Dakar What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Dakar

• brendareed's Profile Photo

What to pack for Dakar

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pants/Skirts: Dakar is extremely hot and humid, but the local culture frowns upon women showing too much skin. I packed modest and loose fitting capris to not offend anyone yet still be comfortable in the heat. Longer skirts are also acceptable. While we did see some tourists in short-shorts, they tend to stand out in a crowd. Of note – men can wear whatever they like, including shorts, although most of the local men wore long pants.

Hat: You should have some sort of protection from the hot sun, which shines all day and often we found ourselves in areas with little shady spots.

Sandals: Unless you are walking a lot, I would recommend sandals for your feet because of the heat. The locals seem to wear these quite a bit. I wore sturdier walking shoes so my feet wouldn’t ache at the end of the day.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bug spray/Sunscreen: Both of these are musts!

Miscellaneous: Cash: Credit cards are rarely accepted, except in the touristy areas. If you plan to tour like a local, bring cash to exchange or an ATM card to pick up CFA once in the city. Taxis, restaurants, shops, and tour sites most all accept only CFA, although we occasionally saw signs accepting Euros or dollars.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• heights13's Profile Photo

Must protect against malaria

by heights13 Written Sep 11, 2005

Miscellaneous: Everyone should take the necessary steps to prevent malaria. I however did not. I used repellent with Deet however, I received an insect bite on my last day. I had to have unnecessary blood work done when I returned home to confirm I did not contract anything. Save yourself the worry and prepare in advance if at all possible.

• lemonde7's Profile Photo

Take care from the sun and mosquitos!!!

by lemonde7 Written Sep 7, 2004

Luggage and bags: Don't accept help from somebody, because they ask you money

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Comfortable shoes and clothes are required if you don't want to suffer due to the warm

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Mosquito Repellent is expensive, don't forget it!
    Yellow vaccine is import and paludism treatment!

Goree from Dakar

Instant Answers: Dakar

Comments

Dakar What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Dakar what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dakar sightseeing.