Safety Tips in Seychelles

• Warnings and Dangers
  • Warnings and Dangers

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Seychelles

• Saagar's Profile Photo

Weather and surf forecast for the Seychelles

by Saagar Updated Apr 4, 2011

Wondering about the weather, wind direction, surf etc?

Check this and you may perhaps not get disappointed for what it's like at La Passe, La Digue today and the next few days...

www.surf-forecast.com.breaks/LaPasse_1.1to3.shtml

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Surfing
    • Beaches

• Customs and arriving at the aiport

by miss.kaye Written Jan 13, 2011

Most tourists that come to Seychelles are either couples looking for a romantic getaway (really popular honeymoon location) or families enjoying the beach. So if you are single, you will be questioned rather heavily on why you chose to go there. Having said that, everyone should have all documents (RETURN flight tickets, proof of accommodation, receipts for anything purchased from your departure point) ready for inspection - immigration is really strict on their rules.

• Money matters

by miss.kaye Written Jan 13, 2011

1. Seychelles is not cheap. If you are planning on packing your trip with as many activities and want to try out all the local cuisine, chances are, you will be spending more than you initially thought you would. While the beaches are (mostly) free, everything else is not, and tourists actually pay a much higher rate than the locals do. Once you get to the airport, change as much money as safely possible. If you insist on using your cards, you'll be hit with some rather steep exchange rates from your bank.

2. If you are going to use your card sporadically to withdraw at ATMs, be warned that not all cards will work. Barclays is the main bank in Seychelles. If you are Australian, my CBA card wasn't accepted at any of the 3 I used!

• Animal crualty is all over the world.

by MarilynPalsa Written Dec 15, 2009

Reffering to danger or warning abuse in the Seychelles. That person who wrote about animal crualty in the Seychelles is full of ***. Let me tell that person that I've seen worst animal
    crualty overseas. Where animal dump in a frigit temperautre and find their own ways to find food. I had lots on my door step, my hearth was broken to see animal in frigit temperature starving to death or trying to keep them warm , so my daughter and I always have to feed them. Animals where their nails does't get cut and can hardly walk because their nails are to long. Lots of people overseas tortured animal. Seychelles is a paradise, maybe the person who wrote about animal crualty was trying to stay in the Seychelles and then he was not accepted to live in the country then he went ahead to gossip about animals crualty. I see animals in the Seychelles are free like a bird in the sky, because they have their freedom to live like an animal. Animals surpose to be free!

• Rallyant's Profile Photo

Spiders, waves, nasty things

by Rallyant Written Oct 13, 2008

My girlfriend is from the seychelles and she is SUPER scared of spiders! just coming in the front door when we get home each night is a drama incase there is a spider there. But when we are in seychelles she is fine! has no problems with the spiders there. the big yellow ones never bother her, as they keep out of the way as others have said. I did manage to find a BIG spider one night in her sisters pool filter, it looked just like the hunsmans we have here in Australia that I use to play with as a kid, but unlike them, this thing was AGRO! I went to pick it up and chuck of over there retaining wall and it just wanted to fight me! It wouldnt even run away when i tried to scare it away from the pool. I normaly dont like killing anything but i wasnt to worried when they killed this one.
    Nothing has ever bothered me there. we normally stay 6 weeks at a time when visiting and i happily run around bare foot everywhere we go and go snorkeling almost everyday, swim almost everywhere, there are a couple of big wave spots for surfers only, stay out of the water here! people have died putting an end to what should have been a great trip. its no fun to swim in those waves anyway, there are plenty of good spots for swimming. They are not really any worse that a lot of the surf beaches here in Australia, but we have a lot of turos get into trouble in them too, fortunately we have surf lifesavers at a lot of beaches. Seychelles has none at these ones. leave the waves for people that want and know surf well)
    The only problem i have ever had in Seychelles was jumping on a broken bottle in the cliffs on Cerf island, it wasn't to bad. It needed a couple of stitches but we didn't get back to the main island and a Dr in time to get that done. So i just super glued it together witch sealed it up along with some band aids to hold it together and I managed to continue diving and snorkeling the rest of the trip :)
    But i will be, and do recommend some sandals you don't mind taking into the water, and ill defiantly be taking a rashy(long sleeve swimming top) to protect from the sun at times from now on!
    There are many political issues, but as a turo you will not be effected by them. other than the fact the island is loosing a lot of REALLY REALLY nice spots that really make the island what it is and the place so appealing to tourists to more resorts, The government is handing over prime locations (some stolen from locals that owned the land) to development in an effort to get more turo $$$

