Safety Tips in Senegal

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Senegal

• cadzand's Profile Photo

Take the time....

by cadzand Written Mar 21, 2003

Keep in mind that Senegal (african) way of life is not european or american way of life. Try to adapt yourself to their customs. I love the african proverb : we have the time, you have the watch.... It explains a lot of the difference between ours and their way of live and I'm convinced they are probably right.....

• Adventure Travel

• QUIETMONKEY's Profile Photo

Airport hustlers and Scams

by QUIETMONKEY Updated Jan 19, 2003

When you wait for your bags at the airport, you may have volunteers who appear to help you. They'll get your bags off the belt before you do and lead you to a cab. They're trying to get your cab fare before the gang of others at the door do. And its a gang of jostling people aggresively trying to get your cab fare. Its not malicious, they're just poor. But, there is one character who will show you a badge from "CID"or such, and ask for your passport and bags. His scam is to okay your bagage and passport for a fee . There is no such thing in Senegal. After you got thru Customs and your passport is stamped and your in the baggage claim, no official will ask for it again.The Lonely Planet author paid this fee and was not aware of this. I meant to write them but I also have been meaning to write my memoirs. The L.P. also recommended a local book/pamphlet to get when there. I spent a bit of an effort to find it, and found it was all in French.The L.P. is not update on all things there. But they are correct in that the aggresive street hawkers can ruin your enjoyment. They will follow you for blocks after youve said NO many times. You'll get to hate these poeple. You want to get out of Dakar and visit other sites if this is a problem for you. The L.P. has good locations to visit outside of Dakar. If you go with a tour group you may have less of a problem in these areas..

• Pickpockets in Dakar

by jeremy73 Updated Nov 12, 2002

Beware of pickpockets in Dakar, particularly on Ave Pompidou and down near the port and railway station. Don´t carry any small notes or loose change in unbuttoned pockets unless you´re prepared to lose it (as I did!)

Monkey attacks in Niokolo Koba

by johnsakura Updated Nov 2, 2004

On my Warning Or Danger Tips, I think there is no need to describe. I think a title is all you need to understand the rest.

AIDS

Weird brigdes in Niokolo Koba, crocodiles above

by johnsakura Written Nov 2, 2004

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Children turning violent asking for things

Crocodiles in Niokolo Koba

Strong waves in St. Louis beaches

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Animals crossing the road constantly

• Wafro's Profile Photo

Don't get sick.

by Wafro Updated Jun 26, 2004

When you’re seriously sick and you need medical treatments, you’ll better arrange your flight home.
    The hospitals and medical care aren’t the same as in Belgium.
    Safety above everything.

28 Reviews - 68 Photos
Parc National du Delta du Saloum Hotels
18 Reviews - 30 Photos

Instant Answers: Senegal

Comments

Senegal Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Senegal warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Senegal sightseeing.
Map of Senegal