Hargeysa Travel Guide

I Love Somaliland
    by foretopman
  • Gate to Somaliland's Liaison Office in Addis Ababa
    Gate to Somaliland's Liaison Office in...
    by foretopman
  • Hargeysa
    by DAO

Hargeysa Things to Do

by thelittlevoice Written Jan 4, 2008

If you walk around in Hargeisa, you're definitely going to notice this MiG jet, a jet that bombed the city. There were a lot of Somalilanders around the monument when I was there.

Hargeysa Transportation

by thelittlevoice Updated Jan 4, 2008

I went into Hargeisa from Harar, Ethiopia. I took a bus from Harar at 7am to Jijiga, 15 Birr, arrived in Jijiga around 11.45am. Then got on a minibus from Jijiga to Wajaale at 12pm, also 15 Birr, arrived in Wajaale around 1.45pm. This was the most packed ride I've ever been on in Ethiopia. It was just a minibus and there were at least 30 of us. Once in Wajaale, watched for the MAO sign to get your Ethiopian visa stamped out. Then walked for about 200m to get your Somaliland visa stamped in. Both processes were no hassle. From Wajaale, I took a shared taxi to Hargeisa for $5, took almost 2 hours, there were like 5 checkpoints so it slowed us down a bit even though the driver drove very fast. The driver dropped us right at the Oriental Hotel.

I took a flight out from Hargeisa on Ethiopian Airlines. When I bought the flight, it was supposed to be Hargeisa - Dire Dawa - Addis Ababa but it turned out to be Hargeisa - Addis Ababa. I was lucky(or not?) to be on the same flight as the Somaliland's President. Had a few words with him. Probably due to the fact that he was there, our bags were throughly searched many times. The departure tax was $30 and $2 for security.

Hargeysa Tourist Traps

• DAO's Profile Photo

by DAO Written Mar 4, 2007

Taxi drivers are the greatest thieves and worst sort of human on the planet. Many people stay at the Ambassador Hotel because they have a web-site and other perfectly good hotels do not (Please see my Hotel Tips on my Somalia Page). You can WALK to the Ambassador from the Airport. The guards inside the Airport secure area also own taxis. Parasites, every last one of them. They will tell you that the ‘Official’ rate is $10. Total lie and a rip-off! Pay no more than $1-2. The other Taxi drivers outside will do it. If not, start walking towards the gate. They will get the idea that you know how close the hotel is.

For $5 (max) they will take you from the Airport to the far side of the city. For $10 they stay with you for 1 hour and drive you around.

• Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

Hargeysa Favorites

by thelittlevoice Written Jan 18, 2008

Favorite thing: I got my visa done in Addis Ababa. It took only 5 minutes. I had a friend called the office a few days ahead to make sure the ambassador would be there. The number is 2511 635921 / 635922. In Addis Ababa, I stayed with a host from hospitalityclub.org and his place is on Bole St. The Somaliland Representative is between Bole St. and Cameroon St. so I could easily walk there and to my surprise, it was easy to find. I didn't get lost at all. If you take a taxi there, you might wanna tell the driver to go to Atlas Hotel and then keep walking on Cameroon St. towards Ring Rd. for about 300m. If Divine is finally within your sight, cross the road and get into an unnamed road. This road is the second road from Divine. Walk along the road until you see the Madagascar Embassy, turn right into the little road. If you see Mozambique Embassy, it means you already pass it. The Somaliland Representative is on the right. The door has a little sticker of its flag. You need one photo and 350Birr(or $40).

by thelittlevoice Written Jan 4, 2008

Favorite thing: You can find many little stalls on the streets that can change your money(sorry no picture, I thought I took one but I can't seem to find it). It's not necassary to exchange your money though. You can easily use USD. $1 equals a bit over 6000 Shillings.

by thelittlevoice Written Jan 4, 2008

Favorite thing: I made one phonecall back home from Telesom Office which is a few minutes walk from Oriental Hotel. I think I talked for about 2-3 minutes and it costs $1.5. It was a lot cheaper than in Ethiopia. Dial 00 follow by your country code and number.

Instant Answers: Hargeysa

Comments

Hargeysa Travel Guide
Map of Hargeysa