Dakar Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Dakar

Yum Yum Pizza & Donut: Yum Yum Pizza & Donut

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

Daughter-in-law wanted to find Yum Yum Pizza since it had been one of her favorite delivery foods while living in Dakar. Unfortunately, her home was slightly beyond the point where delivery was allowed and after a few deliveries, the restaurant refused to deliver to her anymore. So we went on a quest to find it, which didn’t prove too difficult.

Yum Yum Pizza specializes in pizza and it was quite good. It reminded us all of the local pizza delivery places back in the States in quality and quantity. We each got a small pizza with various toppings so we could sample each other’s – DIL got a pepperoni, Hubby a BBQ beef, and I got a supreme with meats and veggies. They were quite good and we enjoyed our meal sitting out on the terrace watching the people go by.

Prices were not bad at 3,000 CFA ($6) each and we were plenty full by the end of the meal. Plus, DIL was happy to have another go at her favorite pizza place. I would recommend this place, especially if you have children or are just looking for some pizza like you’d get from home.

XoCCo Gelato Lab: XoCCo Gelato Lab

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

This gelato shop is located in the Sea Plaza along the coastal highway, Rue de la Corniche Ouest, in Dakar. There is a nice variety of tasty gelatos to choose from, along with a selection of baked goods, teas, and coffees.

Hubby and Daughter-in-Law each had two scoops and were excited at the quality. Of course, DIL had been here before and was just excited to return. I had a small bite of Hubby’s vanilla gelato and can attest to the excellent taste (I don’t usually eat ice creams).

Prices for the shop were a bit higher than other places, but the Sea Plaza tends to be upscale shops so I guess it fits. Two scoops in a cup ran 2,000 CFA ($4).

Le Recif des Almadies: Le Recif des Almadies

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

This was a nice restaurant at the westernmost point of Dakar (and the continent of Africa). The covered outside veranda overlooking the Atlantic Ocean was pleasant, although it was still very hot, but the restaurant ensured fans were blowing our way. Daughter-in-Law had been here several times and highly recommended it. So it gave us a reason to take a walking tour of Les Almadies, building up our hunger for a nice meal.

The staff was extremely efficient and pleasant. We were there in the slower part of the day – late afternoon – before the dinner rush, so we were the only ones in the restaurant for most of our visit.

Hubby tried the Senegalese chicken with onions, served with rice. DIL had her favorite fish dish served with fries. And I had the skewered beef, also served with fries. We all sampled each others’ meals and I can say that they were very good. For drinks, Hubby had beer, DIL had juice, and I had water. We opted to not have dessert since Hubby and DIL were planning to get some ice cream at the nearby shop.

The final bill came to 25,000 CFA ($50) for the three of us, which we found to be reasonable given the quantity of food and level of service we received.

I was unable to find an address or website for this restaurant, although the phone number is shown in my photograph of the sign. The location is at the very end of Route des Almadies – if you were driving and didn’t turn, you would literally run right into it. The sign shown in my photo can be seen from the street. According to the sign, it is open daily from 1200 to 2330 (noon to 11:30 p.m.)

Classic Burger: Classic Burger

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

This really isn’t a restaurant to eat at, but rather a delivery place for a quick meal when you aren’t able to leave the house. Daughter-in-law called them one evening after we had been out in the heat quite a bit and we really didn’t feel like leaving the house again. She has ordered from them a good bit and told us that the chicken was good, but the beef was not that good. So we ordered a large bucket of chicken and fries.

She used their website to place the order and was waiting for the confirmation text message when she got a call telling us the bucket of chicken was no longer available. Quickly changing the order, we ordered chicken sandwiches and some wings. Again, the phone call came saying they didn’t have wings. Third time is a charm – our order of three chicken sandwiches and fries was received and the confirmation text message arrived. Within 45 minutes the food was at the door.

Honestly, it wasn’t the best food I’ve had and I probably wouldn’t recommend them. But it was definitely worth it so we could remain in the air conditioned apartment rather than face the high heat and humidity again that night (plus deal with the taxi drivers). Sometimes you just forego quality for convenience. Prices were higher than I’d normally pay compared to the States, but everything in Dakar is expensive so the cost was on target for the area.

Eric Kayser Bakery: Eric Kayser Bakery

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

Senegal used to be a French colony and the influences of the French still remain, most notably in the language. However, we were treated to Eric Kaysser, a traditional French boulangerie (bakery) just down the street from the Presidential Palace. Daughter-in-Law is well aware of my passion for French baked goods as well as enjoying them herself, so she wanted to take me to this bakery, a place in which she has spent many hours (free wi-fi) working when she simply wanted a change of pace.

As we entered the bakery, it was clear that this was going to be good. All the delights of a French bakery were there and the smells were wonderful. We made our selections – I chose a chocolate éclair while Hubby had some ice cream and DIL had a Rocher au lait – and sat down at one of the tables. Prices were comparable to any bakery in Paris and our treats were very nice.

From the tables we ordered some local juices which Daughter-in-Law was anxious for us to try – a Baobab juice and a hibiscus juice. Both were completely different from each other: the baobab juice was thick and slightly sweet with a consistency similar to pineapple juice. It was served at room temperature but some ice had been put in the glass. I preferred the hibiscus juice better – maybe because it was cold – but it was red and sweet which reminded me of a fruit punch.