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo

Buying Coco de Mer

by Dyesebel Updated May 7, 2008

If you are buying Coco de Mer as a souvenir,make sure it has a green tag.It serves as permit to be exported legally and always ask for a receipt.Coco de Mer costs from 2,000 SCR (200 Euros) and above depending on the size and quality.

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Local currency

by MikeAtSea Written Apr 4, 2008

The Seychelles have implemented foreign exchange restrictions. All foreigners visiting the islands have to pay for services, such as restaurants, hotels and activities with foreign currency, local Seychelles Rupees are not accepted. Therefore it is advisable not to carry large amounts of local currency, since these may only be accepted in a few shops on the islands and cannot be changed into foreign currency. The main foreign currency on the islands is the Euro.

• School Holidays
    • Business Travel

• iammon's Profile Photo

Palm Spiders

by iammon Written Mar 10, 2008

If you do not like spiders. It might not be the best place to visit.

Everywhere in the bushes, trees those palm spiders will build their nets. If you hike arround you will not be able to miss them.

However they are acctually harmless.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Protected and Forbidden to Export

by kenHuocj Updated Aug 11, 2007

Coco-de-mer or "sea-coco"
    a beautiful seed not to be exported from it's habitat
    nor smuggled out of Seychelles.
    Brandon Head's book The Food of the Gods, A Popular Account of Cocoa
    publisxhed in 1903, republished as an e-book by Gutenberg.org
    includes the "Sea-Coco", because of the name, sex emporiums have climbed onboard too
    The Coco-de-Mer palm produces the largest seed in the world and is endemic to only two of the 115 Seychelle Islands. The plants have separate sexes and thus there are male trees and female trees.
    NB: designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1983
    &L[http://www.sif.sc/index.php?langue=eng&rub=34]Vallée de Mai of 19.5ha on Praslin Island has a palm forest is dominated by the endemic Coco de Mer (Koko-d-Mer Lodoicea maldivica).

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Study Abroad

• Mara_2's Profile Photo

In August, watch out for falling bread-fruits!

by Mara_2 Written Jul 25, 2007

While we were driving around, we noticed that many cars has a bumps on their hoods. We were asking ourselves why when we assisted to an incredible thing: a large bread fruit fall down from a bread-fruit tree directly on a car!
    So, take care when driving under bread-fruit trees when they are ripe (we were there in August, so I presume that is the month they get ripe)!

• Mara_2's Profile Photo

Do not touch anything in the sea!

by Mara_2 Updated Jul 18, 2007

The Seychelles are truly blessed islands since there are no mortally dangerous animals!
    Anyway, there are certain shells called Geographicus that expell poisenous darts and they can really make very unpleasent your holiday!

Underwater is reccomended NEVER to touch anything!

And do not forget that you should NOT WALK upon the coral barrier!

• bojan74's Profile Photo

Roads and animals

by bojan74 Updated Mar 24, 2007

Especially for people that are not used to drive on left side must be careful how to drive. I had problems at beginning because I was not common to change gears with left hand and also problems with indicators. But more dangerous is that roads are usually just cut off on both sides (sometimes only a few sometimes even for 2 meters), so if you drive too much on left side, you can easily fall off the road.

