Related Nigeria Favorites Tips

tanker by apapa lagos lagoon
    by gwened
  • shell island with refinary and oil tankers
    shell island with refinary and oil...
    a look into Ikoyi mansions

Most Viewed Favorites in Nigeria

• gwened's Profile Photo

walk carefully Lagos

by gwened Written Dec 11, 2013

Favorite thing: you can walk in Lagos daytime and on certain areas such as victoria island, Ikoyi, ikeya, and it is nice, going shopping, eating out.
    night time or sundown are not suggested in all not just for security but also for health reason such as mosquitoes.

Fondest memory: walking by the beach at Lagos and see the oïl tankers go by,mingling with the locals and just have a nice cold beer

• Architecture
    • Business Travel

• williamusa324u's Profile Photo

If god created a hell on earth I fould it

by williamusa324u Written Jan 27, 2010

Favorite thing: Nigeria is a dangerous dirty place. I was there for 2 years and was sick all the time. I had glads I never thought existed in ones body. Food was something I have never seen before. The Nigerians eat something they call garrey. Its a greasy pasty looking something that I was unable to determine what it was made out of. The poverty level is incredible with many people hungry in the streets. the roads and traffic is almost unbearable. Although generally the people are very friendly and seem like people from USA and Europe they still have an aggressive way about them. I dont recommend walking to far in the daytime and never at night. At this time there is a severe struggle between the government and armed bandits in the river delta area. They often drill into oil pipelines trying to steal the oil causing pipeline explosions. Also they often try to steal copper wire from live transformers creating power outages when the cut into live power lines always cooking them to a crisp. Not a place to visit unless you have business there and a small security detail.

Fondest memory: my fondest memory was on the airplane getting ready for takeoff

• Be smart in Nigeria

by JudithAkins Written May 15, 2009

Favorite thing: I have just come back from 2 1/2 weeks in Nigeria. Lagos and Ibadan. Roads are a challenge - so dont plan to travel too far. Avoid public transport. You need to be street smart to survive them. Private car will come with a driver. My driver and security guards were brilliant and stongly recommend. Word of mouth recommendation is the only way to get anything in Nigeria, and the only way to avoid trouble. There are no big tour companies - only private contractors. I am happy to pass on the contacts if you want to contact me.

You will need to have a visa, and yellow fever vaccine and take maleria tabs to prevent. Prevention is critical. Medical care is really poor standard. Plan to eat only local food and drink only bottled water.

Fondest memory: The people are happy and develop a strong bond of friendship - if you are open and let this happen.

• Photography

• daarth's Profile Photo

An exiting place to grow up

by daarth Updated Feb 20, 2007

Favorite thing: Nigeria was an exiting place to grow up. I will not attempt to write a travel guide as this was many year ago.

For those of you old enough to remember the Biafra war, it was the first war with total media cover from the international media. For a kid 7 years old, it was an experience never to be forgot. At the worst we had the front 50 km from our home. We had the offer of evacuation, but later in life, I have often wondered about the Nigerians. They never had anywhere to go.

Before the war, I had many great experiences and I hope to take my family back sometime to see the country today.

Some day (if I get inspired) I will attempt to write a few funny stories.
    (Read about my monkey in my Siera Leone page)

(note to self: move this to travelogue)

• Religious Travel

• sachara's Profile Photo

Bauchi, entrance of the town

by sachara Updated Dec 15, 2005

Favorite thing: The entrance (and exit) of the town centre of Bauchi, as of many other towns in the region, are marked with nice gates. These gates have a big entrance in the middle for the cars, buses and trucks and two smaller ones at both sides for the pedestrians.

I liked the local architecture and the colours of these gates.

• Architecture

Ilorin, lively streets

by sachara Updated Dec 15, 2005

Favorite thing: From Abeokuta we drove to Ilorin, a town about 285 KM north-east of Lagos. Ilorin is a gateway city between the north and south of Nigeria, economically and culturally.

Allthough it is situated in Yoruba-land, Ilorin has also a strong Muslim influence.

