Hermanus Restaurants

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Harbour Rock: Local Place in the New Harbor

by TRimer Updated Apr 4, 2011

Joe in front of the Gecko Bar

While I really wanted to try out the Milkwood restaurant in town, the manager of our B&B convinced us to try out Harbour Rock- saying the other place was stuffy. I have to admit that I was not too impressed with Harbour Rock. It had a feel like a seafood place in the states. Outside seating on the water (but it was too cool to sit outside) and lots of wood inside. We walked from our B&B to the restaurant which in hindsight was not a great idea as we had to walk past 2 empty warehouses.

Favorite Dish: I had the spicy beef salad which was heavy on the beef and not on the salad. It is definately more of a place to go to have some seafood and a beer than fine dining.

• Whale Watching

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Savannah Cafe: A great little restaurant in Hermanus

by mikelisaanna Updated Oct 21, 2009
    The Savannah Cafe

Savannah Cafe is a small restaurant a block or two inland from the water in Hermanus. We stumbled across it when we got lost trying to find the boat for our whale-watching tour - we did a U-turn in the restaurant's parking lot.

After our whale-watching tour was finished, we decided to eat a late lunch before driving back to Cape Town. Someone in the van suggested checking out the restaurant from our earlier parking lot U-turn. We went back to the Savannah Cafe and had a great meal. The food was good, the beer was cold, and the staff was very friendly. We had a great conversation with the owners, who gave us some great advice for the drive back to Cape Town. They sent us on a route that had some of the best sunset views that we've ever seen.

The menu features a variety of dishes, ranging from simple sandwiches to full dinners. We tried a variety of them, including burgers, sandwiches, and fish dishes, and all were good. There are both indoor and outdoor tables. The restaurant was also very kid-friendly. Our 8-year old daughter loved her meal.

We highly recommend the Savannah Cafe.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Savannah Cafè: Nice Place for Lunch with a View

by TRimer Written Jul 5, 2007

After walking around Hermanus and looking at the menus posted on all the outside cafes, I decided to try out the Savannah Cafe which is located on the second floor of a building in the village square with a view of the water. While I sat inside, they do have an outside balcony that looks out onto the water.

Favorite Dish: The waitress convinced me to try the ice coffee which was more of an milkshake- I was not disappointed. I also had a wonderful turkey sandwich. They have loads of salads and healthy sandwiches. Much better than the egg and fried offerings from the other restaurants around town.

• Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Ash59's Profile Photo

Andy's Pizza & Burger Bar: Basic but good

by Ash59 Written Aug 20, 2006

Andy's Bar

There are several places to choose from along the front of Hermanus to find something to eat. We chose this place because we just wanted something basic and a drink. It was not until after we had the meal, that it dawned on us that the name of the place was named after me!

We wanted something basic but the menu did us proud. Loads of different burgers and several different Pizza's and other stuff besides, there was plenty to choose from and we all came away duly stuffed and replenished.

Favorite Dish: Don't know about my favourite dish but one of the brilliant things about this place is that you can sit outside in the sunshine and view the whole of the Bay. If a whale should appear, well, get out the binoculars and have a look!

• Beaches

• cleocat's Profile Photo

The Fish Shop: The best calamari

by cleocat Written Jun 27, 2005

ocean

It is more of a take-away than a restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The calamari and chips. The portions are enormous. Too much actually but it is so nice you just overeat every time. It is cheap. About R20. Half the price that you will pay at a Fishmonger and ten times as nice. The Fishmonger's calamri is very nice. That should give you an idea how nice it is.

Ocean Basket: Ocean Basket

by pmarshuk Updated Sep 19, 2003

Part of a chain but this was the one where I had the best seafood. They have a good menu - but check out the chalkboards for specials.
    One other great attraction is the price. It just seems so cheap. For under 100 rand per person you can eat like a king

Favorite Dish: Baby Kingklip : a whole small kingklip done to perfection. So tasty
    It only appears on the specials menu - not the printed one.

• SESM's Profile Photo

Bientangs Cave Restaurant: Whales Over Lunch

by SESM Written Sep 6, 2003

Looking down on Bientangs Cave

Located directly on the rocks at the waters edge, this restaurant is indeed partially in a cave that once was the home of a local Bushman resident. The salad bar and bar are in the cave while the rest of the tables are out (picnic tables) on the deck overlooking the sea. In fact the lower tables aren't used when the sea is rough because the waves spray them! The seafood is excellent as is the service (altho you want a slow meal so that you can sit and whale watch). Great spot for whale watching!!

Favorite Dish: The "linefish" or fish of the day is always a good bet! The homemade bread is good and there's a decent wine list.

• Whale Watching
    • Beaches

Marine Hotel: Great Seafood

by pmarshuk Updated Aug 29, 2003

I've only eaten here when invited to do so by my daughter and son-in law, otherwise it would be beyond what I'm willing to spend. But it is nice to indulge occasionally.
    Once we had the seafood basket here. For two of us we got enough for four (and I'm not a light eater), filled with a glorious selection of seafood. The highlights were the crayfish (enormous) and the linefish, mind you the prawns were great also.

The Harbour Rock: Enjoy the view

by pmarshuk Written Aug 13, 2003

Great location overlooking the new harbour. Very tasty meals with extremely generous portions.
    My only problem with here was on my second visit when they had replaced the Whalehaven Pinot Noir with one from Hamilton Russel. Not really a lot to choose bewteen them, they are both superb, but the Whalehaven was just my favourite.
    Attached to the restaurant is a popular bar. because this was close to where my daughter was living we came in here quite often after a night out.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Steak!

by littlebush Written Feb 10, 2003

mobys do some food but if you have a bit extra to spend then go to the Steakhouse opposite. I think the guy who works at moby's dad owns the steakhouse so he'll probably send you over there at some point. Its quite a posh place but it has the best fillet steak ive ever had in my life! This and a bottle of wine between two for 140rand! another south african bargain!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Dassiesfontein: Coffee anyone

by mvtouring Written Apr 30, 2004

Now this is what I call heaven. Drinking your coffee in these surroundings with these two lovely paintings on the wall. The food they serve are great.

Instant Answers: Hermanus

Comments

Hermanus Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hermanus restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hermanus sightseeing.