Dakar Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Dakar

• globetrott's Profile Photo

the local way of transportation

by globetrott Written Jul 11, 2014

This very Special type of "local way of Transportation" was one of my favorite subjects to take photos, although it was mostly not easy to do it without beeing catched.
    My favorite was the mother with the Baby on the back and the bag on top of her head in my main picture here.

take a guided bustour

by globetrott Written Jul 11, 2014

Of course Dakar is quite a safe place and walking around on your own should be possible without any severe problems, but in case that you intend to take lots of photos of the local people it really might be a good idea to go by a guided bustour like I did, so I could take lots of photos out of the bus, mostly without beeing detected at all by my "victims".
    So I did not have to fear any discussions about the permission for taking Fotos for religious reasons etc.

by cruise to Dakar

by globetrott Updated Jul 11, 2014

I came onboard of the MSC Sinfonia, a giant ship with a capacaty of 2000 passangers and there was enough dock-space for various such ships in the port of Dakar.
    Passport- & customs-procedures there were easy and relaxed and the only controls took place onboard of the ship by the ship when we returned, as they are always searching for bottles of alcohol that passangers have bought for a cheap price in a port in order to save some money in the bars of the ship.
    It is also quite easy and safe to walk into town on your own, as the port is almost in the centre of the old town of Dakar with lots of sights to be reached by foot.

looking from the ship to Goree island

• ardelean's Profile Photo

Airport transfers

by ardelean Updated Dec 24, 2005

The airport was chaotic, both on arrival and departure. If you are going to work, get your host to meet you or arrive in daylight. The heat and noise can be quite intimidating, especially if French is your third language!
    I negotiated with a taxi driver, and then another person jumped in the back seat and announced he was my bodyguard. Of course he wanted some money when we arrived. We went through areas of the city with no lights, except for lamps and people cooking on stoves in the street. It was quite scary for a first experience, but I asrrived safely at my hotel in little time.

• Work Abroad

Flying to Dakar

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

We flew to Dakar on an Iberia flight from our Madrid layover. When booking the flights, I had difficulty finding anything that didn’t arrive in the evening (or depart later in the evening on our return home). We arrived at 9:15 p.m. after an uneventful flight with a less than full aircraft in which Hubby and I both had empty seats around us. We had a hot dinner on the flight – a vegetarian pasta dish, salad, roll, cake, and I had white wine with my meal.

Traveling at night gave us an interesting view from the airplane as we flew along the west coast of Africa – it was dark – completely dark most of the time. There were very few lights and, when we did see some, it was typically isolated. Only when we got closer to Dakar did we see the well-lit city of St. Louis in Senegal before our final approach.

After safely landing, we were transferred to a bus which led us to the terminal. Because of the Ebola issues in nearby countries, the Dakar International Airport took the temperatures of all passengers upon arrival at the terminal before we were processed through passport control.

• brendareed's Profile Photo

Ferry to Île de Gorée (Goree Island)

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

Île de Gorée is an island not far from the port of Dakar. To visit the island, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, you must take the ferry, which departs the port regularly throughout the day.

We arrived at the port by taxi and were immediately approached by tour operators and people selling sunglasses and hats. After we went through the port gate, we were left alone with the other passengers. Daughter-in-law purchased our tickets, which came to 15,000 CFA for three round-trip tickets; although I am not sure of the individual price since Hubby and my tickets cost more than hers (she got the local price).

We boarded the ferry and opted to stay outside on the deck to enjoy the view rather than sit inside on the benches. While the view wasn’t much as we were headed out of the port (the smells weren’t great either!), once we were in the open water, it was beautiful with Dakar behind us and Île de Gorée ahead of us. The one-way journey took about 15 minutes and, with the high heat and humidity, the sea breezes felt wonderful.

Be sure to save your ticket after boarding because you will need to show it again on your return journey.

Driving in Dakar

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

So you want to drive in Dakar? My recommendation is: don’t! Leave it to those who drive here all the time. By the looks of the beat up taxis and other vehicles, it seems to me that one takes quite a risk if they chose to rent a car and drive in the city. I saw very few nice cars, free of damage.

The other reason to let someone else drive is because the people are simply crazy – not only the drivers, but the pedestrians that simply walk across the four-lane highways whenever they feel like it! The highways have quite a few speed bumps to slow traffic down, but what we noticed was the bumps were more like starting and finishing lines in some sort of mystery race – as soon as the driver gets over the hump, he floors the gas getting the car up to high speeds quickly, only to slam on the breaks as he approaches the next hump (or a pedestrian who gets in his way).

Another thing to keep in mind is the street sellers that come up to your car to sell you things – anything you could want (water, tissues, phone cards, peanuts, etc.). Similar to the sellers who continue to walk beside you, these sellers will walk beside the car if you are in traffic. As hot as it was, it was easier to keep the windows rolled up while in traffic. A sure sign that even to locals don’t like it – as we approached one area in our taxi, our driver locked all the doors to the car.

