Pilanesberg National Park, Johannesburg

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Spending a day at Pilanesberg Game Reserve

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 7, 2014

Wildebeest

I had a few days in Jo'burg before my return home and since I wanted to see and photograph as many of South Africa's animals as possible, I decided to do a day trip to Pilanesberg Game Reserve. I was happy I decided to visit this reserve as it afforded me the possibility of seeing a large variety of birds that I did not see in Kruger.

I arranged my visit to Pilanesberg with a tour company (Mo Afrika) which provided a full day at the reserve. The price include hotel pick-up and drop-off drive through the park, and park entrance fee. The length of the tour was 12 hours long from pick up to drop off.

Since there were only three of us on this tour, the company provided a sedan instead of a van/truck. We were picked up at about 6:00 am for a 2 hour drive, right before the park opening.

• Photography
    • Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Pilanesberg National Park

by DunaKal Written Sep 7, 2003

Giraffes@Pilanesberg Park

We took a tour to this park,,it`s a 55.000ha.it took us about 2 hours to get there from Sandton.
    We saw :
    Giraffes,Elephants,Hippopotamuses,Zebras,
    Ostriches,and one fox!!
    We were not lucky enough to see any lions!!!
    Here is a picture of the Giraffes,I`m sorry but I had to mark the picture so you can actually see them.

• Safari
    • National/State Park
    • Photography

• Pilansburg National Park

by Billy_26 Written Aug 25, 2002

A not to be missed adventure.

The Pilanesberg National Park is one of South Africa's largest National Parks, covering an area of 55 000ha. The Pilanesberg area, is in fact the crater of a long extinct and eroded volcano, thought to have been formed 1 200 million years ago.

Spectacular landscapes are a feature of this area: four rings of hills encircle the reserve and a large central lake is a hotspot for game activity.

With an incredible diversity of game - you're almost certain to spot at least one member of the Big Five during a drive. The park also has 364 species of birdlife.

Accessibility is a keyword at The Pilanesberg National Park. There are nearly 200 km of well-maintained roads for game drives, and professional guides operate within the reserve.

Guests are not restricted to staying in a car, as there are numerous hides and picnic spots - where you are free to stretch your legs.

Dawn and dusk game drives are possible even for day visitors from Johannesburg or Sun City due to the convenient opening hours.

Pilansburg has an excellent and clean camping ground with two swimming pools.

Malaria tablets are of course not neccesary in this park!

• crazyguitar's Profile Photo

Pilanesberg National Park

by crazyguitar Written Dec 10, 2002

A zebra in Pilanesberg

If you wanna see some African animals and participate in a safari go there. More info in my Pilanesberg page.

Instant Answers: Johannesburg