Mahé Restaurants

My wife and her Seybrew ( Feb 2011)
    Two Beautiful Views at Breakfast
    Breakfast Pastry

Most Recent Restaurants in Mahé

Mahek: Delicious Indian Food

by cjg1 Updated Oct 3, 2012

My wife enjoying dinner (2/24/11)

Mahek is the only Indian restaurant on the island of Mahe as well as the only restaurant with air conditioning. The restaurant is located in the Coral Strand Hotel behind their main dining room/buffet. The restaurant is small and cozy with tables scattered throughout. We arrived a little after 7pm and were greeted warmly by the hostess. We were asked to choose the table of our choice and we decided to take on by the window for a nice ocean view.

The menu has a nice selection of meat,chicken, fish and vegetarian items to choose from. I decided to have the Lamb Saag and my wife chose the Aloo Palek. We also ordered some garlic naan and some Jasmin rice for the table. When ordering we were asked if we wanted mild, medium or spicy for our dishes. I went for medium and Liz chose mild. As we enjoyed our water we were able to watch our food being prepared through the large glass partitions of the kitchen.

Our food arrived in record time and presented nicely in small bronze colored bowls. From the first bite, I loved my dish. The meat was very tender and the sauce was perfectly spiced. The Garlic Naan was also quite good and perfect for dipping in the sauce. My wife was very happy with her Aloo Palek and said it was on par with our favorite place back home.

Neither of us could finish our whole meal but we were so satisfied and happy. The food was excellent and the prices were very affordable. This was the best meal of the trip in my opinion for both food and service.

Favorite Dish: The Lamb Saag was excellent; perfectly spiced and tender meat. This was one of my favorite meals of the vacation.

Baobab: The Local Pizza Joint

by cjg1 Updated Oct 3, 2012

Enjoying the beach view

Baobab is the local pizza joint. It's located right on Beau Vallon Beach with a street entrance as well as a beach entrance on the sand. I had heard great reviews of this place from fellow travelers and had to try it out.

My wife and I decided to walk down the beach from our hotel to have some lunch here. We arrived a little after 1pm and found the place already hopping but not too packed. The place is full of booths with beach or street views. We sat at a nice booth with a view of the beach. As we perused the menu my wife pointed out that the floor is made of sand; with that off came the flips. The menu had a nice variety of pizzas, salads, sandwiches and pasta. We were both quite hungry and decided to order two individual sized Margherita pizzas. We chose some ice cold Seybrews to enjoy as our beverages.

Considering this is an island and I was expected things to be on "Island Time"; service here was very fast and our pizzas came out in ten minutes. Our pizzas arrived at the table bubbling hot with gooey cheese and the right amount of tomato. The crust was super thin the way I like it and very tasty. We both enjoyed our pizzas while listening to the crashing waves; how sweet is that.

I really enjoyed the simple, relaxed beach atmosphere as well as the good food. To me this is everything a local place should be.

****Lunch is served from 12pm-4pm. Dinner from 6pm-10:30pm****

Favorite Dish: I loved the pizza here. I am a big fan of thin crust pizza and they did it just right here. The cheese was perfectly melted and very creamy. The tomato sauce was perfectly spiced. I had heard how good the pizza was here but was in disbelief until I tried it myself. The pizza really is excellent and a must have when visiting Mahe.

Coral Strand Hotel Bistro: Snacks and Drinks with a Beach View

by cjg1 Updated Jun 28, 2011

My wife and her Seybrew ( Feb 2011)

The Coral Strand Bistro is located in the Coral Strand Hotel at Beau Vallon Beach. After enjoying the Market at Beau Vallon Beach we decided to stop here for some drinks and a snack. The Bistro has some lovely outdoor tables overlooking the beach. We had a seat at a nice table for two right at the edge for the perfect water view.

It was a Wednesday night and they had Happy Hour special for drinks and food in the menu. We decided to order some Seybrews and split a small pizza. I loved being outside and enjoying the crashing of the waves and the people watching. My wife and I enjoyed watching the sky change colors as the sun began to set over Beau Vallon Beach. It was such an incredible setting that I had forgotten we had ordered food until the pizza arrived at the table.

The pizza was okay; nothing to rave about but it was before we had tried the pizza joint down the beach. Our Seybrews were nice and ice cold; perfect pizza/beach drink to enjoy.

Tea Plantation Cafe: Refreshing Afternoon Drinks

Enjoying some tea

After a tour of the tea plantation Liz, myself and our fellow traveler Caroline decided to relax with some drinks. The cafe is a simple no frills establishment right on the plantation property right next to the tea shop. The ladies decided to enjoy some of the famous Citronelle tea over ice while I chose an ice cold Seybrew.

The Citronelle tea was served in large glasses with a side of sugar syrup for sweetener. My wife loved the tea, so much so that I had to try some myself. It really is delicious and a unique taste. The fragrance is a light lemongrass and the flavor is light and refreshing. It was so good that the ladies ordered a second glass before I had even finished my Seybrew.

