Safety Tips in Nigeria

the local market
    by djburn
  • I was very lucky no one saw me taking this photo!
    I was very lucky no one saw me taking...
    by Jan-ErikK
    This was the wedding!
    by susy80

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Nigeria

Check travel warning by Foreign Ministry

by Jan-ErikK Updated May 27, 2013

Many states ïn Nigeria are off for foreingers due the security, check with your Foreing Ministry which ones are to be avoided. If you still go there go travel insurane will not cover you if anything happens. US Bureau of Consular Affairs gives very accurate, precise and updated warnings

Avoid "Luxury Buses"

by Jan-ErikK Written May 27, 2013

These (normal) buses for long distances are frequently attached by armed robbers, particularly if the continue after dark or get delayed due to break-down or traffic congestion so darkness comes.
    Would never ever go by such!
    Safest it to go by a private driver for example during weakends when traffic is lighter.

• Jan-ErikK's Profile Photo

Be careful taking photos in Nigeria!

by Jan-ErikK Written May 27, 2013

People on the street feels offended it you take photos, they will get angry and shout at you. Even if you are just taking a general street view. I always tried to take photos with people far away. Once I went with a Nigerian friend to the market and took a photo at the butchers place where we was shopping, Immediately where was an angry man complaing that I hadn´t ask permission. And you are not allowed to take photos of any kind of official buildings -.and there are a lot, many old beautiful colonial buildings are official, you can never be sure... Twice I was caught by a gard when i have missed to notice an official building, and it´s can be quite threatful situation.. Many photos I took out through the car window! On the contrary if you have middle class/upper class Nigerian friends you will be amazed how often they take photos with their digital camera as soon there is a gathering or meeting, flashing all the time...

I was very lucky no one saw me taking this photo!

• Nigerian Marriages

by susy80 Written Jan 14, 2009

I can really sypathise with the above post. I am sorry you had to go through all of that. My story is similar. I met this man in Korea in 2005 where I was working at the time. He was VERY CHARMING at first. TALL AND HANDSOME. He seemed amazing! After about 2 months of knowing him in Korea he asked me to go back to Nigeria with him to meet his family. I went! after we arrived he told me - you know we might as well get married because there is no way back now youu HAVE MET MY FAMILY and thats the same as getting married in Nigeria! I was also confused in my mind at the time. I cant really describe it. Then a date was fixed and he told me we would be married on this day about two weeks later. THE WEDDING: There was NO WHITE DRESS. NO HONEY MOON or any kind of party. I was dressed in some Nigerian clothes his sister had made me. He drove me to this office which was a tiny dark room in some office building and there we got married. His father one of his friends and his brother were the only people present and this guy who made us take the wedding vows.

His mother or sister didnt even come. 2 months later i got sick with malaria and amazingly got back to the UK somehow. I was sending this guy over half of my wages for the year thereafter even though he was in Nigeria and I was back home trying to get him a visa which he couldnt get. and then it dawned on me WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING? I never saw him OR MY MONEY again after 2 months of staying in Nigeria and getting married there.

To him I am just a possession and It seems very difficult to get any help or advice on it without a huge lot of hassle.

BE CAREFUL na dask yourself these questions:

DOES HE WORK AND WHAT DOES HE DO? if he does not have a professional job or is a student. be very careful and wary.

HAVE YOU SEEN HIS PASSPORT ? do the date of birth and names add up and make sense? check it out!

HAS HE EVER MENTIONED TO YOU WHERE HE WOULD LIKE TO LIVE? if he wants to move away from Nigeria he may just need a visa from you!

HAS HE EVER BEEN OUT OF NIGERIA AND TO WHICH COUNTRIES? if he hasnt been to any western countries there might be a reason for it although a lot of nigerians go to asia for work it is harder for them to get to the US or UK and if he has ever applied but been denied a visa be even more careful.

I dont want to put all Nigerians in the same boat because in fact my boyfriend now is OF Nigerian desent although he is of British nationality. He is a wonderful guy who has made his own life for himself at no expense of others.