This happened also to me just about 20 minutes later when I got car at airport. I was driving too much on left side and just for a while I looked at map and suddenly fell down off the road so left wheels were about half meter down and right wheels were still on road. Thanks god people there are very kind and nice. After a few minutes (seconds) when I was looking around what to do about 7 men come around without I am asking them anything and lift my car on put it on road again!!! I was very lucky that car wasn't damage so in next days I was much more careful during driving.

About animals I didn't have any bad experience. You can see some small white cancers on beaches that are hidding in some holes that were made by them. You can also see some red cancers but they don't look danger at all. They run away and hide as soon as you move a little. I didn't see any snakes and any other smaller insects despite I was walking in woods and around. I saw only a few spiders on La Digue (like the one on pic) when I was walking to the beach.

• craigaio's Profile Photo

General warnings

by craigaio Written Nov 8, 2006

Just got back from the Seychelles (November 2006) Here are a few useful tips:

1) SPIDERS - Seychelles is not a good place for arachnophobes...palm spiders are everywhere...on bushes especially! they are harmless and stay in their webs! Also they avoid humans...so you don't usually come across them on paths, even through woods they tend to make their webs well away from the path. I don't like spiders but they didn't bother me...they did bother my mum though!!!

2) SHARP CORAL -Take sandals for the sea! In some areas especially it is easy to cut your foot on the coral which is very sharp. Not all beaches have this problem, mainly the ones with a reef.

3) WATER - When going on walks, take plenty of water! The climate here is very humid and you sweat buckets!

4) MOSQUITOS - BEWARE the excursion to cousin island where you will be taken on a walk around the reserve...take lots of mosquito repellant...the mosquitos...not exagerating...are everywhere and follow you!

5) SUN BURN - Remember that the Seychelles are practically on the equator, meaning that the sun is directly above you and will burn you even with sun lotion factor 30 on! Reapply sun lotion continuously

6) MONEY - Take EUROS.....forget pounds sterling...nobody wants them...dollars are accepted but EUROS are DEFINATELY the preferred currency. rupees ok for buying things from small shops, fast food etc...but most of these places also take euros! Before going on holiday, travel agencies told us that dollars and pounds were the preferred currency! Take no notice! Most tourists here are european.....so EURO is the only currency you will need!

7) EXPENSIVE - The Seychelles are expensive...select carefully where you have lunch if on a budget

8) MONEY EXCHANGE: It is illegal to change money into rupees without using an offical place to change..i.e banks, hotels. Especially on Mahe, there are many people who try to get you to ilegally change up money

Seychelles are fantastic! We had a very enjoyable holiday! Hope the tips help! Enjoy your holiday!

• Beaches

• roxane&jose's Profile Photo

Sting-Ray's, Sharks, Tarantulas, Rats

by roxane&jose Written Oct 26, 2006

There are sting ray's in Baie Ste Anne (The main Bay). This is the only place we saw them, but we saw about four every day. The Sting Ray's are not particularly aggressive but stay away from them anyway because if they feel cornered they may attack. We know of atleast one injury where some *** tried to kill a stingray with a knife and ended up being rushed to the hospital, paralysed for 2 days.

We killed two enormous tarantulas in our room one day. We emptied a can of repellant on them, to no effect. Eventually we had to swat them with the fly swatter.

We didn't see any live rats, but we came accross some humongous road kill. See in the photo it's size compared to my hand...and check out his teeth!

We also saw a smallish shark fin one day in the bay hanging around some seaweed.

• mandy66's Profile Photo

SEA URCHINS

by mandy66 Written Nov 2, 2005

Watch out for sea urchins - they are everywhere in the waters of the Seychelles and apparently VERY painful if stood upon !!!! so watch where you put your feet - especiall y
    near or on rocks or if you stand on the ocean floor without looking !! - wear some sort of footwear where swimming if possible.

Seychelles Hotels

10 Reviews - 13 Photos
Île Denis Hotels
Conception Island Hotels

Instant Answers: Seychelles

Comments

Seychelles Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Seychelles warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Seychelles sightseeing.
Map of Seychelles