Lagos Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Lagos

• gflaig's Profile Photo

Religious

by gflaig Written Nov 13, 2011

Everybody, I met in Lagos is deeply believing (nearly exlusively christian) going very much into the direction of fundamentalism.

Somebody telling me, he is readding a lot - I am askingt him, whyt type of literature : I everyday read a minimum of 2-3 hrs in the bible.

Beeing aware of that may help you understanding behaviour.

• AC1's Profile Photo

Pigeon English

by AC1 Written Aug 19, 2004

You might find the language used here a little strange from typical English. It is call Pigeon English.

How now? = How are you?
    Welcome! = Hello!
    No wahala = No problem
    How far? = How is it going?
    You have anything for me? = Can you give me some money (cash)?
    Now = can be tomorrow
    Now now = to be done today
    Now now now = to be done immediately

• Business Travel

• Paul-linus's Profile Photo

Bow to the Yorubas, Shake with the Igbos

by Paul-linus Written Mar 19, 2004

There are many tribes and cultural differences in Lagos state as a city. For the Yorubas, the general cultural or customary mode of greeting is by bowing or by prosrating to the elders. As for the Igbos, no problems with shaking hands. They mainly greet Good morning, goodafternoon and good evening.

There is no danger as to the right way of greeting because as a visitor Nigerians would forgive your omitions (your sins).

• My cultural is one of the...

by NneNna Written Aug 25, 2002

My cultural is one of the most interested culture you like to see in your life.We have our cultural season by season , time by time.

(1) We have Tradional cultural like festival
    (2) We have Treditional cultural season for Farming and all the rest of them

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Poor but Rich

by sandysmith Written Aug 24, 2002

shops fronts

The Nigerians may be poor materially but spiritually they are the richest people I know. This part of Nigerian is virtually all Christian. I took this pic through the bus window (hence slight reflection) to show how their Christianity is displayed in their everday life - just look at the names of these shops, typical of the area we saw. Even the yellow buses has verses from the Psalms on them.

Instant Answers: Lagos

Comments

Lagos Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Lagos local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lagos sightseeing.