There were times when it was easier for me to just close my eyes than watch the roads!

Buses

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

There are several bus systems in Dakar, although we did not use any of them. The cheapest and most interesting is Car Rapide, the colorful little buses which pick up people from all around the town. You can easily spot these brightly painted buses which cost about 100 CFA to ride. Getting into the bus is interesting since there is only the door in the back of the bus, which one must climb up or be pulled into (and we witnessed this occurring as the bus was moving!). You pay the guy on the back of the bus (literally on the back of the bus since they simply hold on and ride outside, standing on the bumper). While I am sure there is a system and bus routes, we had difficulty figuring this out and it seems mostly locals use these buses.

There is a more modern bus system (Dakar Dem Dikk) which has standard bus stops and numbered routes. While not a plenteous as the colorful little buses, this seems to be a safer option and one that most tourists would feel comfortable using. Fares are 150 CFA. Check out the website for routes.

Taxis

by brendareed Written Nov 2, 2014

The yellow and black taxis in a wide variety of conditions can be seen everywhere. We rode in some that were meticulously cleaned and spruced up, while others were in worse condition. There was one that I moved to the center of the back seat since I was pretty sure my door was going to fly open!

The taxi drivers are nice and trying to make a living. If you walk along the street, they will toot their horn as if to ask, “Do you need a ride?” You can either ignore or shake your head no. If you need a taxi, simply stand by the road and within minutes one will pull over.

Before you get into the taxi – let me repeat – before you get into the taxi, negotiate your price since there are no meters. Daughter-in-law often would haggle for several minutes before the driver came down in price to what she knew was the correct fare. If you cannot get the fare you want, simply say no and tell them you’ll find another taxi. They usually drop their fare at that point.

If possible, have exact change since oftentimes the driver will not have change. This is debatable whether they actually have change or are just trying to get a little extra money in the process. Daughter-in-law keeps small bills (500, 1000, and 2000 CFA) on hand for taxis.

Camel

by kaloz Written Nov 17, 2008

A highlight was seeing this camel on the beach. Camels are the traditional way to get around in the Sahara. Of course we did not stop and take rides or even see the camel up close. There were too many of us for one poor camel, so there was no money to be made by stopping.

Ship of the Desert

Luxury Bus

by kaloz Written Nov 17, 2008

Lac Rose is a good distance from the port, at least an hour and a half, so it was nice to have transportation to and from in a luxury bus with air conditioning, even if it did not provide adventure. Along the way I made another Brasilian friend, Thereza.

Thereza on the Bus

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Dakar Railway station

by SirRichard Written Oct 7, 2008

Dakar's Railway Station is a nice colonial style building, worth a quick visit if you take the Goree island ferry (it's just in front of the harbour). There is nothing really impressive insie though. There are few trains leaving from here, most of them to the border with Mali. Once a week there is the famous Dakar-Bamako train, that takes more than 3 days and leaves whichever day it arrives. So no booking in advance, just go in the morning, ask the Boss (you will find him at the bar) and see if the train may leave that day...

Dakar railway station
    • Trains

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Dakar to Ziguichor and Cap Skiring by boat

by lotharscheer Updated Jan 20, 2012

Every friday and tuesday, departure at 8 pm (check in between 3 and 7 pm), arrival at 10 am in Ziguinchor, 15500 CFA for a reclining chair, from 18500 CFA for a bed.
    Returning at 3pm every thursday and sunday.
    From there to Cap Skiring by a Sept Place (shared taxi), 1700 CFA about 1 hour.

Aline Sito�� Diatta Aline Sito�� Diatta Ziguinchor Ziguinchor Ziguinchor

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Ethiopian airlines

by SirRichard Written Oct 7, 2008

After Dakar my next destination was Bamako, in Mali. Going there by bus is long and hard, including a change of buses in the border. Train is even harder, just once a week and takes 3 days. So I decided to take a plane. I reserved it in advance with Ethiopian Airlines, which make Dakar-Addis, stopping in Bamako. Ethiopian is one of the best african airlines. The round trip was about 300 euros.

Ethiopian airlines plane

Holland America to Dakar

by kaloz Written Nov 17, 2008

I was on a tri continent cruise. A cruise is like a sampler, you will touch many ports, but the time spent in each is very limited. It is a good way to sample destinations so that you can plan a better trip, or avoid a destination if you don't like it. It is easy because you don't have to find places to sleep or eat, and there are plenty of distractions on board.

A Stevadore

Instant Answers: Dakar

Comments

Dakar Transportation

Reviews and photos of Dakar transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dakar sightseeing.