This was the wedding!
    • Study Abroad
    • Singles

• Watch out for online money requests

by lovejet Written Mar 21, 2008

As a Nigerian with wide experience i can tell you that many online requests for help are scams no matter how well coated, tell the person that its not that you dont trust her but you will forward the request to the EFCC [Economic and Financial Crimes Commision] so you can pass the money throgh them, and wait for the reply ,if in doubt contact the EFCC via their website

• Fake Marriages

by Vagent Updated Mar 16, 2007

Don't get married in Nigeria unless you are sure the person you marry is a not con artist out to get some easy money. My story is one for the ages. I met this young lady on a dating site. She emailed me her pictures and I liked what I saw. We talked off and on for about 1 year. Then I decided to go to Nigeria to visit her. Off I went in May 2005. She said her cousin Richie will be with her. The plane landed in Lagos, she was there to meet me with this guy who was supposed to be her cousin Richie. He did most of the talking for her when I was asking her would she like to come to the USA. June 3rd we went to the government center to get married. For all I know they could have asked the workers to make some fake marriage papers to fool me since I did not know how the process was done. I filed all the papers when I returned to the USA. They were approved. Then came the stalling from her and the begging for money because she said she did not have any food to eat. I still can't figure how can someone be so heartless to have a person come 3000 miles just to get a few dollars. Now when I call her she act like the phone connection is bad. I even saw her picture on a dating site using the name Juliet Brown the name she used with me was Juliet Martins. I traveled there alone hoping to find a beautiful African wife instead I got made a fool of because I trusted a stranger who all the time just wanted to get money by any means. Richie was not her cousin just the middle man in the plot. The landlord at the apartment building in Ogbomosho asked me for my address and phone number before I left. I now know he wanted to tell me the truth that they were not cousins at all. If I report what happened to me to the Nigerian Police I doubt if they will do anything about it. I know there are some good women in Nigeria just my luck out of all the millions there I picked a fraud and a con artist. I wasted my time, money and emotions on a person who has no heart or soul. Good luck if you decide to marry a Nigerian. You will need it.

Juliet Martins and me Juliet Martins and Richie Watchman Juilet Martins Richie Watchman and Juliet Martins THe landlord
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• tashka's Profile Photo

Fake ebony

by tashka Updated Oct 19, 2006

Ebony is a popular souvenir, you can buy a lot of high quality things made of ebony in Nigeria.

However, local guys in souvenir shops make a lot of fake ebony dying carved wooden things with shoe polish! They are actually doing this openly :-))

In the picture you can see one of them who gave his consent for photographing him.

Anyway, maybe what he is doing is bad, but he's smart to find a way to earn more cash :-))

Making ebony with shoe polish
    • Business Travel

• tashka's Profile Photo

Be careful at the airport

by tashka Written Feb 25, 2006

Don't let them cheat you at the customs control!
    They can say things like "You cannot take more than two souvenirs out of the country!"
    Just be firm and polite, but not rude. When they understand you are not going to pay anything to them, they will let you go.

Nigeria is a corrupt country, don't make it more corrupt than it is.

• Business Travel

• Toyin's Profile Photo

Islamic Religion and the People

by Toyin Updated Oct 3, 2004

Religion is a big issue in the lives of these people, and the Western media would warn you about religious intolerance in Nigeria. However, here are some young female muslims going for their worship. I must say that, in Nigeria, Islam is more liberal and not as volatile as the International media portrays it.
    I am a Christian, and when these worshipers saw me around their mosque with camera, they were rather very friendly and agreed to do a pose for me. I took several pictures of them. Talk about dangers!!!