After our drinks we headed over to the tea shop to purchase some of this tasty Citronelle tea to enjoy back home.

Hill Top Restaurant: Pricey Dinner Buffet

Creole Buffet

The Hill Top Restaurant is perched high on a hill on the Hilton property with panoramic views of the ocean as well as the hills. Breakfast as well as dinner is served here buffet style. Every night there is a different theme to the buffet: Sunday is Indian, Monday is Creole, Tuesday is Middle Eastern, Wednesday is Chinese, Thursday is Mexican, Friday is Seafood and Saturday is Italian.

My wife and I chose to eat here only three nights during our trip for the Indian, Creole and Middle Eastern Buffet. The Indian Buffet was hands down our favorite. There were plenty of dishes to choose from and in a variety of spice levels. I enjoyed some tasty lamb dishes as well as seafood and vegetarian items. The only thing missing for us was the lack of Naan at the buffet.

The Creole Buffet was quite nice with different local dishes of meat, chicken and seafood items. I loved the spicy rice and the Creole shrimp; quite tasty. They had Creole music and dancers during the evening which was very fun to watch.

The Middle Eastern Buffet was a bit disappointment as they seemed to dumb it down for tourists who usually don't eat Middle Eastern food.

The buffet has a nice selection of fresh fruit as well as desserts. In particular I loved the Swiss Cake Roll and the Peach crumble. My wife was in heaven with the amount of mango and dragon fruit available to satisfy her love of fruit.

Service here is top notch and attentive. The buffet is pricier than you will find on the island with dinner costing around $150 US dollars. Cheaper food can be found but I would recommend trying the Creole Buffet if you must try the buffet.

Hilltop Restaurant: Good Breakfast Buffet

Two Beautiful Views at Breakfast

The Hilltop Restaurant at the Hilton is located at the top of a hill with panoramic ocean and mountain views. Breakfast as well as dinner is served here. Breakfast is served buffet style with a variety of stations with cold cereal, meats, cheeses, bread, pastry, fruit, salads, eggs, bacon, sausages, potato and a variety of juices. They also have menu items that can be ordered and are included in the buffet price such as waffles, omelets, French toast, crepes and pancakes. Orange juice, coffee drinks, teas, water and hot chocolate were included in the buffet. Since I have Diamond status with Hilton we received a daily complimentary breakfast at this buffet.

My wife and I loved starting our morning here with their fabulous buffet with the spectacular views of the water and mountains. It was so easy to get distracted while gazing at the water that time passed by without us noticing most mornings. The food here was quite nice and I really loved their French toast, Bacon and roasted potato. The French toast was so good with a crispy crust and custard interior. The potato was very good and had a nice rosemary seasoning. My wife loved their crepes and waffles with powdered sugar; it became a staple for her. The abundant supply of mangoes and fresh fruit also was a highlight to her breakfast.

The service here was spot on; we never had to ask for more tea or juice. The wait staff magically appeared to attend to every need during the meal.

Favorite Dish: The French Toast was hands down my favorite breakfast item. I have to say that it is the best French Toast I have had outside of my house.

Ocean Restaurant: Tasty Callamari

Callamari

The Ocean restaurant was the casual dining option at the Hilton's bar area. We had enjoyed plenty of tasty cocktails here during our stay but the food is spotty. One evening we decided to have our dinner here and it was a mistake. The service is wonderful as is the atmosphere but the entrees were crap. I ordered a Pad Thai that was inedible. It tasted as if they mixed it with bad ketchup. My wife ordered Fish & Chips. The chips were good but the fish was terrible. The fish was soggy and smelled "fishy". Fortunately my Seybrew was good as well as my wife's Fragolini. Needless to say we left and searched for better food elsewhere that evening.

Chalking our bad dinner experience up to ordering the "wrong" items. We gave this place another try for an afternoon snack with drinks. We ordered some fried calamari along with a Seybrew and Strawberry Daiquiri. The calamari arrived on a platter along with a nice salad with mango shreds. The calamari was quite nice and came with an herbed cream sauce for dipping. The salad was excellent with the sweet and tangy shreds of mango. This experience was good and delicious; it

Favorite Dish: The calamari was the only good food item we had here.

La Perle Noire: Tasty Steaks

Steak, veggies & fries

We decided to come to La Perle Noire for a romantic farewell dinner on our last night on Mahe. We had heard good reviews from other travelers and locals so it was an easy choice for us. The restaurant is very popular and small so reservations are a must (while we dined we were surprised at how many people were turned away for lack of reservations). We made reservations at 8pm and was surprised at how busy it was.

We were fortunate to be seated at the last available table on the patio (I would have waited for one to be available instead of sitting inside). Our waitress handed us menus and brought bread to the table. The menu had a nice array of meat as well as fish and pasta dishes. I decided to have the steak frites in a red wine sauce. My wife chose to have the steak frites in a peppercorn sauce; one of her favorites. We had just enjoyed some cocktails at the hotel bar so we decided to stick to water in the evening heat (and boy was it hot).

