman TV aspect, namely dining under a sky literally boiling with stars, and you have the best show in the universe.

• Adventure Travel
    • Desert

• Soili's Profile Photo

Foods

by Soili Written Apr 12, 2003

Favorite thing: The local food is OK, even though I must confess I didn't eat the mopane worms. They feed on the leaves of mopane trees, and measure up to 5-7 cm. They are dried and then baked in the oven.
    My fellow traveller told me they tasted like smoked fish, somehow.
    I ate millet porridge though. (Or mahangu as it's called there). Not at all bad, and very filling.
    The wild spinach, coked with some cream into a thick paste, was good as well. Mild flavour.
    I must say I didn't like the fish. The fish isn't very typical of the norhern Nambia and I could taste the mud. The fish was surely caught in an oshana, which is a deep puddle of water. The soil is clay in the oshanas, so the taste must have come from there. A large fish, though, and plenty to eat.

Fondest memory: Foodwise: I liked the rooibos tea. I was very pleased to find it in the shops as well. It's a herbal tea, but it can be drunk with milk in it.
    A soothing tea.
    It was so nice to have it also on board the plane!!

Other drinks include the Namibian good beers, such as Tafel and Windhoek Lager, and Windhoek Lager light (2 percent of alcohol). The soft drinks are there as well, and some of the South African sparkled grape juice by Monis. Oh, I fell in love with those... they would make an ideal non-alcoholic summer drink for me!! Highly recommend, both the white grape and red grape variety. In cans (330ml) or in glass bottles.

• Beer Tasting