Places to eat in Africa

by tommie1212

Most Viewed Restaurants in Africa

NANDO'S: PORTUGUESE BARBEQUE

by DAO Updated Feb 5, 2013

Nandos is an international chain of restaurants that offer a great menu of freshly grilled chicken right in front of you. They use open flames to create a great taste. Nandos celebrates the distinctive tradition of Peri-Peri barbeque that was born 400 years ago when Portuguese explorers discovered Africa food and spices. The first Nandos came into being in Johannesburg in 1987 and has expanded to over 20 countries worldwide, not just Africa. The salads are fresh and you get to choose your own sauce that the chicken is marinated in. You also select how hot or (or not!) you want this to be. I have eaten at a Nandos in at least 5 countries and always had a great meal.

In Africa Nandos can be found in:
    Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Swaziland, Uganda and Zimbabwe

Favorite Dish: The Quarter Chicken Meal with medium Peri Peri with salad and rice

custcare@nandos.com

FASIKA NATIONAL RESTAURANT: WHERE CULTURE MEETS GREAT FOOD

by DAO Updated Feb 5, 2013

This place is always busy and there is a very good reason for this. Fasika rocks. It has staff dressed in different tribal dress representing Ethiopia, fantastic food, entertaining live music and dance show. You get all this and Tej too for less than $10 a person. Really. It’s closed on Monday and I would advise you ring for reservations. The waitresses bring you mouth watering food and will sometimes even dance with you at your table (pictured). Need some more Injera or sauce? No problem. This is a wholesome fun night out for everyone. Then sit back and watch and listen to music and dance from several tribal areas of the country.

If you have never experienced Ethiopian food – start here.

Favorite Dish: It’s all good! Superb quality ingredients cooked to perfection and delivered still cooking to your table! I went with a small group and we ordered several dishes and washed it all down with some strong Tej (a strong honey wine).

O PORTUGA RESTAURANT IN WINDHOEK: PORTUGUESE & ANGOLAN DELIGHT

by DAO Updated Feb 5, 2013

This place is always busy and it definitely because the food is very good. In fact, this restaurant does superb food, from an exotic and large menu. You can get a peek at your fish (pictured) before they do their magic on it. Ingredients are fresh and tasty and even the economical wines are good quality. If you are in Windhoek for 2-3 days, stop in for a great meal. The menu is massive and varied. Plenty of vegetarian options as well.

The only thing to be aware of: the staff are slow. It’s a shame because the food is excellent. Also some people smoke in here. Just give the people smoking at the next table a nasty look and they usually pack it in.

Favorite Dish: I had the Salad Niçoise for a starter (pictured) followed by an Angolan Fish Dish (also pictured) washed down with some red wine and a cold draft beer. Maybe is was more than one.

LE STYLIA - Marrakech: DINNER AT THE PALACE

by DAO Updated Jan 1, 2013

Stylia is housed in possibly the grandest home you will be allowed to in to dine in Africa. The history of this amazing building dates back to the 1400’s and has been described at a minor Royal Palace and the original home of an important judge. Every surface in this building is a work of art. Beautiful fountains bubble away in grand rooms with amazing white Tadellakt plaster walls. Amazing chandeliers reflect onto amazing wooden doors, interior balconies and beautiful carpets. As if highly decorated walls were not enough, there is an amazing amount of colour from multi-colored glass work embedded in the walls and ceilings. The final touches are the amazing Zellij tiles that just top of the absolute feeling of grandeur while you listen to the musicians and enjoy your meal.

I accidentally found Le Stylia in 1998, but they were fully booked. They did let me in to see the wondrous interiors before the first guests arrived. I found them again when I was showing my Mum around Marrakech in 2010. We were able to book a table for the next night and really enjoyed our experience. I had some nice beer, a samosa like starter, Lamb and Zucchini flavoured with cinnamon and of course – couscous.