We noticed the men at the next table were having a full meal (some sort of pasta dishes), so Eric Kayser is also a place for lunch if you are looking for more than a treat. I can’t say how good the hot food is, but the bakery items were fantastic!

Nono Café: Île de Gorée

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

Daughter-in-law wanted us to try a Senegalese burger which is sold on Goree Island at the Nono Café. Not your typical burger but quite tasty all the same – a thin beef patty served on a bun but instead of your usual lettuce and tomato, the burger is topped with a fried egg and French fries. There is also some sort of “special sauce” – I’m not quite sure what it is, but I think it had both ketchup and mayonnaise in it.

The Nono Café is on the beach near the ferry dock. It has a large outside eating area (I didn’t see an indoor restaurant) covered with tarps to protect from the sun. The fans were blowing so we enjoyed the respite from the heat and sun as we waiting for our lunch, drinking some juice. Prices were quite reasonable with our entire meal and drinks for three people costing around 10,000 CFA ($20). Service was quick and friendly. While we had burgers, we noticed others having some yummy looking rice dishes.

Later in the day, before our ferry left, we returned to the Nono Café for a quick break from the sun and a large bottle of water.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Restaurant Keur Serigne Fallou: Excellent cheap restaurant in the city center

by lotharscheer Updated Apr 8, 2012

Very colorfull decor and excellent local food for a reasonable price (maincourse 1500 CFA), the self apointed guides whitch you will have around you will most likely tell you it is closed (no commision for them)

Favorite Dish: Riz Poisson Rouge

Restaurant Keur Serigne Fallou Minist��re du Commerce Dakar Dakar Restaurant Keur Serigne Fallou
    • Architecture

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Lagoon 1

by SirRichard Written Oct 7, 2008

This excellent restaurant was really out of my budget, but it was my last day and I had some money left, so I decided to give myself a gift. This sea products restaurant is located on a pier, near the Lagoon hotel. You can seat at the pier or inside, where there is a typical sea-style decoration. You can even go for a swim while you wait (I did).

Favorite Dish: Mango & shrimps salad and some fresh fish.

The restaurant pier. Goree in the background Lagoon restaurant entrance Mango shrimp salad Fish and rice
    • Spa and Resort
    • Luxury Travel

• xerg's Profile Photo

La Fourchette: La Fourchette-- the best spot in the city.

by xerg Updated Apr 16, 2008

This lovely, stylish and delicious restaurant would feel right at home in Manhattan were it not half as expensive and twice as welcoming as most you find there. That being said, it is "tres cher" by West African standards, clocking in at 6,000 to 10,000 per principle plate. You get what you pay for, however, with a creative menu stacked with all sorts of interesting dishes from the world over. You can have sushi as an appetizer and a lamb tajine as your main dish and top it all off with chocolate fondue. They seem to focus on Japanese and Tex Mex cusine which to me, having lived in West Africa for a year without access to either, is a great joy. The ambiance is very nice- modern simplicity with a pan-gaeaic flair. To top it off, the staff are friendly and professional (a rarity in these parts). The owners are often there and are very friendly, which gives it a bit of a down-home feel. If you're not on a backpacking budget, it's a must!

• africateach's Profile Photo

Ali Baba: Great Hamburgers!!!

by africateach Written Dec 3, 2004

Ok, so you are stumbling home from the bar and you just have to eat!!! Well, Ali Baba has that kind of food for you!!! The people inside are friendly and serve hamburgers till 2am and fast too!

A must visit if you are in the area for anytime food!!! Not very local, but fills you up nicely. Went there couple of times!!!!

Favorite Dish: Burgers are loaded with all the good stuff and big too!!!

• africateach's Profile Photo

Indigo Cafe/Restaurant: Huge Eggs for the Day!!!

by africateach Written Nov 22, 2004

The food was so good, we had to go back twice in the same day!!!

Walking around Dakar wanting to find some new little restaurant was not difficult, but one with good price and ambiance was harder. Walking along, we spotted this sign and went in. The woman there was very nice! She brought us our food in no time flat!

Favorite Dish: It was a huge plate that was covered with a fried egg! I mean this sucker was big! Good too! Shredded cheese, spices and cooked to perfection. Served with juice, bread, tea and a big chocolate crossiant! Very good breakfast for a day of trekkin around the market!

Lunch was even better. I had beef skewers with tomato, onion and pineapple on it. Accompanied (of course) by FRITS!!! Nice sauce on the beef and they even gave me my own bottle of Ketchup

good eats

• brancolini's Profile Photo

Chez Loutcha: Pan-african specialities

by brancolini Written Sep 3, 2004

Held by a Capeverdian family, this restaurant has an impressive list of african specialities, and even portuguese recipes.
    Set in a very informal and lively atmosphere, it is a must see.

Favorite Dish: Arroz de Polvo (Octopus Rice)

• dunearn20's Profile Photo

View on the sea

by dunearn20 Written Sep 27, 2007

A nice restaurant is located on the island la Goree, I forgot the name but you can see it on the very right of the photo

Instant Answers: Dakar

Comments

Dakar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dakar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dakar sightseeing.