Addo Travel Guide

Addo Things to Do

• Jacksprat's Profile Photo
    A lone male elephant... be weary!

by Jacksprat Written Sep 12, 2004

Addo itself is nothing to see... the whole reason people know about it is because of the elephant park nearby.
    I'm not so fond of elephants myself, but how could I let a friend down who'd come to visit from England - ofcause he wants to see elephants in the 'wild'... so we ventured into the elephant park.
    With me driving and trying to look in every mirror and out of every window (as they teach you to when you go for your driving test) - just to make sure there wasn't an elephant lurking about that I wasn't aware of! They take you by surprise when they get too close!

• Eco-Tourism

Addo Hotels

Addo Warnings and Dangers

Read the sign!!!

by Jacksprat Written Sep 12, 2004

Once in the Elephant Park there is one place where you can get out of your car - climb over a huge fence type thing into an enclosed 'camp' - you're on the inside - the ellies are on the outside... yup, just other side the fence at the water hole. You can hear them breathing... I was totally freaked out when the one lifted it's trunk into the air pointing in OUR direction!!! - us humans must stink! It wasn't long and I was on my way back to the car... only to be told later that there's an embankment (which you can't see from inside the enclosure) between our lookout point and the elephants!

And then, on our way out we noticed this sign for the first time!!! Here we were, thinking we should stay clear of elephants!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

Addo Off The Beaten Path

Keep your distance!

by Jacksprat Written Sep 12, 2004

Don't stay too deep into the bush... you might get cornered by a herd of elephants.

I felt half bad cause most of the time I was praying we wouldn't see elephants. I was driving and I didn't want to be surprised by one of them and then freak out and stall the car and not be able to drive cause I'm so nervous! We started off by seeing one lonely male on his own at the water hole (which was enough for me) - but needless to say we continued to search... it wasn't too long and we came acoss atleast 15 elephants wallowing at a different water hole. Well, we watched from a distance... they are mighty big animals... and you don't want to pick a fight with one of them!

Drive carefully and don't look for trouble - they are bigger than you!!!

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Addo

Comments

Addo Travel Guide
Map of Addo