Unique Places in Prefegitura ya Gisenyi

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Prefegitura ya Gisenyi

• nsbm's Profile Photo

The lake Journey

by nsbm Updated Apr 4, 2011

Starting from Gisenyi i vetntured out with the pirouge owner who claimed to be a national swim champ for Rwanda and his younger boatswain. The water was not as calm as i expected but the craft made good speed. First stopping at a fishermans isle in the lake the traditional boeat and net tackles were seen. the next stop was half way thru the journey at some larger islands. The local kids came out to meet the 'muzungu' = whiteman ; in my case foreigner. I tended to one with a sore on his foot as i had some first aid stuff. From that moment i was revered by all. His father offered me bananas for a routine simple medical manouvere that would have beeen otherwise unattainable ,save only in Goma across the border. The warmth and appreciation made me thankful for my hippocratic oath.
    The journey because of a minor fault in the boat took 7hours!!!!!!!! otherwise it would have been two. Check yor boats seaworthiness before embarkation. Starngely the day before a ferry had sunk on the same lake across in Goma drowning several hundreds...be warned. Anyways I had nothing else to do on my iteniary and this in itself was my adventure, I saw the sun set and the moon rise on entering Kibuye Bay.

Fishermen's floats Giste & company-isle folk Isle on Kivu seaworthy pirogue!! beach on an isle stop
    • Photography

Top Prefegitura ya Gisenyi Hotels

Gisenyi Hotels
3 Reviews - 26 Photos

Instant Answers: Prefegitura ya Gisenyi

Comments

Prefegitura ya Gisenyi Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Prefegitura ya Gisenyi off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Prefegitura ya Gisenyi sightseeing.
Map of Prefegitura ya Gisenyi