facts, Kruger National Park

Know about this? Rate It!

• facts
    by nora_south_africa
  • facts
    by nora_south_africa
  • The elephant 5 seconds before she chased me.
    The elephant 5 seconds before she chased...
    by DamatDave
  • nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

RSA to Mozambique via park

by nora_south_africa Written Nov 24, 2011

Favorite thing: People who travel over borders via KNP will require to overnight in the park, not just drive through, proof of overnight stay will be required at borders.Please check with KNP or on their website for more details.

• DamatDave's Profile Photo

Making Reservations for Kruger

by DamatDave Updated Nov 27, 2006
    The elephant 5 seconds before she chased me.

Favorite thing: Camping in Kruger is great fun, and it doesn't take much. I did it literally with just a tent and sleeping bag. A little preparation before hand would have made things a bit smoother for me once in the park. True to my form, I made no reservations whatsoever, and just rolled into a restcamp and asked for a permit. I was lucky since there was a sympathetic worker on hand and he sold me four nights worth for that camp. He then told me to just camp in whatever restcamp I wanted to. So long as I had the right number of nights paid for upon exiting I would be fine. I don’t know if that trick would work today, but the moral of the story is make reservations early, and by early I mean 9 months or so. The Afrikaners like to camp, and Kruger is one of the cheapest places to do so. So it fills up quick!

Fondest memory: Fondest Memory? Getting chased by a pissed off cow elephant and successfully getting out of her way.

• Adventure Travel
    • Camping

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Health and disease awareness

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 18, 2006

African rivers

Favorite thing: When travelling in any rural area, always be aware of what you are eating and drinking, and what little dangers there might be. Rather be safe than sorry!

Besides malaria, there are other diseases such as dengue and sleeping sickness carried by insects. These are not that common though, and you need only take the usual precautions of wearing long sleeves and trousers, not shorts, and using Tabard and repellents.

South African water is very tasty and perfectly drinkable when out of a tap. Do not drink water out of a river though. This could prove fatal. Avoid swimming in stagnant water too, as there could be ecoli present.

AIDS is rife in South Africa, sadly, so the use of condoms is a MUST.

• Safari
    • Business Travel

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Kruger Park map

by Jenniflower Written Oct 9, 2005

Kruger Park Map

Favorite thing: This is a map of Kruger Park, in South Africa. It lies on the border of Mozambique.

The South end is the more popular end... where there seem to be more animals... in the north there are more elephants... (in the south there are plenty of elephants too!).

Fondest memory: I have stayed at most of the rest camps. I havent stayed at any of the private lodges as they are very expensive plus I prefer the rest camps, and dont need the luxury of the lodges. The park camps accommodation is very comfortable and clean, with a variety of accommodation available.

• Birdwatching

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Seasons

by MikeAtSea Written Feb 17, 2005

Dry Season in the Lowveld

Favorite thing: Rainy Season:
    The subtropical climate has hot rainy summers starting in October and ending around March. The summer rains transform the arid park into a lush flowering paradise, but the increased foliage does make animals harder to see.

Dry Season:
    The winter months from April to September are extremely pleasant with warm dry days and cold nights. Traditionally, the best game viewing is in the winter as the vegetation becomes sparse and water is restricted to rivers and water holes.

• Eco-Tourism

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Be prepared to wait.

by K.Knight Written Dec 15, 2004

The long wait.

Favorite thing: While in Africa you should expect to wait in line for some considerable amount of time! At border crossings it is nothing to wait 3 or 4 hours for a stamp in your passport.
    Here we are waiting for our tickets to enter the Kruger National Park, which only took 40 minutes because there were no groups in front of us!

• MattTB's Profile Photo

Waking Up Early and Safari Drives

by MattTB Updated Aug 15, 2003

Favorite thing: Firstly wake up early! The park gates open at 6 am at the camps and you want to be one of the first out as many good sightings can be found at dawn.

Secondly, if you want to see as many animals as possible, you need to spend as much time as possible out on a safari drive. Luckily thanks to my guide, 'the bearded heron' I was not restriced to one drive a day, I could spend all day on a drive if I wished. I did this and as a result saw the 'big five' and many other great animals!! I think my first day was full of normal sitings.. ie Zebra, Impala.. they are everywhere! Then at about noon on the second day I got my first big cat siting and everything got better from there!!

Fondest memory: The wildness, the open space full of amazing animals!

• Safari
    • Desert

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

BOOKINGS FOR DEC 2012

by nora_south_africa Written Nov 24, 2011

Favorite thing: Please note that bookings for the period 1 December 2012 – 31 January 2013 will open on Tuesday, 17 January 2012 at 07:30 a.m.

Instant Answers: Kruger National Park

Comments

Other Favorites in Kruger National Park

View all Kruger National Park hotels