Rundu Travel Guide

lazy early morning hippos
    by smirnofforiginal
    Sunset over Angola
    by iammon
  • "row row row your boat, gently down the...
    by smirnofforiginal

Rundu Things to Do

by smirnofforiginal Written Jan 3, 2010

Get up early and get onto a boat!

Would have been wefully romantic to go along the Okavango is a couple of mokoros but it was a ll a little last minute and spur of the minute and so we went on what can only really be described as a "contraption". It was a platform that had a couple of plastic chairs for us to sit on - I did not feel too safe sitting on them but as we went along I relaxed about it... I saw as wew ent along, perhaps I should say when we finally went along... the engine was "tired" that morning! anyway I digress..

There is such an abundance of flora and fauna (including hippos) along the banks. I have no idea how long we travelled along the river but I could have continued for hours. By luck our guide spoke very good English and nont only did he know all about his local wildlife he was also happy to talk to us about village life which was most interesting.

And the river really is part of life along here. As we went along there were women washing their clothes - our guide pointed out one woman and told us that a couple of weeks previous another woman had been taken by a croc in that very spot! We saw the men going about their early morning "business" by mokoro. Our guide pointed at a little island in the middle of the river. It had a fruit tree... the village children swim to the island to pick the fruit... it is not unusual for one to become croc food :-s

And our guide was skilled on this section of the river as he took us to Popa Falls and there were a good many rocks in the water that we had to steer away from - like an obstacle course!

As we were carefully and slowly taken along on our floating platform with wobbling chairs, we saw numerous accommodations tucked into the banks on the river and most of them seemed to have boats to take their guests along (and they were mostly proper boats... but I kind of liked our dubious "contraption"!!!)

by smirnofforiginal Written Jan 3, 2010

An odd place. It has a couple of supermarkets but the most intriguing thing baout Divundu are the three whopping large petrol stations here (which sell Bic biros so if you have run out and still have a thousand children wanting them... this is your place!).

The villages that branch off from Divundu are bursting with gorgeous children.

One thing I will not forget is driving along a track, just big enough for the car, driving slowly because of the random goat, windows wide open and suddenly a little black hand is inside the car waving at me whilst the braodest smile I have EVER seen is beaming through the open window! Next another toothy, grinning face popped up and with 2 pens being produced the smiles only got wider! They snatched the pens as though they were gold dust and I might change my mind and were about to run off... but I called to them and gave them apples... the singing and dancing, skipping and hopping from these two boys, happy with their loot... and then I realised I had been infected by them because I too had the largest smile across my face!

by smirnofforiginal Written Jan 3, 2010

We had been driving for hours and we so nearly took a detour to see Popa Falls but decided we just couldn't take adding any further driving to the day's journey.

The next morning we took a boat and unbeknownst to us when we booked it, it took us to see Popa Falls............ and for once we were delighted to jave not added extra miles to our journey!!!

the description in my Lonely Planet said 'a broad series of cascades' which sounds grand, but it then does say 'they're nothing to get steamed up about' I think this is a very fair description.

If you are right by them - see them, if not you are never going to regret not seeing them!

Rundu Shopping

by smirnofforiginal Written Jan 3, 2010

Quite a large supermarket. I got water, bread, apples, some biscuits, crisps and other non perishable snacks. There was a tub of biros by the till.

Guards on the door - you have to show them yourreceipt before you are allowed to leave with your goods.
    And the fat, white, presumed to be owner looking down from the gods at his little empire.

What to buy: A good place to stock up

Instant Answers: Rundu

Comments

Rundu Travel Guide
Map of Rundu