The food is above average. For some reason this makes people give poor reviews. That would be to miss the point. Your surroundings are the real treat! This is an amazing palace and you get to enjoy great service in a grand style. The tables are laid with fine china, tablecloths and crystal. Your musicians are both talented and soothing. The food is good, the beers cold and the coffee is great afterwards.

My own Mum said – while we were still dinning – this is a once in a lifetime meal.

That’s right – my Mum recommends you dine here !

If you are here for a few days, stop by in the early afternoon, knock on the door until someone arrives, and get booked in.

Open only for dinner - Monday to Sunday From 08:00 PM To 12:00 AM

• Spa and Resort

WOK INN: CHINESE AT ACCRA AIRPORT

by DAO Written Oct 8, 2012

I first saw the Wok Inn as I came out of the airport with my bags looking for a taxi or other ground transport. I was a little surprised to see this eating establishment since it is essentially a sit down restaurant at the major exit of a large airport. I did notice it looked busy though. I did manage to finally 'Wok Inn' to this fine little establishment my last night in Accra. I had a night flight and arrived early. I was a little bit hungry and walked outside after checking my bags in. The lone staff member behind the counter was very nice and quickly organised my cold Star beer and took my order of Garlic Chicken. I heard him speak to the man in the kitchen and I could hear a wok going into action.

A few minutes later I had a lovely garlic chicken, and boiled rice. It tasted great. The dish itself was spicy both in flavour and just a slight bit of temperature. There was added hot sauce for those of you wanting a lot of heat. The chicken was fresh, the onions and peppers were full of flavour and the garlic just right. My meal was 15 Cedi (about $6 or 4 Euro).

I have to say this is actually a great little restaurant and 100 times better than any other food in the airport. Either before or after security.

So at Accra International Airport - get in here! The best food is here.

• Women's Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

CASA DIVA: WOW! GUINEA FOWL !

by DAO Updated Oct 8, 2012

When I first walked into Casa Diva for lunch, I was greeted warmly and a nice table was arranged for me. The first thing I noticed was how wonderful the décor was. The second thing I noticed was the owner, a wonderful lady named Fauziya, speaking on the phone with one of her suppliers. She was telling them that the Guinea Fowls they had been providing were too small and that they would not be using them again. That’s when I realised I was about to dine in a classy place that takes its food, atmosphere and customers seriously. My cold beer arrived swiftly and my chicken pizza was one of the best pizzas I have ever had.

Fauziya checked several times to make sure my service from her staff and my food was all in order. She then invited me to come back in the evening for their roast Guinea Fowl. How could I resist?

I didn’t.

When I arrived in the evening I saw the outside grill man making takeaway kebabs for passing customers and that looked very good. When I went inside I watched the staff at work. Wow. I was greeted warmly by a waited I had not met before. I was shown to a waiting table, small snacks appeared instantly and my drink order was taken. Only then was I given a menu to look at. Whilst I looked over the menu and waited for my beer – I saw Fauziya and here husband Larry greeting every customer. They were everywhere insuring customers were happy, that the staff were doing everything possible and that everyone was enjoying their evening. My cold beer was produced and I ordered the Guinea Fowl of course! When I went to wash my hands, I came back to find one of Casa Diva’s signature services. My beer coaster was placed on top of my beer to keep things out. Not that you ever have to worry in a restaurant that is hospital clean. Although a fly might get in here.

Fauziya saw me and came over and welcomed me back. She is a really nice lady and she spoke to me for a while. She is from the north of Ghana and she wants to make Casa Diva a fantastic restaurant where customers will love to dine again and again. Job well done Fauziya!

My waiter came to take me to my table a few minutes later and get me another beer of course. Then they brought me an absolutely huge plate of wonderful food. Delicious Guinea Fowl grilled to perfection mixed with onions and peppers. It was served with delicious spicy rice and a fresh salad. It was spicy, but in a tasty and not hot temperature wise. There was a small dish of very hot sauce served on the side so you can raise the temperature if you want to.