Our food arrived about 15 minutes after we ordered and it was steaming hot. Both of our entrees came with frites as well as vegetables. The meat was very tender, juicy and perfectly cooked to a medium. My sauce was very tasty as was my wife's; I enjoyed dipping my frites in her zesty peppercorn sauce. Portion size was big and neither of us could finish our entire meal; which was a shame.

I really enjoyed this place and this atmosphere. It was relaxing; romantic and unobtrusive. Staff didn't hover yet were a step ahead of every request. This place really exceeded its reputation.

Favorite Dish: The steak was a nicce cut of meat and cooked just the way I like it. The vegetables were tasty and fresh. The sauce was very flavorful and perfect for dipping.

Fairyland Hotel: Outside dining

Dinnertime

Perched on a sea wall overlooking a quiet bay at Pointe aux Sel, the Fairyland offers idyllic surroundings with colonial-style comforts.

Situated on Mahé in a secluded private bay, this undiscovered part of paradise, surrounded by coral, is an ideal departure point for excursions around the island.

The hotel comprises five double bedrooms and is for those seeking a tranquil, away-from-it-all location, yet it is just 10 minutes from Pointe Larue airport and 20 minutes from Victoria.

Affiliated to the world famous Marie Antoinette restaurant and guest house, Fairyland’s cuisine caters for the gourmet. The terrace breakfast, accompanied by the sunrise, is sure to provide a lasting magical memory.

Favorite Dish: We stopped here and looked around on our way to the airport.
    We had our last Seychellois dinner here before leaving the island.
    It was very good and we had a great view out over the ocean.
    There were also beautiful flowers all around the hotel.

Sunset Beach Hotel: Great Sunday buffet

Seaview

This is a very nice hotel with a pretty cove beach on one side.
    We went there for Sunday brunch . The tables were all outside, lined up beside the pretty cove.
    The food was great and the view was fantastic.
    After we ate we went for a swim.

Sundown Restaurant: Overlooking the water

by kyoub Written Aug 19, 2004

Down the road from our resort was a very good restaurant called Sundown Restaurant.
    It sits right beside the waters edge, nothing fancy, but good food.
    They were closed on Sunday. It was the only place to eat nearby so our little kitchenette came in handy.

Favorite Dish: They serve very good fish curry. One time I had green snails and fish which was much better than it sounds.

Berjaya Mah? Beach Resort

by Muya Written Aug 10, 2004

Breakfast buffet at Berjaya

We were very satisfied with the food at the hotel. We had dinner there several times in the evening and took the menu with an entry, main course, and desert. Always specialties of the islands, very good.
    And burgers at the pool at noon tasted so good too !!
    Chef selection menu ? 100 rupees
    Seybrew ? 24 rupees
    Apple juice and orange juice at the pool - 12 rupees
    Burger at the pool ? 65 rupees

Raguin's Take-Away

by Muya Written Aug 9, 2004

Dishes at the Boat House Restaurant

We?ve been there twice, we had kari koko pwason (fish curry with coconut sauce), fried fish and kari koko poulet (chicken curry with coconut sauce). Very good food, and nice employee, she even added lentils in mashed potatoes for free !
    +/- 20-25 rupees for a meal
    Closed on Sunday

Boat House

by Muya Written Aug 9, 2004

Food display at the Boat House

A nice straw hut north of Beau Vallon Beach, typical creole atmosphere ! In the evening, the buffet of 20 dishes is set on a wooden boat in the middle of the restaurant. Plenty of creole specialties (breadfruit fries, fish and chicken curries, lentils, mango and coconut chutney,...) and a barbecue for grilled fish. Also a buffet of deserts (coconut, banana with caramel,...). Yummy!!! Deserts are so good in the Seychelles !
    Around 105 rupees
    Closed on Monday

La Sirène

by Muya Written Aug 7, 2004

Sitting at La Sir��ne

A nice place to go ! A mermaid of wire and cement welcomes you in the yard in front of the restaurant. Bob, the owner is proud to tell you he has build it himself. Always happy to see fellowmen, he’ll be glad to discuss with you and offer you a drink if you are Belgian ! In fact he has been living there for more than 20 years, so he likes to know how it is back home :-)
    A straw hut next to the sea, how neat ! We sat with M. Bob telling us stories of the time when he was in the army and watching birds coming around to have some food. Really nice ! After a look at the tortoises in their pen, we had to decide about the meal…how difficult, everything seemed so good ! We finally had different meals to taste a bit of everything, stuffed crab, grilled fish, shrimps…a real feast ! They also have roasted bats but we didn't dare to try it… they're so cute :-)
    I don't remember the exact price we payed...
    Opened from 12 to 5 pm

Instant Answers: Mahé

Comments

Mahé Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mahé restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mahé sightseeing.