Pilanesberg Favorites

Terrapins on the tree

Most Recent Favorites in Pilanesberg

Mo Afrika Tours

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 5, 2014

Favorite thing: I choose Mo Afrika mainly for the convenience. I had already arranged a personal tour of Soweto and Sterkfontein Caves and I wanted to see more of the animals so I asked the driver bringing me back to Johannesburg if he had any recommendations.

Turns out that Mo Afrika Tours is owned by the son of Viva Safaris the tour company I used in Kruger. The driver called Anthony and asked about the Pilanesberg tour and if it was available for the next day, price, and all the info I needed.

I spoke with Anthony and gave him my hotel information and arranged for Mo Afrika to take me to Pilanesberg the next day. Anthony was very pleasant and informed me that there was another party doing the tour and that my price would be R 1350 (about $130 US).

I was promptly picked up at 6 am and then on to pick up the rest of the party. The drive to Pilanesberg is about two hours in navigable roads.

We arrived at a rest stop area where we were able to grab some breakfast, water and any other items we wanted to take with us to the park as we arrived about 1/2 before the park opening. From the rest stop to the park entrance was about another 15 minutes.

We broke for lunch about 1 pm and the driver dropped us off at Sun City where we grabbed a quick bite to eat before returning for the rest of the tour.

Overall I would recommend Mo Afika Tours and would definitely use them again if the need arises.

Contact information :

120 Sandton Road
    Norton Home Estates
    1501 Benoni
    Johannesberg

Anthony : +27 82 506 9641; email : ask@moafrikatours.com
    www.moafrikatours.com

Fondest memory: Getting the opportunity to see many of the birds that I didn't see in Kruger was the high light of my trip to Pilanesberg. The terrain and the views from the top of the mountain was a wonderful experience.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Keep your eyes wide open!!

Terrapins on the tree

Favorite thing: I can't state this strongly enough!!!

If you want to see as many of the animals as possible you have to have your eyes wide open. During my visit to Pilanesberg the other party was relying on the driver to spot the animals and unfortunately the driver only has two eyes and could only spot the animals along the driver side.

I had my eyes open and scanning the terrain. I would say I spotted most of the antelopes as well as the birds we saw during this trip. I spotted the eagles as well as terrapins, storks and the owl as well as a few warthogs coming from a mud bath.

Since you're in a moving vehicle, it can be challenging, but it's fun and exciting when you spot some of the animals that you haven't seen yet.

Fondest memory: I was able to spot some amazing birds that I didn't have the opportunity to see in Kruger.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

More than just the "Big 5"

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 5, 2014
    Done with my bath now time to play

Favorite thing: Unfortunately, too many people are only interested in seeing the "Big 5" that they miss the opportunity to see some of the other great animals that call Africa home.

Spotting giraffes, zebras, warthogs, a variety of antelope as well as water birds and birds of prey is quite exciting....these animals are just as interesting and unique in their own way and watching them in their natural habitat going about their daily lives is a wonderful experience.

Some of the experiences that I enjoyed seeing included some warthogs getting out of a mud bath and running towards each other and playing...they were oblivious to us watching them go about their business.

I also enjoyed watching a stenbok near the road just licking the side of the road...I wondered what it was that she was licking as I didn't see anything that would have caused her to do so.

Fondest memory: Getting the opportunity to see some of this world's beautiful beings in their natural habit is a wonderful experience that can't be compared to too many other life experiences.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

Restaurant burnt down!/ rebuilt now

by nora_south_africa Updated May 16, 2009

Favorite thing: so.... please take a picnic basket and enough drinks, or there is a restaurant at manyane or bring goodies to make a (braai) there are places to make a braai at the picnic areas....
    this restaurant has now been rebuilt... here you can have lunch and drinks ( Pilanesberg Centre)

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Just GO

by Openseas Updated Dec 31, 2007

Favorite thing:

My friend, you captured me or did I
    you are so you, and I am so me
    forever seeking a fleeting moment of rest
    in a turmoil of confusion.

A moment of ecstasy between us
    a flash, departing in a second
    precious , magical moments
    seeping silently between you and me.

If for a moment I could love you
    hold you and be you
    would our love together be forever
    stronger than this second

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

Please do not litter

by nora_south_africa Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: litter can cost the life of an animal.. please take a bag in which to put your litter and put in dustbins.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

please keep to speed limits

by nora_south_africa Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: There are rangers, and you will be fined if you speed, one cant believe that some people actually speed.

Please note gate times

by nora_south_africa Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: gate times change at different times of the year so please make sure you check as you go in or on your map what the gate times are

Map of Reserve

by nora_south_africa Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: you can buy a map of the reserve at the gate please ask if they dont tell you, they also had a book with the various animals in.

Hides

by nora_south_africa Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: This game park has hides where you can get out of your car...please keep gates closed behind you for your own safety and that of others.

toilets.....

by nora_south_africa Written Apr 5, 2008

Favorite thing: are at the picnic sites... please do not get out to do this behind a bush.............you may lose..... what you dont want to lose

Instant Answers: Pilanesberg

Comments

Pilanesberg Favorites

Reviews and photos of Pilanesberg favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pilanesberg sightseeing.