This is one of the best meals and restaurants in Africa. Just a totally great experience. If you only have one night in Accra Ghana – tell the taxi to bring you here.

Larry even offered to drive me back to my hotel as I was a Tourist and had been drinking beer. They are just awesome people and the staff they employee are great as well.

Favorite Dish:
    Roast (and grilled) Guinea Fowl with some ice cold Star beers, and the free snacks they bring you. Also great pizzas.

SCUM !: HOTEL PALOMA - ACCRA, GHANA

by DAO Updated Oct 8, 2012

It is not just the staff who are scum. The food is s.hit as well. The ''The Pataase” is a nice looking restaurant owned by a hotel chain called 'Paloma'. (I will never use any of their hotels now.) It has a nice outside, covered dinning area that should be ideal for a romantic meal or just a few beers. Service was slow and ignorant. Having said that, if you are systematically ripping off customers- who gives a damn really? I ordered some sort of kebab starter and was presented - after asking if they had forgotten my food - with some diseased chicken chunks so deep fried that I almost broke a tooth. It was so hard I could not break off a small piece to feed one of the cats (pictured). I then ordered a dish, well tried to. Palava sauce with goat and yam. When I asked how the yam was prepared, I was hissed at by the waitress. Nice. It was ok. Not sure if the advertised meat was in it, but ok.

So then the bill after chasing staff for everything. And it didn't add up. Too much actually.

My bill had a large charge for carrot juice. I mean some very expensive carrot juice! I kept thinking this was a deliberate overcharge. Then I looked at my guidebook and it mentioned 'odd items appearing on the bill'. You think service is slow and bizarre here? Ask them to take the carrot juice off!

So if you want over-price, bad food, injure your dental work, have staff steal your money - and - talk to you like a jackass..... eat here.

Nothing.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

CASTELLI RESTAURANT: OVERPRICED AND RUDE - ETHIOPIA

by DAO Written Oct 6, 2012

I really wanted to eat here. This is a top Italian Restaurant right in the heart of Piazza. When I did go in, the owner looked down her nose at me. One of the staff had to practically beg her to let me come it and eat. I guess they don’t like t-shirts. It looked nice, but then I got the menu. I have never seen a menu priced in such a way to just rip customers off. All the prices were either 100 Birr, or 150 Birr.. All of them! Just long columns of the same price. I have never seen anything so blatant in my life. I got up and walked out on easily the MOST expensive restaurant in Ethiopia! You can get great Italian food in Addis Ababa for half the price or less easily.

AL DONALDS: FAKE MCDONALDS IN TOGO

by DAO Updated Sep 30, 2012

This is a somewhat famous imitation of the world famous McDonald’s restaurants. They serve burgers and soft drinks as you can probably guess. They even imitate the famous ‘arch’. I am guessing that trademark laws are not strong in Togo. So if you have a need for fast food and a photo opportunity – here you are.

LE LIVINGSTONE:: AGGRESSIVE AND RUDE- COTONOU, BENIN

by DAO Written Jul 13, 2012

I had read about this place as being an ex-pat heaven in the middle of an ex-pat area and decided I would go for a beer and maybe eat here. I wish I had not. I pulled up on my motorcycle taxi to see a packed outside terrace at the front. I made my way inside for a beer and a seat. After a long period of trying 3 different ladies to order a beer- I sat down with my nice Flag beer. That's when it all went wrong. I snapped 2 pictures of the bar and then one of my beer in front of a little gnome character in a funny uniform.

"What are you doing!?"
    "Why are you taking pictures!?"

I never want to see a man that big and that angry ever come running at me in any situation for the rest of my life. I honestly thought he might do me or my camera (or both) harm. I made the mistake of being shocked and silent and this seem to make the big man more angry. It took me a few seconds to even connect him with the restaurant. When I tried to explain he let his facial expressions know I was very unwelcome. He watched me until I finished my beer and left.

I find it hard to believe that no one ever celebrated a birthday or had a night out in this place with a flash camera before. I have been treated better by armed guards after taking an accidental picture of a Presidential Palace before.

