Lagos Warnings and Dangers

by ragavendralokaranjan

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Lagos

Walking around town

by Jan-ErikK Updated May 31, 2013

It´s safe to walk around busy and crowded Lagos Island during daytime, the western part market streets are extremely crowded so the risk of beeing robbed would be non-existent. But of cource be aware of pickpockets and leave bags and cameras back home. Lagos Island was some years ago the most dangerous part due to "area boys" (hoodslums) chasing away even the lagosians from LI. During nighttime it´s very different as there are no street lights! Therefore choose a street were you can find food during nighttime without having to walk away!
    But be aware that those area boys are hanging around under bridges and flyowers and easily spot a walking foreigner. I felt quite safe on Lagos Island and intended to do a long walk along Awolowo Rd in more unmarket Ikoyi planning to cross the bridge to VI (Victoria Island), meaning passed under a flyover there i noticed some guys with motorbikes. I continued walking along Awolowo (where you can find fast food places, a youth hostel, some cultural places etc, but there a very few pedestrians. After a while an annoying guy walked up by me and want to shake hand etc, i continued walking and he dropped off, a few minutes later came another guy who took a grip of my leg, I just thaught he was crazy and then he run away. With my wallet I had in my front pocket of my jeans. I saw them drew away on a motorbike. I just had like 5 dollars in it (as I have everything else in my moneybelt) so there was no harm. But after that I didn´t feel safe to walk there so I stepped in to a taxi

• Jan-ErikK's Profile Photo

Be careful taking photos in Nigeria!

by Jan-ErikK Updated May 27, 2013

People on the street feels offended it you take photos, they will get angry and shout at you. Even if you are just taking a general street view. I always tried to take photos with people far away. Once I went with a Nigerian friend to the market and took a photo at the butchers place where we was shopping, Immediately where was an angry man complaing that I hadn´t ask permission. And you are not allowed to take photos of any kind of official buildings -.and there are a lot, many old beautiful colonial buildings are official, you can never be sure... Twice I was caught by a gard when i have missed to notice an official building, and it´s can be quite threatful situation.. Many phótos I took out through the car window!
    This I found written by a woman líving in Lagos: "•Don´t take any pictures in the downtown(Tinubu Square area) as that area is overrun with the popular ‘Area Boys’, touts that will not hesitate to take your camera from you or even harm you." I did´t know this then, but I certainly got that feeling that I should not show my camera in this area.

• Jan-ErikK's Profile Photo

Check you immigraton stamp in your passport!

by Jan-ErikK Written May 27, 2013

I had a 90 days visa issued at home, everything went very smoot at the arrival at Lagos International Airport. When I was getting ready to go home after about 40 days ín Nigeria I checked my passport - and realized that the official had only stamped 30 days! I didn´t know if they will go for that or for my 90 days visa when I departed. But I was really scared, thank god did the official cheking my passport not do it thoroughly... I don´t know what had happened if they realized that i was way over the 30 day mark? So a god advide if yoy are stying longk, check immediately your stamp before you leave the official!

• Jan-ErikK's Profile Photo

Never leave your passport at the hotel

by Jan-ErikK Written May 25, 2013

I once was caught by a gard taking photos at a nice park - that happened to be outside the Governors resicence. He asked to see my ID´, but just that day I have left my passport there I was stying in case I would meet a robber... The gard said if i can´t approve ID by my passport and vísa I might be there illegal. They threatend to take my to jail! Scary. Luckily Í just that day had saved my Nigerian friends nr in my mobile phone. I phoned him and he rushed for me, idenifying me and apologizing for me... And I could leave with my friend. So if you have a Nigerian fríend it´s a good advice to as quickly as possible add their numbers in case you get in trouble.

• SCAMSS!!

by ragavendralokaranjan Written Sep 4, 2007

Hi...

Nigeria is very very Famous in scams, particularly Job Scams. I personelly experienced the same, luckly i escaped . Pl dont be happy and excited if something unsual offers you got instead think how a company can afford to pay such a salary. Dont pay or transfer any money to a un known persons. One company Named Oil-Mine Nigerian Ltd is a true example of how a website can cheat the job seekers. Dont trust anybody reg Nigerian Job.

• Photos

by ragavendralokaranjan Written Sep 4, 2007

Hi ....
    I went Lagos for a business trip, I was trying to take pictures when i came outside the Airport. I was caught by a local Policemen and he asked me to surrender my Digital Camera. Then i deleated the snapa and taken back my camera. It was a moment just i entered Nigeria but i had a bad experience. Pl dont take Snaps in and around Airport.(Also nothing is good for carriying away memories)

• djburn's Profile Photo

Lagos... stay away

by djburn Written Jun 20, 2005

the local market

If you ever get the chance to visit Lagos, Nigeria...pass. I was there for a month for work and it REALLY sucked. Food sucked, hotel sucked, work sucked, people sucked the most. Watch your wallet. Don't trust anyone.

• 419 Nigerian Internet Scam

by ychia76 Written Mar 25, 2005

Internet Scam is a big business in Nigeria. It is known as Advanced Fee Fraud. It used to be by mail, then fax and now the internet. The Scammers are savvy about new technologies and most of them are well educated people and very eloquent. It is the 3rd biggest money making business in Nigeria and the government may as well be a part of it. But what it is doing is hurting real legit businesses in the country. It is sad, but true.

• AC1's Profile Photo

Hide your Credit Card away...!!!

by AC1 Written Aug 19, 2004

NEVER EVER use your credit card after you landed in this country. Nigeria is very famous for all credit card scam and fraud.

Do not even your credit card to pay for hotel bills at a 5 star hotel. Many visitors who signed their credit card in the country, suffer when they return home to find out that their cards were immediately charged with all strange transactions costing thousands of dollar.

Don't ask me how it happened, but the reality is they have the network to track you down once they have your full name as appear on the card and the signature.

• Rob47's Profile Photo

RIOTS CAN TAKE PLACE IN THE...

by Rob47 Written Aug 25, 2002

RIOTS CAN TAKE PLACE IN THE STREETS OF ANY TOWN OR CITY.
    Keep your car doors locked and do NOT go out alone !

The Atlantic ocean is very dangerous with strong rip tides.
    I almost drowned when swimming and needed assistance from my boat driver and friends so
    'Please be careful' !

• Vea's Profile Photo

Be ware of pickpockets

by Vea Written Aug 1, 2004

Lagos street and markets are very crowded. So look after your stuff. And don't take photos on the streets. Nigerians don't like it.

• okeyzn's Profile Photo

Travellers must be with their...

by okeyzn Written Sep 12, 2002

Travellers must be with their friend in other to have maximum security and also advice travellers to observers.,

Instant Answers: Lagos

Comments

Lagos Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Lagos warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lagos sightseeing.