Local traditions and culture in Borno State

• Hausa in Maiduguri in his little shop, selling.
    Hausa in Maiduguri in his little shop,...
    by Tolacuna

Most Viewed Local Customs in Borno State

• Tolacuna's Profile Photo

The Land of Hausa, like it has been for centuries.

by Tolacuna Updated Oct 7, 2004

Nigeria is a country in which coexist (not allways without trouble) over 350 different tribes, each one with it´s own customs and lenguage. Out of that 350, there are 3 mayor tribes- the ones that wield the power around Nigeria. (obviusly also do the big foreing companies, but in a different context))

I am talking about the "Ibo", the "Yoruba" and the "Hausa".

The Northern part of Nigeria is mainly Hausa and consequently so is Maiduguri. Their lenguage, also called Hausa, is very similar to Arabic and actually uses lots of words in comon. (for example Allah). But it is not pure arabic, it is mixed with other african lenguages like Swahili.

Hausa people are muslims. And a strict muslim needs to pray 5 times a day. If you don´t know that, you might find it anoying that your driver disapears 5 times a day, spetially if your project is realy behind schedule. But don´t worry, the pray takes usually like 15 minutes. (please note that I am taking this data from my experience there, that is: it took my driver 15 minutes to pray. I dont know if it should be less or more usually).

I dont' know the origen, but my driver "Usman" told me about an ancient law, the "Sheria Law", which is the oficial law in Borno State. Just looked it up and sheria means law in the swahili lengage, anyways I was told that it is a common practice to cut of the right hand of a theif, or to stone a woman to death if she is caught having sex without being maried, or with someone she is not maried to. (once again, just telling my experience, not saying good or bad). Part of this law is that alcohol is illegal in Borno State. And you can actually only get beer at illegal places.

PD: Don´t ever buy a Nigerian destilated Gin that was illegaly smuggled into Maiduguri. It is only good for cleaning windows. (caused me 2 days of headeche)

Hausa in Maiduguri in his little shop, selling.
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Borno State

Comments

Borno State Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Borno State local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Borno State sightseeing.
Map of Borno State