This was the only aggression I ever had in Benin. All the other businesses I went into were very nice. Some even posed with my VT flag.

So if you are a Tourist - please find somewhere else. Its shocking that any establishment serving customers would become angry because a customer took a photo of the beer they just paid for.

Favorite Dish:
    I didn't even get a menu!

• Work Abroad

LE CORSAIRE: IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE NIGHT - ORAN, ALGERIA

by DAO Written Apr 23, 2012

You need to get here a bit early - when they say fresh fish - they mean fresh fish. They are also busy. Because the fish is so good! It really pays to speak French here to explain how you want your fish prepared. I didn't, but I had a wonderful meal. This a very family oriented restaurant as well. They do not serve alcohol, but have plenty of soft drink options. In case you speak no French at all, you can just point in the case and leave the rest to them. My salad starter was fresh and delicious. My Dorade fish was amazing. A simple but great restaurant. If you are only here for one night in Oran, eat here and sample local seafood and life.

They even deliver ! And you can make reservations on their website.

Their website has a good map, a sample of the menu and a few photos (see page 2!)

Dorade fish!

PILI PILI: MOST EXCELLENT - COTONOU, BENIN

by DAO Written Apr 23, 2012

My guidebook said this was a good restaurant and I must say I had a nice meal. The surroundings are an airy tastefully decorated, open area with some nice ceiling fans. The temperature was exactly right. The service was friendly and I was given a nice dish of popcorn and peanuts while I waited for my food. A nice cold Flag beer arrived and I managed a few postcards while my dinner was prepared.

My starter, a mixed tuna salad, was fresh and tasty. I ordered the Poulet Yassa, having absolutely no idea what it was. What a great choice! This is a chicken dish from Senegal. It is made by marinating the chicken with onions and lemon or lime (lime in this case). The chicken itself was a little on the thin side, but reflect the local chickens I guess. Once I had it off the bone and mixed with my rice I was amazed at just how good it was. They also have a good wine selection and several desserts made from local fruit. Main meals are around 4700CFA (7€, $9).

All in all, a nice meal.

They are open for lunch and dinner.

Please note: If your motorcycle taxi does not know the restaurant, ride with another. Its down a side street. My driver took me straight there for 250CFA.

Favorite Dish:
    A niced mixed salad with tuna to start. Poulet Yassa with rice for a main meal. All washed down with some Flag beer.

• DAO's Profile Photo

OUTJO CAFÉ-BACKEREI - Namibia: MEAT PIES IN THE MORNING !

by DAO Written Nov 25, 2011

If you are on a road trip or early start from Outjo (Northern Namibia), you can stop here for a quick pastry or a hot morning meat pie. They also do simple meals like schnitzels, burgers, and chicken. In fact it seemed to be the only dinning option here. I enjoyed a few hot meat rolls early one morning on my way out of the village. Tasty. In fact they have the only 'Meisterbrief" baker in Namibia. If that’s not good enough they also have a Beer Garden and Internet.

Favorite Dish:
    2 hot meat pies and a diet coke - to go!

• Motorcycle

FRESH TOUCH RESTAURANT: THE BEST - Harer, Ethiopia

by DAO Written Nov 19, 2011

I found this restaurant just after it first opened. It looked like a snack bar. When the fantastic food arrived at my table, I found out just how wrong I was. When I entered I just wanted a fast food lunch. I was warnly wleocmed and a menu arrived. It was full of great Ethiopian specialties. They also did have a very good looking, and smelling, pizza oven. I ordered tibs (1st photo) and my guide ordered Bozena Shiro (2nd photo). Wow! It even looked georgeous. Absolutely fantastic. It was so amazingly great I came back one evening for dinner and have a lovely and lively evening.

Fresh Touch has a pleasant courtyard with outdoor dinning (recommended!) on a covered porch area. They offer coffee and a full coffee ceremony, a full bar, snack food and a full range of Ethiopian dishes – including a full Vegetarian menu. And if you just want a pizza - they are highly recommended here.