Islamic Faithfuls

In May 1994, after a secret meeting with
    Shell, the Nigerian Head of Internal Security
    called for "ruthless military operations". The
    results? Dozens of villages destroyed,
    thousands of people made homeless and
    hundreds massacred. Shell even admitted
    that it had supplied guns for the "security
    operations". In an attempt to end the growing
    international protests, nine key campaigners
    were arrested. Shell offered to help secure
    their release only if they called off the global
    campaign. On the 10th November 1995,
    despite international condemnation, the
    campaigners were hung. The brutal
    oppression continues, and nineteen other
    campaigners are being detained in appalling
    conditions and face execution.
    EXPLOITING WORKERS
    Shell also played a leading role in the derecognition
    of oil workers unions. Even after
    the Piper Alpha oil rig disaster, demands for
    improved safety rights, were refused and
    non-union labour employed.
    BOYCOTT SHELL
    An embargo of Nigerian exports and a
    boycott of Shell Oil may help to end the
    environmental and human rights abuses in
    Nigeria. Tell Shell what you think about their
    disregard for the environment and tolerance
    of injustice - and demand that they
    compensate the Ogoni people.
    Freepost: Shell Centre, London SE1 7YY
    Freephone: 0800 414414

• Paul-linus's Profile Photo

All visitors to Nigeria should...

by Paul-linus Updated Feb 13, 2004

All visitors to Nigeria should be very careful at the Airport because there are many touts who may pretend to be helping you.But they are only interested in getting your WALLET. Some of them may pose as taxi drivers and would offer to drive you. Many people have been robbed of their visa, money and belongings in this fashion. There are also some corrupt officials in the air port. So be careful. Guard your wallets and your luggages very well. There are many people from Nigeria and other neighbouring countries who carry out nefarious activities in the air port. That's why some people think that Nigeria is very corrupt. The fact is that most of the people who do such evil acts are not even Nigerians.

When you arrive the airport, don't be in a haste and don't behave as if you are new to the place or else some inglorious people would pounce on you and cheat or rob you.
    Don't allow those who rush at you to either carry your luggages or to drive you. They could be robbers. Be patient and just look around enough and you will surely see a relaible, dependable and good man to drive you to your destination peacefully.

Again, most towns in Nigeria do not have good roads. When you are in a bus don't show your wallet openly to let people know you have much money with you. You could be asking to be robbed.

Also if you can afford to travel by air, the better, because land transport is not usually relaible as they can break down any time any where.

• Trains

• nnapr's Profile Photo

Open your eyes

by nnapr Written Oct 18, 2003

A passport and visa, which must be obtained in advance, are required for entry into Nigeria. Foreign nationals cannot legally depart Nigeria unless they can prove, by presenting their entry visas, that they entered Nigeria legally.

Roads in Nigeria are generally in poor condition, causing damage to vehicles and contributing to hazardous traffic conditions.
    Permission is required to take photographs of government buildings, airports, bridges or official-looking buildings.

Police officers are ready to arrest law breakers

• McCallister's Profile Photo

road bandits

by McCallister Written Feb 3, 2003

It is very unsafe to travel at night in nigeria and should be avoided. Even in the Daytime travel by auto is dangerous. You may encounter many temporary roadblocks. some say they are police, some say they are soldiers, others tax collecters or just plain bandits. All want money in some form either as Fines, Bribes, or outright theft. all are heavily armed and you just don't know who they are.

• You must have a legitimate VISA!

by Guardian624 Written Sep 2, 2002

You must obtain a legitimate visa before you enter into Nigeria. Many visitors to Nigeria come without one and open themselves up to very corrupt officials at airport and borders. If you aren't getting your visa from a Nigerian embassy, chances are you are being set up by fraudsters!!

• paulo007's Profile Photo

Please if you are visiting...

by paulo007 Written Aug 26, 2002

Please if you are visiting Nigeria for the first time, becareful at the airport because some bad guys who have set out to tarnish the image of our country have decided to use the airport as an avenue to acquire ill-gotten wealths from visitors. They can snatch your luggages, your visa, your passport, and your money. They may pose as taxi drivers or pretend to assist you. Please becareful. Most of them are even from the neighbouring countries. This is why people say that Nigeria is bad and corrupt. You will surely meet corrupt people but so it is everywhere. There is no country that can boast of not having bad eggs in their dishes. So please, becareful.

Nigeria Hotels

8 Reviews - 37 Photos
Gwarinpa Hotels
Falomo Hotels

Instant Answers: Nigeria

Comments

Nigeria Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Nigeria warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nigeria sightseeing.
Map of Nigeria