We arrived in the town at dusk. At that moment the streets were very lively. A lot of people were around in the marketstreets and around the streetstalls we passed.

Fondest memory: The enthusiastic people along the road in Ilorin.

Ibadan, citycentre

by sachara Updated Dec 15, 2005

Favorite thing: Ibadan, capital of Oyo State, is an enormous city, 125 KM north of Lagos.

We passed this Yoruba city of about 8 million inhabitants on our way from Abeokuta to Ilorin and Abuja. In the citycentre was a lot of traffic and traffic jam, so it took us some time to cross this sprawling city from west to east.

There is not much to see in Ibadan. There are a few markets, the University of Ibadan and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture. Interesting, because I studied myself at an Agricultural University with a international and tropical section.

• Study Abroad

• sachara's Profile Photo

Bauchi. " How are you? Welcome!''

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: During our long lunchstay in Bauchi especially the kids were very curious and friendly. They looked at us freely and asked "How are you?" or said ''You're welcome'' and they liked to chat with us a little.

Fondest memory: All the friendly people and kids we met in Bauchi and everywhere along the road in the towns and villages, we visited.

Bauchi, streetscene at lunchtime

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: In Bauchi we had a convenient lunchstop. I bought some food in the streetstalls and had lunch outside in the street.

At that time a lot of people were buying some snacks, sitting just along the sidewalks, chatting with each other and looking at what was happening in the street. The same like I did.

Fondest memory: The relaxed atmosphere.

Bauchi, streetstalls

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: In the streets around the central market in Bauchi were a lot of streetstalls. It looked like the whole towncentre was one big shoppingcentre, selling eggs, soft drinks, fruits like oranges and bananas, bread, sweets, biscuits and much more.

I bought some food in these streetstalls for having lunch in the truck, because it was my turn to watch the truck this day.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Bauchi, it's crowded at the marketplace

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: During our lunchstop in Bauchi it was very crowded in front of the the central market.

I really enjoyed to look at all the people around, like the many streetvendors, the motortaxi drivers, the curious children or just in general all the people, just being around for shopping or something else.

Bauchi, central market

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Bauchi has a lively central market in its towncentre. Here we did our shopping for our meals fro the next days. Most vegetables and food we needed were available at the market or in the stalls nearby.

And if something, you want to buy, is not there, you just ask a motortaxi driver and he will bring you to the shop or stall seomewhere else in town, where it's available. Easy like that.

Bauchi, towncentre

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Bauchi, the capital of Bauchi State, about 125 KM east of Jos, is a Muslim town. Sharia law operates in Bauchi, so it's forbidden to drink, to smoke, engage in premarital sex among a number of other things.

Visitors come to Bauchi, as a convenient stop on their way to the Yankari Game Reserve about 70 KM south-east of the town. We had a lunchstop in Bauchi near the central market and the roundabout with a small mosque.

• National/State Park

• sachara's Profile Photo

Ilorin, waving, singing and dancing people

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: When we crossed the towncentre of Ilorin, our truck was accompanied by an enthusiastically waving, yelling, dancing and singing crowd of people. It was an amazing experience for them, but also for us !!

Fondest memory: One week later I met the district priest of Ilorin in our guesthouse in Jos. He told me, that he had seen us in Ilorin, crossing with our truck. I could show him the pictures of the enthusiastic people along the road at my digital camera.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Ilorin, traffic jam and lots of people

by sachara Updated Dec 14, 2005

Favorite thing: When we arrived in Ilorin at the end of the day, there was a traffic jam. So we crossed the towncentre rather slowly.

The enthusiastic people along the road had more than enough time for waving and yelling ''you're welcome'' and ''how are you?'' at the moment they saw approaching us with the truck.

Fondest memory: The encounter with the friendly people of Ilorin.

Nigeria Hotels

8 Reviews - 37 Photos
Gwarinpa Hotels
Buguma Hotels

Instant Answers: Nigeria

Comments

Nigeria Favorites

Reviews and photos of Nigeria favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nigeria sightseeing.
Map of Nigeria