If you are out and about on a hot day, Fresh Touch is a great place for a cold drink. They have a well deserved reputation for ice cold drinks. This extends to the evening when they serve ice cold Ethiopian beers, great food on the tables outside. An absolutely fantastic experience.

The staff could not be nicer and you simply have to ask or snap your fingers (considered polite in Ethiopia) and everything is taken care of.

If you are looking for a good drinking den at night – it is a popular venue.

Favorite Dish:
    Marhabarawi and some cold St. George’s beer. This is the 3rd photo. 'Marhabarawi' means a bit of everything on Injera. You get both meat and vegetarian dishes.

• Beer Tasting

HIRUT RESTAURANT - Harer, Ethiopia: THE REAL DEAL

by DAO Updated Nov 7, 2011

If you manage to visit the historical city of Harer in Ethiopia, make sure you have at least one meal here. They are the real deal for a large meal that’s full of flavour and still won’t cost a lot. They specialise in Ethiopian dishes, but I like a lot of food. Especially if it’s good Ethiopian cuisine. The main picture is my meal. Just ask for ‘Marhaberawi’. I am not sure how it is actually spelled, but it means ‘brig me a little of everything!’. All served on Injera of course. You get meat (beef and/or lamb), chicken, egg, vegetables and several sauces depending on what dish they put a portion of onto your big meal! Just looking at the photos I can see tibs, kitfo, doro wat, fir fir, vegetables and salad.

It’s not gourmet, but good solid food. Throw in a large gin, a few Harar beers and you have a good feast.

The restaurant itself is large and airy. There is a large terrace area if you want to dine outside. Inside they have a coffee ceremony area, music and even a sort of dance floor towards the rear.

The staff are friendly, helpful and a good laugh. I was made to feel very welcome.

Harar is not blessed with a lot of restaurants, but Hirut was good enough I ate here twice during my stay in Harar. Its god fun, good value and a good time.

Get in there!

Please take 2 notes down:
    1) They have many great tasting vegetarian dishes
    2) The non-Ethiopian dishes are not great looking. One of the party I ate with ordered fried chicken and it didn’t look great (last photo)

Favorite Dish:
    Any Ethiopian dish and a big gin!

• Beer Tasting

3988 Reviews - 9544 Photos
Lagos Hotels
120 Reviews - 233 Photos

Instant Answers: Africa

Comments

Africa Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Africa restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Africa sightseeing.
Map of Africa

Popular Countries in Africa

South Africa Restaurants  Morocco Restaurants  Egypt Restaurants  Tunisia Restaurants  Kenya Restaurants  Ghana Restaurants  Tanzania Restaurants  Ethiopia Restaurants  Mauritius Restaurants  Namibia Restaurants  Nigeria Restaurants  Zimbabwe Restaurants  Uganda Restaurants  Sudan Restaurants  Madagascar Restaurants  Algeria Restaurants  Mozambique Restaurants  Seychelles Restaurants  Zambia Restaurants  Cape Verde Restaurants  The Gambia Restaurants  Botswana Restaurants  Cameroon Restaurants  Mali Restaurants  Democratic Republic of Congo Restaurants  Benin Restaurants  Libya Restaurants  Malawi Restaurants  Senegal Restaurants  Rwanda Restaurants  Angola Restaurants  Togo Restaurants  Cote D'Ivoire Restaurants  Mauritania Restaurants  Djibouti Restaurants  Burkina Faso Restaurants  Eritrea Restaurants  Somalia Restaurants  Swaziland Restaurants  Niger Restaurants  Lesotho Restaurants  Western Sahara Restaurants  Burundi Restaurants  Republic of Congo Restaurants  Sierra Leone Restaurants  Saint Helena Restaurants  Reunion Restaurants  Gabon Restaurants  Guinea Restaurants  Liberia Restaurants

More Countries in Africa